I know there's no effective rule for this, but I use a combo with a 4x12 extension, but I don't like the sound of the sound when the combo is on top of the 4x12. I a live situation, is it okay to have them side by side or is it not "courteous"?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
hell no
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
i don't see why anyone would care
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by sonny bb
but I don't like the sound of the sound

Quote by durhamdynamo
I like my coffee like I like my women.

Covered in bees!
where the hell are you playing a gig? 17th century france?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thats the thing. I've never played a real gig before, so I don't entirely know how they go so I asked here.
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Haha, of course you can. It may look 'cooler' but as long as the speaker cable can reach from the combo to the cab, it'll work. Ignore the trolls, even though it is quite funny
Quote by Dave_Mc
where the hell are you playing a gig? 17th century france?

Haha this cracked me up
It doesn't matter one jot where you put your head/combo etc. As the poster above pointed out, normally you will only have one speaker mic-ed anyway at a gig so it's a moot point. I actually never put my head on top of my cab- I place it just off to the right of me at the side of the stage and run a long speaker lead up to the cab; sometimes I'll even have it just to the right of my mic stand. I prefer being able to twist a dial quickly if I need to, plus it subjects the tubes and solder joints to FAR less vibrations than if the head was placed atop a cab.

EDIT: See pic - my head is the white box on the floor to the left, and my cab is mic-ed up in the background.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423968_253807848032404_128576700555520_566037_2039082215_n.jpg
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Feb 29, 2012,
Quote by sonny bb
thats the thing. I've never played a real gig before, so I don't entirely know how they go so I asked here.

haha me neither

but i mean i'm guessing they're not going to care. unless the stage is tiny or something.

as has been said, just need to make sure your speaker lead will stretch.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Put the cab on top of the combo. 4x12 on top of 1x12 works best.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
wow guys, how about some real answers?

Quote by sonny bb
I know there's no effective rule for this, but I use a combo with a 4x12 extension, but I don't like the sound of the sound when the combo is on top of the 4x12. I a live situation, is it okay to have them side by side or is it not "courteous"?

the only thing 'un-courteous' about it is the amount of stage room you take up, which isn't a big deal if you aren't a huge band.

personally, i'd recommend placing the combo on one side of the stage and the 4x12 on the other side of the stage with the cabinet's projection path intersecting somewhere in the middle of the audience. this will make sure you sound balanced on stage and everyone in the audience can hear you. simple pic:

i am assuming you will be using stage volume at the venue and not miking everything, but that is just my 2 cents.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 29, 2012,
Quote by gumbilicious
wow guys, how about some real answers?

the only thing 'un-courteous' about it is the amount of stage room you take up, which isn't a big deal if you aren't a huge band.

personally, i'd recommend placing the combo on one side of the stage and the 4x12 on the other side of the stage with the cabinet's projection path intersecting somewhere in the middle of the audience. this will make sure you sound balanced on stage and everyone in the audience can hear you. simple pic:

i am assuming you will be using stage volume at the venue and not miking everything, but that is just my 2 cents.

we're a four piece, but I'm not the only guitarist and the bassists amp isn't super big and the drummer's kit isn't enourmous either, so I guess it'd work. but we won't be miking everything, but I just never liked the sound when it's on the top. thanks!
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by WtrPlyr
Put the cab on the combo.

TS: It really doesn't matter, but do listen to Gumbi.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--