Hey all!

I wanted to do some recording lately and I have some questions about that.

I have an headphone out connection on my amplifier so I guess i can just plug that straight into my microphone jack on my pc.

How do i change my sound though?, Can you setup your rig on programs like garageband and just record? or do you have to do something else?

BTW, i already own GP6, can i use that program?

Thanks all!
RIG:

Yamaha EG112
Fender Frontman 25R
Boss DS-2

Soon:
ESP LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30W
It is possible to create recordings using the PC's mic input, however they will be pretty poor. What budget do you have? If you want to create decent quality recordings, you'll need to get the proper kit - either a standalone multitracker or an interface to link up to your PC.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm already saving up for a LINE6 POD HD500 with plenty of recording possibilities but for now i just want something that sounds better than my iPod microphone :P
RIG:

Yamaha EG112
Fender Frontman 25R
Boss DS-2

Soon:
ESP LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Tbh without the gear there's nothing you can really do. Just wait it out man.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Ok man!, thanks for the help!
RIG:

Yamaha EG112
Fender Frontman 25R
Boss DS-2

Soon:
ESP LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30W
You need an interface. I expect you'd find a stereo (USB) one for $100 or so. The quality will be there, but you will have latency - a gap in time between what you play and the recording. To eliminate that (or make it small enough not to matter) takes money: $500 at least.

But USB will get you by for starters, and you can always re-purpose that cheap interface later. Example: mine is now a splitter for dividing my PC's audio output into two signals; one goes through a set of studio monitors, the other a re-purposed bass guitar rig. It's now a sub-bass system!

The Alesis iO2 is not a bad buy. It's got phantom power and "phone" outs as well as the mains, so a total of 4 outputs (2 stereo pairs of the same mix with independent levels).

You can plug the "headphone" out from your amp to that and record (I believe) 24 bit/94 kHz if you have software that can handle it. If not 16/41k sounds just fine. Just limits you on processing, especially dynamics!

That's a good idea-recording setup, so if you write a riff you can catalog it. I use a drum machine and a similar set-up. Copy/Paste 24 or so measures of 4/4 rock drums and go...

I have endless hours of music like that. Sounds none to bad, too, considering.
some mis-information in here. you can take the headphone out from your amp and run it to the line input on your computer. not mic input, line input. then a program like garage band will allow you record. i will assume that the headphone out on your amp is still being affected by the preamp. which means that you will at minimum need to load up a cabinet simulator (often done with impulses) to get a full sound. check out the vst amplification thread to learn about adding some vsts. you can skip adding the head and just go for the impulse section.
doing that is a workable setup. wont be great, but it works. but no, you cannot use GP6 to record.

what you will eventually shoot for if you continue to record, is an interface. this allows for a better connection between guitar and computer. you dont need to spend a ton to get something worth using. those $100-200 interfaces will have minimal latency and get you started. however, once you actually get into recording, you will outgrow anything with less than 2 inputs rather fast. so spending a bit more to get something a bit nicer is worth it in the long run.