Hello, I recently got my guitar set up at a guitar shop for a ****ing rip off price but I had to pay it because I needed it for band practice, I got it home and I noticed the high E string saddle is quite a bit lower down compared to the others resulting in the string being very close to the fretboard.

Any ideas how to fix it because I can't afford to bring it back to the shop and have it repaired. I know some of you will suggest I do this but I am really poor.

Cheers
If it doesn´t buzz its perfectly fine. The high E string should be closest to the fretboard.
Quote by Noninim
If it doesn´t buzz its perfectly fine. The high E string should be closest to the fretboard.

But its really different compared to all the other strings I haven't had a problem like this before it feels weird to play.
Obviously the bridge radius has been messed up.

What kind of guitar is it?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
You should take it back to whoever you paid for the work, tell them how you like your action, etc and get them to redo it. If they're setting up your guitar, it should be set up to your liking.

I would recommend you practice doing the work yourself... at least until you have your own tech to do it for you
Last edited by KempGuitars at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by Noninim

No, the way to check the higher strings is to do a bend on the high frets. If the string is too low it won't buzz, but when you do a bend the note will die.

Also OP, if the string does not fret out when bent, why not try lowering the 2nd and 3rd strings just a little to match and see how you like that?

Let this be a lesson to learn to do your own setups. Their is a ton of useful info on the internet, as well as videos. Someone else will not know what setup is right for you, and with the ridiculous cost of setups these days, why not do it yourself?
Quote by W4RP1G
No, the way to check the higher strings is to do a bend on the high frets. If the string is too low it won't buzz, but when you do a bend the note will die.

Also OP, if the string does not fret out when bent, why not try lowering the 2nd and 3rd strings just a little to match and see how you like that?

Let this be a lesson to learn to do your own setups. Their is a ton of useful info on the internet, as well as videos. Someone else will not know what setup is right for you, and with the ridiculous cost of setups these days, why not do it yourself?

How would I go about lowering the saddles, can you link me to a trusted topic or video? To be honest mate the reason I had to go to the guitar shop to get it sorted is because I tried to set it up myself and failed BIG TIME lol. I couldn't get the bridge to balance horizontally after numerous attempts at adjusting the screws at the back I had given up after 3 days of trying and not being able to play my guitar.
Quote by Kerbache
How would I go about lowering the saddles, can you link me to a trusted topic or video? To be honest mate the reason I had to go to the guitar shop to get it sorted is because I tried to set it up myself and failed BIG TIME lol. I couldn't get the bridge to balance horizontally after numerous attempts at adjusting the screws at the back I had given up after 3 days of trying and not being able to play my guitar.

Well, for some reason I kept thinking you had a strat. A floyd doesn't have the option to raise and lower saddles, only posts. I would strongly advise against adjusting the posts without loosening the strings if you do.

It's been years since I had a floyd, but I believe they use different saddles for the radius, so the e saddles should be the lowest saddles, but they should not be the lowest strings because they should match the contour of the fretboard.

Is it possible your B strings saddle was switched with either the G or D string saddle at some point?

The only way to manually raise 1 saddle is to slide a shim under it. Shims are usually around $10 for a pack, but you could make one if you really want to.

Floating bridges are a pain to setup, imo, but there are plenty of videos out there on youtube about it. Anything by Fruda is usually good.