Ok, so I've been practising this little part of the Fade to Black intro solo (that fast part at 0:30). I started at 60bpm and gradually made my way all the way up to 115bpm.

So, during my practice sessions I can play it perfectly. But if I pick up the guitar and try playing it straight away, it takes a few attempts before I can play it consistently. Even when I've warmed up by doing exercises and playing other songs, I still can't get it perfect on the first try.

So, what am I supposed to do?
Well, I guess it may help if you learn it even better. You will get more control. If not, I see your problem, you can play it but not at the very first attempt. Practice is the best answer I have, but there might be something else to do as well?

Well, well.. Good luck though
Quote by birdycofir
So should I go all the way back to 60bpm?
No, that's not what I tried to say. Keep practicing with metronome, but you have to go faster and faster, but still have control.
Quote by Metal-pro
No, that's not what I tried to say. Keep practicing with metronome, but you have to go faster and faster, but still have control.

I dont think the song goes higher than 115bpm. Are you saying I should go even faster so that playing at 115bpm becomes easier?
If you play the song live, you should practice it a couple times just before the show so that you're warmed up specifically for that song. Thankfully, since audiences are mainly filled with non-musicians, many non-great mistakes will be unheard by most of them.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
What i do with these kind of stuff is that i basically practice licks/riffs over the normal speed. Lets say something is played at 120 bpm normally, i often practice that stuff until i can play it at 140-150 bpm perfectly and relaxed. Then 120 is going to be effortless.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Analyze how you are used to play that and see if there's any unnecessary or straining or limiting movement you're doing and improve on that. Recently helped myself with the Crazy Train solo
@Wolfinator: No, they aren't great mistakes, but I was just wondering how to make it perfect.

@Sickz: Alright, that makes sense.

@Jyrgen: It doesn't really feel like any straining movement, it's more like my fingers are being woken up suddenly and aren't ready for it. Because that little part is a lot faster than the part before it.
I agree with Sickz. Keep building your speed on it so you can play it faster than the original tempo. That way when you play at the original speed it will be easy. As you build speed make sure you are still playing it cleanly. You dont want to sacrifice technique for speed.
oops accidently posted in wrong thread lol sorry
Last edited by ironfather0 at Feb 28, 2012,
I often have a similar problem. Not to sound rude, but I think you're simply over thinking this a bit. It might just be a case that while you're 99% of the way there, it's not quite ingrained in the muscle memory that you can play it without thinking first time. Just keep at it, you'll get there eventually with practice.
Quote by birdycofir
I dont think the song goes higher than 115bpm. Are you saying I should go even faster so that playing at 115bpm becomes easier?

That's actually something cool that John Petrucci suggests in one of his Rock Discipline videos. It works, if you manage to play faster than what you want and then back down to the desired speed.
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Observe where you slip at your first attempts and then observe what you do differently after playing it a couple of times. Maybe always one note you have to concentrate on, one finger that needs extra carefull placement....
Also often times we tend to be hasty during the faster parts. Try to play it as laid back as possible. I often realise that I have more time than I think when I try that.
If your getting it wrong you are learning to get it wrong. backup the metronome to where you play perfect when away from the guitar visualize where it should be played. if you cant its not in your memory..
But this goes up to 11
Quote by birdycofir
Excactly
What i do with these kind of stuff is that i basically practice licks/riffs over the normal speed. Lets say something is played at 120 bpm normally, i often practice that stuff until i can play it at 140-150 bpm perfectly and relaxed. Then 120 is going to be effortless.
And this is what I tried to say
Honestly, there's nothing specific that'll make this work, you just need to keep practising until you know it so well you could play it perfectly at a moments notice.
Aaaand a little bit of this :P
Last edited by Metal-pro at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by Sickz

Hm I don't get that. If you can't play something slow, then you can't play it fast. So how can you practice it over the normal speed and then go back to the normal speed ?
Quote by MattyPS
Hm I don't get that. If you can't play something slow, then you can't play it fast. So how can you practice it over the normal speed and then go back to the normal speed ?

It's not that I can't play it. The problem is that I rarely get it right on the first try. Like, I'll fk it up on the first try, then play it perfectly 100 times in a row.

And thanks for the replies.
Quote by MattyPS

I made that statement based on that TS said in the OP that he during his practice sessions were able to play the thing. At full speed. But not otherwise (or atleast not until he had played for x amount of time that day)

Just saying, worked for me. Practice it till you can play it perfectly and relaxed abit over the original tempo, it should be fine.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."