Hey, (still a newbie).

I found my parent's old valve radio, dates back to the 1940s, possibly even 30s.

I've noticed that the controls on the radio look very similar to the original Danelectro (then Silvertone) guitar knobs. I looked into the back of the radio and saw the two fat tubes.

Can this be converted into a valve amp? I won't be able to do this, I'm too inexperienced, but I was wondering if it is a simple task and if not, is it worth a bit of cash?

Thanks
I've looked at doing this myself. From what I've seen, older radios would be easier as the AM receiver and amplifier are more or less separate. Newer ones seem to be integrated to save space, which I imagine would make things more tricky. You definitely want to be careful sticking your soldering iron into a tube amp though.
You found their old valve radio from the 40's, maybe the 30's? And you want to butcher it?

Depending on the condition and it's model/company of manufacture; It could be worth enough money to buy a tube amp or two.

Honestly what would make you want to do that? Just sell the thing to a collector. I doubt you have the ability or the knowledge to convert it to a tube amp.

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
You found their old valve radio from the 40's, maybe the 30's? And you want to butcher it?

Depending on the condition and it's model/company of manufacture; It could be worth enough money to buy a tube amp or two.

Honestly what would make you want to do that? Just sell the thing to a collector. I doubt you have the ability or the knowledge to convert it to a tube amp.

idd
Quote by Xter

Calm down sport

Not all vintage radio's are worth $$$. Do some research, this particular one may not have any current value to collectors.

Tube radios use much different tubes and topology than a guitar amp. This question comes up a lot (convert radio to guitar amp, google it) and the answer is yes it can be done. But it's not worth it as there isn't much you can get from the radio besides the chassis, maybe the PT and a few passive components.

So just keep the radio how it is.
I've done it, although not with one as classic as that. Mine's an old '60s alarm clock radio. It sounds neat, about as loud as an acoustic guitar, good for dorm jams. Lot's of people say it's impossible not worth it etc, I beg to differ. All I did was add an isolation transformer a three prong cord, some jacks and an on off switch. Not to hard at all for someone with a bit of experience. Unfortunately you can't get much gain from it without boosting it. Although if you run a boost pedal into it you can get some pretty cool crazy farty sounds.
I can't find a damn thing about this radio, but I'd definitely see if there is a collectors market for it before even touching it with a screwdriver. I can't find a single picture or schematic or anything. so maybe it is worth something.