I am quite new to guitar and am trying to learn some chords. I can do Am-F-C-G and I'm just practising that over and over again, my teacher gave me those chords for a song to strum along to. Chord changes are a bit slow and my strumming is a bit spazzy and I'm just wondering

Is the best way to practice for this just to play the chords by strumming each for a bit like in the song and then next chord. Or just each chord 1 strum, next one.

Is there any techniques to improve strumming up and down?
and if I'm picking at strings, should i be using my pinky on the guitar as a rest or "hovering" above the strings?
Not to confuse you, a common chord progression is a I IV V so you should strum a beat like one and two and three and four and. So the and you will be strumming up or towards you. Anyway in C is the key or first chord you play then C-D-E-F so F is the four chord and five would be G. So do the progression CFGC the last C is a turnaround to start over. Learn C7 and G7 then you can do blues too.
Good luck keep playing soon chords will be easy.
1. try starting with just downstrums on the beat, when its time to change chords keep the strumming going no matter what and adjust your fretting hand if needs be but keep going. You will get smoother with practice.

2. youre better off in the long run if you dont put your pinky down
Quote by Michaelob
I am quite new to guitar and am trying to learn some chords. I can do Am-F-C-G and I'm just practising that over and over again, my teacher gave me those chords for a song to strum along to. Chord changes are a bit slow and my strumming is a bit spazzy and I'm just wondering

Is the best way to practice for this just to play the chords by strumming each for a bit like in the song and then next chord. Or just each chord 1 strum, next one.

Is there any techniques to improve strumming up and down?

Did your teacher not give you any strumming patterns? Has he explained note values, and which strokes should be down and up, on beat and off beat respectively.

If he's at least half decent, then you should be provided with an explanation in the lesson, and sheets to work from till the following week.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 29, 2012,