5 3%
I think Patriotism/Pride in country is stupid no matter what country it is
66 37%
Other
8 4%
Voters: 178.
Page 1 of 5
Title aside, lets talk about Germany.

I had a teacher who went to Germany, and he was telling us about how there was no patriotism whatsoever, never once saw a german flag, etc. People had no pride or anything because of the holocaust and shit.

This I saw this comic, and I've heard CoreysMonster talk about it too.

So do you think it's time for Germans to move on and have a little harmless pride in their country? Or is it still distasteful due to WWII?

In that sense, America has no right to be proud as a nation, on the account of inhumanely murdering scores of Native Americans.

Apply the same logic to pretty much every civilization ever.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
It is one of his typical pictures: a German soldier, a gas chamber and a caption about Greek jobs being burnt. Comic art drawing on a growing anti-German feeling as Greeks hit out at a country seen as pushing the austerity drive and deepening the recession.

"Germany has already tried twice to make Europe German," he says. "This time it's through economic means. We have to resist that. We have no bad feelings towards the German people - only towards the government and European banks."

The rift between the two countries has grown steadily; there is increasing resentment among Germans that they are largely footing the bill for the ever-growing Greek bailouts. German media have written about Greeks as lazy and unproductive.

Last year, a front cover of the German magazine Focus carried a picture of the Venus de Milo statue swearing, wrapped in a torn Greek flag with the headline: "The frauds of the EU".

Tension reached boiling point in the days before Greece's recent bailout was approved. After Germany's Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble likened Greece to a "bottomless pit", the Greek President, Karolos Papoulias, said Mr Schauble was insulting his country.

During an anti-austerity protest this month, a German flag was burned outside parliament.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17177200

Really, Greece? Really...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Sometimes I say "Dass shit cray" in a German accent. Does that count?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I think patriotism and pride is a good thing and Germans are completely entitled to have it. Seriously, the vast, vast majority of modern day germans had fuck all to do with the holocaust anyway. Kinda like how almost no modern day Americans had anything to do with Hiroshima, etc.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by Kensai

Okay, what. the. fuck.

We help their asses out with HUGE sums of money, and this is what we get?

That's it, I'm petitioning to cut Greece off of Europe using a giant saw and sending it to the middle of the Pacific so they can't get on anyone's nerves anymore.
Quote by jetfuel495
Apparently Germans think Transformers are better than Gundams.

What a joke.

It's even more ironic when you consider that Germans are renowned for good engineering yet don't acknowledge the superior (and feasible) engineering of Gundams.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by element4433
Sometimes I say "Dass shit cray" in a German accent. Does that count?

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's even more ironic when you consider that Germans are renowned for good engineering yet don't acknowledge the superior (and feasible) engineering of Gundams.
I know, right?

I mean, a giant shapeshifting sentient robot alien? Come on, what is this, a fairy tale? Never gonna happen.

Gundams, though? Only a matter of time.
Quote by CoreysMonster

That's it, I'm petitioning to cut Greece off of Europe using a giant saw and sending it to the middle of the Pacific so they can't get on anyone's nerves anymore.

Someone's hiding a holocaust experiment.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i heard it was the Germans that invented pizza so i'll always be cool with them nazis

lol just kidding nazis are bad
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Quote by CoreysMonster
Okay, what. the. fuck.

We help their asses out with HUGE sums of money, and this is what we get?

They mad because the demands they have on them to pay back the money. The IMF wants them to prioritise paying back the loans over anything else (education, health care etc) pretty much. Sure you can agree paying back loans that essentially saves their asses entirely is reasonable, but the common Greece person feel like they're getting fucked from every direction; their goverment, the IMF, corrupt politicians everywhere. The nazi comparisons make them look like dumbasses, though
I'm extremely impressed by Germany. I don't understand how they manage to be such an incredible monster when it comes to economy and industry. Again and again.

And yes, they should be proud of themselves. They are basically the sole reason EU and Europe as a whole is still somewhat a stable continent. The north would do alright anyway, but the south. Wow. I can't say I envy being german. I'd be so damn pissed of at Greece and all these shit countries.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Someone's hiding a holocaust experiment.

No we're not.

>_>

<_<

Quote by Kensai
They mad because the demands they have on them to pay back the money. The IMF wants them to prioritise paying back the loans over anything else (education, health care etc) pretty much. Sure you can agree paying back loans that essentially saves their asses entirely is reasonable, but the common Greece person feel like they're getting fucked from every direction; their goverment, the IMF, corrupt politicians everywhere. The nazi comparisons make them look like dumbasses, though

Yeah, I can totally understand that the average Greek citizen must feel completely fucked by this whole situation, and I honestly feel bad for the citizens of the country. They weren't the one who ruined the economy or had to load the billions of Euros, and yet eventually they're the ones who are going to pay the price for it.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
brb paying for something your great-grandfathers did.

Such is the white man's burden.
Check out my band Disturbed
things you do not choose do not deserve pride or shame, they simply are.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
Well you can see some patriotism here (espacially when it comes to football), but I think it's not as much as in other states.

But, tbh, everyone I know (teenagers) that are patriotic, are also nazis (or wannabe nazis) and I hate them so much -.-
That's why I pretty much hate patriotism, too.
Geht in die Knie
und KLatscht in die Hände,
Beweg deine Hüften,
Und tanz den Adolf Hitler
tanz den Adolf Hitler
To actually answer the question, being the cause of the most horrible war to ever befall mankind is the kind of thing that takes a while to go away. People who were alive during WWII are still alive today, and for their sakes I believe that it is a good thing to show humility in German pride.

I personally don't agree with the German mentality of shame, but I can see how the alternative would possibly be the cause of insult to the poor people who actually experienced the horrors of Nazi Germany. Having them feel disrespected is a lot worse than a country having to tone down the nationalism a little, IMO.

But, I believe that within our lifetime Germany will be allowed to forget the shame and be a country like any other, with flag-waving and whatnot. But hopefully Germany will be a little wiser than some other countries who go over-the-top with nationalism.

America.
Quote by CoreysMonster
To actually answer the question, being the cause of the most horrible war to ever befall mankind is the kind of thing that takes a while to go away. People who were alive during WWII are still alive today, and for their sakes I believe that it is a good thing to show humility in German pride.

I personally don't agree with the German mentality of shame, but I can see how the alternative would possibly be the cause of insult to the poor people who actually experienced the horrors of Nazi Germany. Having them feel disrespected is a lot worse than a country having to tone down the nationalism a little, IMO.

But, I believe that within our lifetime Germany will be allowed to forget the shame and be a country like any other, with flag-waving and whatnot. But hopefully Germany will be a little wiser than some other countries who go over-the-top with nationalism.

America.

Well, without Germany. The jews would not have been given a country. So I'm sure they are cool with it now.
Quote by metaldud536
I like what Dylan Moran thinks about Germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PjyRwfedk

I was laughing up until the point he started complaining about German food.

Seriously, a Brit, complaining about German food?

No.

Just, no.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well, without Germany. The jews would not have been given a country. So I'm sure they are cool with it now.

I had an interesting discussion with Jewchords the other day about this exact topic, he said he agrees with German kids having the shameful history of the country hammered into them to prevent it from happening again, but I disagree with that. Kids shouldn't be made to feel guilty for shit their ancestors did, and they really drive that into kids heads over here.

Just as an example, I feel very uncomfortable when people make jew jokes. I'm not even German by birth and I feel uncomfortable as hell when people make jew jokes, to the point of wanting to leave a conversation.
I'm American by birth, and have no problem with black, mexican or indian jokes, because that fear of offending people who are/were wronged isn't hammered in from childhood in those cases.

Of course the holocaust was a lot worse than segregation because it was systematic genocide, but I think people should be allowed to leave the past of their forefathers behind them.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 28, 2012,
I was there during the last World Cup.

German flags everywhere
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Random88
I was there during the last World Cup.

German flags everywhere

Wasn't that basically the first time since WWII?
Quote by CoreysMonster

No.

Just, no.

As a Brit, thank you for German food, i mean seriously, ****ing godly stuff.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Wasn't that basically the first time since WWII?

I dunno, but it was awesome.

Especially when they beat England
FALKIRK

Quote by Minkaro

Check out my Tunes
Quote by CoreysMonster

No.

Just, no.
British food sucks. What else do they have besides fish and chips and beef wellington? (im assuming its good because its beef)
Quote by jetfuel495
British food sucks. What else do they have besides fish and chips and beef wellington? (im assuming its good because its beef)

Haggis>anything your country has ever made
FALKIRK

Quote by Minkaro

Check out my Tunes
What's a haggis and how do I kill it?
I had an interesting discussion with Jewchords the other day about this exact topic, he said he agrees with German kids having the shameful history of the country hammered into them to prevent it from happening again, but I disagree with that. Kids shouldn't be made to feel guilty for shit their ancestors did, and they really drive that into kids heads over here.

Just as an example, I feel very uncomfortable when people make jew jokes. I'm not even German by birth and I feel uncomfortable as hell when people make jew jokes, to the point of wanting to leave a conversation.
I'm American by birth, and have no problem with black, mexican or indian jokes, because that fear of offending people who are/were wronged isn't hammered in from childhood in those cases.

Of course the holocaust was a lot worse than segregation because it was systematic genocide, but I think people should be allowed to leave the past of their forefathers behind them.

While I mostly agree with this, I still subscribe to the idea that those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it and all that jazz. Call it cliche or not, I think humanity as a whole tends to make repeat mistakes if the memory of the last screwup is not fresh in our collective minds.

So pretty much, in my opinion ingraining into people the dangers of their forefathers' actions is a fairly decent start to preventing a repeat event. However, I also think if we're going to beat German students over the head with it (so to speak), we should beat students everywhere over the head with it because it's not like you're somehow more capable of committing genocide because of your nationality. The only problem I can foresee is that doing such a thing sets a dangerous precedent and could lead to a "brainwashing" of sorts. For example, people are taught to love their "glorious leader" (be it Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il, or Kim Jong Un) in North Korea. Do we want that kind of possibility here as well?
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Quote by Random88
Haggis>anything your country has ever made

Sure, if you're talking about emetics.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 5