I have recently realized my fret hand muting technique sucks. Most notably with high gain distortion. I realize what I need to do, but I'm having a hard time building it into musle memory. Anyone got a exercises that a drilled for building this technique? Or should I just keep doind the same old stuff and really focus on keeping that index finger down?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
use the whole hand when muting. Don't take your thumb and finger flesh for granted, since if you use it well, you can play very clean.
The picking hand matter alot too, so don't forget that.
It's hard to explain how you can learn to get better at muting, so you must practice and find out your best way yourself.
Ok, so I spent alot of hours on this last night, and I got a few questions. By habit, I "arch" my fingers to play frets, should my index finger stay flat? Or should it stay arched, and just lay back against the strings to mute? Also , should I pretty much train the index to stay against the strings, like kinda just sliding along with my hand?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
I'm not sure how much it will help you, but when I play on the higher strings, I always rest my palm on the strings above them to prevent any accidental bumps by some chance and causing excess noise.

So say I'm only playing on the B, the E, A, D, and G is what my picking hand will mute. Muting the high E though, I can't really help you in this case. It's really all just practice.
Maybe I'm missing the basics on this. Can someone point me to a tutorial or video on this subject?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Dude please read the relevant stickies before posting (sorry if you have )

Anyway, this is the relevant part of the stickie "guide to all techniques-muting"
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796
there you have a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEn...F73CEC9&index=2
and an article http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...e_-_muting.html
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Well thanks for the tip .. lol. Freepower has basically corrected my technique since I first joined this forum, in posts and in his instructionals. But I am still struggling with the 2 questions I posted earlier.
"should my index finger stay flat? Or should it stay arched" and " should I pretty much train the index to stay against the strings"
Its not really covered in the video verbally , and my pc is too crappy to make it out in the video of play.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Quote by cooper1965
Well thanks for the tip .. lol. Freepower has basically corrected my technique since I first joined this forum, in posts and in his instructionals. But I am still struggling with the 2 questions I posted earlier.
"should my index finger stay flat? Or should it stay arched" and " should I pretty much train the index to stay against the strings"
Its not really covered in the video verbally , and my pc is too crappy to make it out in the video of play.

It's good to keep your finger straight for muting, but for basic fretting, it's good to keep it arched. If you play like a Badd11:

e|-0
B|-0
G|-6
D|-9
A|-9
E|-7

You need you finger arched so you don't mute the B and e strings. You should get used to using it both ways; arched and straight.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
^ bingo. What you want is flat enough to mute the strings, and arched enough to fret well.

You can train this by just focusing on your index as you play normally. Any time it lets noise out, just take it a bit slower and play the part again with the index muting properly. I found it took about 2 or 3 months to go from "no muting" to "good muting", and once you reach that stage it'll just keep getting better as long as you listen for open strings.
Thanks Junior, and Freepower. I should have included Junior in my earlier post also. You two gain absolutely nothing coming on these forums and answering question that probably seem ridiculous. I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your lives, to come here and share knowledge with those of us who truly want to learn. Some like myself only have the internet to learn the most they can, and some things really get lost in translation. Some things would be so much easier with someone who knows sitting in front of you. Yet somehow you guys are able to do it through words. Thanks again..
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Quote by cooper1965
Thanks Junior, and Freepower. I should have included Junior in my earlier post also. You two gain absolutely nothing coming on these forums and answering question that probably seem ridiculous. I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your lives, to come here and share knowledge with those of us who truly want to learn. Some like myself only have the internet to learn the most they can, and some things really get lost in translation. Some things would be so much easier with someone who knows sitting in front of you. Yet somehow you guys are able to do it through words. Thanks again..

You're welcome. That's why we're here.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.