I have recently had to sell my Marshall ! I am using some of that money an buying an all tube combo amp. I have a wide range of styles to play from blues to death metal. I have no problem buying used, and my budget is $500-600 USD. Thanks in advance.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
peavey vypyr tube 60.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Heard some bad things about the vypyr's speakers being lame. Would a Vox AC15C achieve a metal tone with my pedals?
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Heard some bad things about the vypyr's speakers being lame. Would a Vox AC15C achieve a metal tone with my pedals?

not a chance. the speaker in the vypyr tube 60 is much better than the solid state models. it is much better than any of their solid states. its going to be very hard to find a amp that goes from blues to death metal in that price range. i learned that fast.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I don't think the Vox could really do what you want with metal. Lots of amps fit in this category, so it's more or less do you want options like a Vypyr Tube, or a Line 6 spider valve, or you want a straight forward amp Like a combo 5150. The Vypyr speakers are just Peavey speakers, which aren't all bad.
Quote by bobafettacheese

you're barking up the wrong tree here. keep in mind that with lower budget amps that there are compromises in quality. speakers are easy to replace and don't have to cost a fortune. you may also have to prioritize your requierments as it's difficult to find an ap that will cover all those bases for way more than your budget. honestly it sounds like a 6505+ combo may be what you need. the cleans aren't very good but it will cover your hard rock to metal styles just fine. the Vox will be as metal as your pedal will allow but honestly i think once cranked up you'd be disappointed. a tube vypyr (60) may be a really good choice and if you can find a used one you'd have enough for a replacement speaker.
Vyper tube 60 gets my vote, you cant really get a more versatile amp for under $700.

Own one myself, the stock speaker is actually very good. I have replaced mine as well and there was an improvement, but very little it more just colored my tone to more of a British style.

If you do settle on the vyper tube 60 and play more metal with lots of distortion you will probably need a noise gate/suppressor.
I like the 6505, but heard it is crazy loud though, and I have heard mixed reviews about the cleans. Does the VYPYR cover blues and cleans well, it is still technically a modeling amp, correct?
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I like the 6505, but heard it is crazy loud though, and I have heard mixed reviews about the cleans. Does the VYPYR cover blues and cleans well, it is still technically a modeling amp, correct?

yes, yes, and yes.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
romeo, how do you like your jet city, I have heard those are very good amps, especially for the price. Can you get a death metal tone out of them with the right pedal?
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
romeo, how do you like your jet city, I have heard those are very good amps, especially for the price. Can you get a death metal tone out of them with the right pedal?

i havent got it yet. but im pretty sure no way. the heaviest i really play is thrash and ill be lucky to get that out of it. i just didnt have much cash.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
You could most likely get a damn good death metal tone running a Boss HM-2 into a Jet City.

That said, the Vypyr is infinitely more versatile.

If you're just playing blues and death metal, a 2 channel Jet City may be fine (assuming you do get a pedal for actual heavy stuff).

But you said you play a range of styles in between as well. No other amp in the price range can touch a Vypyr Tube when it comes to versatility.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Own one myself, the stock speaker is actually very good. I have replaced mine as well and there was an improvement, but very little it more just colored my tone to more of a British style. (Invalid img)
Headed to the music store today. Looking into the vypyrs, a 6505, possibly a blackstar and maybe a fender blues or peavey 30. Thanks for the help everyone.
Line 6 M13
If you play a lot of (death) metal, I wouldn't rely on pedals. A pedal will never sound as good as a decent amp.
Quote by romeozdistress
. i learned that. fast.

Fixed...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin