has to be :

- Fairly versatile
- Can take low actions without buzzing
- ''Clear'' sounding pick ups, I hate muddy pick ups (low end Ibanez ones are a good example)

I can't strecth my budget any further than that (I had a car accident recently that pretty much killed my wallet ).

Any advice is welcome (except for B.C. Rich guitars. I'm 24, a bit too old for B.C. Rich )
checkout some used ltds man. anything from the 400 to 1000 series would suit you well. just search for used ltd on guitarcenter.com
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you want clear sounding pickups, get a low end ibanez around 200-300 bucks, and invest 200 bucks in some bareknuckle pickups. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of replacing pickups, I recommend a tele with humbuckers
Quote by romeozdistress
checkout some used ltds man. anything from the 400 to 1000 series would suit you well. just search for used ltd on guitarcenter.com

This

But if you're wanting new, probably some Agile or something just because they're so cheap
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Used gear man I got my prestige used for $500
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Take a look at Schecters Elite models, I got one and they are pretty awesome. Also try looking at Agiles, for $500 you can get a pretty sweet super strat or les paul and they have a explorer and prs style as well. Then there is the Fender Blacktop strats that come in HH or HSH
Take a look at Schecters Elite models, I got one and they are pretty awesome.

What he said.
Quote by FuseUnison
What he said.

Listen to this guy.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
a used deluxe (1000) series LTD. it will either have duncans (JB/ 59 set or Alnico 2 set) or EMG's, all of which are very clear. they're very well made guitars, and the market is almost always saturated with used ones, so a good deal is pretty easy to come by
Quote by Dhclark92
get an epiphone sg

+1
Epiphone G400 is good.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Torkk
Check out this one, I got this its amazing. 449.00 Coil tapping ftw

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Traditional-PRO.aspx

Not sure if trolling

Anyway, if you want good pickups, you'll have to go used in your budget. Anything in that price range new is going to have cheap stock stuff.

Answer these questions, and we'll be able to give you real suggestions instead of pissing in the wind

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dr Sixstring
+1
Epiphone G400 is good.

if you can find a used one and thrown in better pickups (and new tuners, stock epi ones are quite average at times), you can get a total beast for cheap
Wait a second guyz! I said 400-500 dollars just to give a reference point for you americans, but I forgot to mention that I live in Europe (so sadly Agiles are not an option for me), in euro they would be less than 400 euro...And I read things like LTD EC1000...here in Europe you can't buy used 1000 ltd with 400 euro, unless you're buying a stolen one from a heroin addict.

Anyway thank you for all the suggestions so far.
^ That's why we ask for location. Currency conversion means next to nothing. $500 USD is $462 AUD, but that doesn't mean you can buy anything good with that amount of money in Australia. The markets are completely different in different parts of the world.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by I K0nijn I
Epiphone Les Paul Studio with new pickups of choice.

That's interesting. Can the Epi LP Studio take low actions without problems ?

I've made a quick search on the Schecter Damien Elite FR someone suggested, it looks like an awesome guitar specs-wise and it's also pretty affordable (unfortunately I can't find used ones on the internet but I could get a new one with a case for 579 euro)...the problem is that I see it as a one trick pony guitar, I don't think it would be ''versatile'', right ?
Last edited by francesco18 at Feb 29, 2012,
My Les Paul Standard had a low action, so I guess the Studio can handle it as well.

And a guitar is as versatile as you make it, of course. You won't get a single coil sound out of a humbucker, or the other way around, but guitars aren't tied down to genres...
Quote by francesco18
That's interesting. Can the Epi LP Studio take low actions without problems ?

I've made a quick search on the Schecter Damien Elite FR someone suggested, it looks like an awesome guitar specs-wise and it's also pretty affordable (unfortunately I can't find used ones on the internet but I could get a new one with a case for 579 euro)...the problem is that I see it as a one trick pony guitar, I don't think it would be ''versatile'', right ?

No better or worse than any other guitar can play with low action. They're very versatile guitars, but they need new pickups, just as any guitar needs to at this price range.

as for the second question, it depends on how good your amp is. A lot of your tone and versatility depends on your amp.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 29, 2012,
My Schecter 006 Elite is pretty damn versatile. Has a HS pickup configuration, the neck pup I found is really good for bluesy stuff and the bridge pickup is awesome for balls to the wall metal. And it will do everything in between, what will determine your flexibility the most is your amp and your skill. Also I wouldnt suggest a guitar with a floyd if you will be changing tunings often.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
No better or worse than any other guitar can play with low action. They're very versatile guitars, but they need new pickups, just as any guitar needs to at this price range.

as for the second question, it depends on how good your amp is. A lot of your tone and versatility depends on your amp.

My amp is a Laney Cub 12r but the idea is to sell it and buy a used Bugera 333xl.
Anyway I'm intrigued by that Schecter Damien and by the Fender Blacktop Stratocaster (the one with rosewood fingerboard and floyd rose bridge); but...I have to find'em used because they're a little out of my budget.
Quote by francesco18
My amp is a Laney Cub 12r but the idea is to sell it and buy a used Bugera 333xl.
Anyway I'm intrigued by that Schecter Damien and by the Fender Blacktop Stratocaster (the one with rosewood fingerboard and floyd rose bridge); but...I have to find'em used because they're a little out of my budget.

I have a Bugera 6260. Whatever you do, do not get a Bugera cabinet. The speakers in them are horrible.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Broken Gibson Studio.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Ok I'm pretty much set on getting a used Fender Strato Blacktop but it comes in two versions = Floyd Rose or Vintage Tremolo bridge. BTW I've never played a guitar with a floyd rose bridge but I've read that it can be a hassle (what's so bad about it ? Is it really that challenging to change strings and tuning on a floyd rose bridge ?).
Quote by francesco18
Ok I'm pretty much set on getting a used Fender Strato Blacktop but it comes in two versions = Floyd Rose or Vintage Tremolo bridge. BTW I've never played a guitar with a floyd rose bridge but I've read that it can be a hassle (what's so bad about it ? Is it really that challenging to change strings and tuning on a floyd rose bridge ?).

It just means you have to tune it tons of times to start instead of once and adjusting it gets kind of annoying. Not challenging, just annoying.