So I have no idea at all where it came from... but I need a EB-0.

I wouldn't be so eager, but I just finally after weeks of searching found out, la bella makes 5 string short scale flats!

My first reaction is find the cheapest epi I can (in black) and add a aftermarket pickup. But I am curious does anyone sell EB-0 copies? I see old Japanese copies occasionally ($$$) but haven't found anything new. I like the idea of finding a under $100 epi on C-list, but if some brand makes a copy like rondo (they don't) I'd check it out.
Try farting

(I have no useful answer)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I don't think I've seen any EB/SG copies besides old Japanese ones. Just find a cheap Epi, refinish if you want, add a Dimarzio Model One?

Is this supposed to turn into a general GAS thread?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I don't think I've seen any EB/SG copies besides old Japanese ones. Just find a cheap Epi, refinish if you want, add a Dimarzio Model One?

Is this supposed to turn into a general GAS thread?

It could if you wanted, I just was excited I finally found flats in Short scale with a Low B. Then Couldn't for the life of me find a modern EB/SG copy, seemed impossible but maybe it is.

Don't plan on refinishing it, or adding the model one. The issue most have with the epi version is the fact it's cheating and they were not aware. A real mudbucker is supposed to be a 25-30 k ohm output beast, Epi's "sidewinder" is around 2-4k ohms, they then use a clever cap and tone circuit to cut some highs and make you think it's a mudbucker.

Really a Mudbucker is super hot and spews lots of low mid punch only to be enhanced with flatwounds. As guitarists will know, lower the output of the pickup the more highs and brittle it is as well as less drive. I assume Epiphone is maybe trying to save on cost of copper, essentially put the bare minimum windings in that huge pickup then wired a low pass filter to cut the highs, so your left with a quiet yet distinct (and disappointing) fart.

Darkstar is out of business, but they actually produced a single coil pickup that happened to fit the mudbucker rout. The model one is plastic and that bugs me. Gotoh and a few other brands however sell real deal traditional style 30k mudbuckers for around $30, so with a $50 pack of SS 5 string flats and a hopefully under $100 bass and a some new wiring you'd have a short scale bass capable of some of the thickest meatiest tones. Add a Sansamp or real tube amp and fuzz only to make it better.
LOL, stop GASing, man! It's going to kill you... you have a new VM Jazz, trying to get a better amp/cab... Isn't it too much to add another shortscale??

still, I hope you can get what you want, but it still surprises me that you're after your next buy only a week or so after the last one...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
The EB-0... a bass that all bassists decide they must have at some point in the course of their career as a bassist.

The EB-0... the most one trick pony bass ever put out by any company ever.

If you want an SG shaped bass, but want something with more than just the "whump" tone, get an EB-3. It's a full scale bass with a mini HB bridge pickup that allows you to do far more tones than the EB-0. Doesn't give you the classic Fender P or J tones, but does let you escape the "whump" of the EB-0.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
^ While I would agree if it were for myself, you're missing the point entirely

He wants a short scale and he knows exactly what he's in for with the EB-0.
It's a one trick pony and is awful for most applications, it just so happens that he has an application where it will work perfectly.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Sudaka
LOL, stop GASing, man! It's going to kill you... you have a new VM Jazz, trying to get a better amp/cab... Isn't it too much to add another shortscale??

still, I hope you can get what you want, but it still surprises me that you're after your next buy only a week or so after the last one...

Well, the Jazz bass only got played literally maybe 3 minutes I had to leave it and go back up to university.

I got it as a trade, and I like the idea of having another long scale fender, but I am still unsure...

Quote by gilly_90
^ While I would agree if it were for myself, you're missing the point entirely

He wants a short scale and he knows exactly what he's in for with the EB-0.
It's a one trick pony and is awful for most applications, it just so happens that he has an application where it will work perfectly.

Exactly, to go along with what I was saying to you Sudaka, I have a bronco wired in such a way it cuts through very easily and gives many tones, from bright to vintage thump.

The reason I was excited for the Jazz (and I still am) is because It could enable me to have a bead tuned bass, for personal use and because I might be playing with some people soon, and using C Standard and other low tunings so I figured tune bead, and a capo and I'd be set.

The short scale 5er flats are the same cost as long scale (expensive) but means I can choose, instead of settle on the scale I want for said bass. I will be keeping the jazz bass and playing with it and see ultimately what I'd do. Also I need to buy a new amp first

I probably will wind up with a EB-0, but in due time, I think the cabin fever of dorm life with exams is just eating at me.

Also just got a set of D-addario 13-56 chromes for my strat, with a GFS loudmouth 14k humbucker, it's at home, but in about ten day's I'll have it setup for BEADGB, might run my octave pedal through it and see how that goes, mini baritone/bass-esque fun
Quote by askrere
Well, the Jazz bass only got played literally maybe 3 minutes I had to leave it and go back up to university.

I got it as a trade, and I like the idea of having another long scale fender, but I am still unsure...

Exactly, to go along with what I was saying to you Sudaka, I have a bronco wired in such a way it cuts through very easily and gives many tones, from bright to vintage thump.

The reason I was excited for the Jazz (and I still am) is because It could enable me to have a bead tuned bass, for personal use and because I might be playing with some people soon, and using C Standard and other low tunings so I figured tune bead, and a capo and I'd be set.

The short scale 5er flats are the same cost as long scale (expensive) but means I can choose, instead of settle on the scale I want for said bass. I will be keeping the jazz bass and playing with it and see ultimately what I'd do. Also I need to buy a new amp first

I probably will wind up with a EB-0, but in due time, I think the cabin fever of dorm life with exams is just eating at me.

Also just got a set of D-addario 13-56 chromes for my strat, with a GFS loudmouth 14k humbucker, it's at home, but in about ten day's I'll have it setup for BEADGB, might run my octave pedal through it and see how that goes, mini baritone/bass-esque fun

LOL... I still enjoy reading all your projects. It makes me wonder if someday I'll get to know what 35k are, and how could I use this knowledge to my favour. however, I'm still a rookie, but when i start modding my basses, be sure I'll be busting your balls with nooby questions, and you'll get the hate when i solder two of my fingers together
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Feb 29, 2012,
Quote by askrere
I think the cabin fever of dorm life with exams is just eating at me.

Sounds like you need to get out a little and do what bassists do best.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I've had GAS for some mudbucker goodness in the past; two things turned me off about the epi EB-0: Neck dive from the SG shape and horror stories about that epi- 3 point bridge.

The bridge problem isn't really likely to happen (I'm just a worry wart) so that's probably a moot point, but man that shape made it really hard for me to love. I have an SX mustang with less extreme neck drive and it still never gets played because of it, despite the neck feeling super sexy, the bass looking great, and the pups sounding decent enough. I just knew that if I had to fight holding the bass up I'd never actually use it and have directed my gas toward a squier VM tele-bass. First time I find one of those fellas for dirt cheap I'm going to snag one up. The stock pup even has wires to add a coil tap if you want a little reprieve from all mudbucker all the time.

edit* of course that doesn't solve the short-scale end of your problem--maybe you'll just need the widest strap of all time to go along with the EB-0.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 29, 2012,
Quote by Tostitos
Sounds like you need to get out a little and do what bassists do best.

Well to sound like a burgeoning alcoholic, I have two (well 1 1/20) bottles of rum in my room with a couple liters of RC cherry cola, for those times where you need a drink but don't feel like walking. Also I've been playing Skyrim, and I feel I need to take a potion every few minutes as well as my character

Quote by dullsilver_mike
I've had GAS for some mudbucker goodness in the past; two things turned me off about the epi EB-0: Neck dive from the SG shape and horror stories about that epi- 3 point bridge.

The bridge problem isn't really likely to happen (I'm just a worry wart) so that's probably a moot point, but man that shape made it really hard for me to love. I have an SX mustang with less extreme neck drive and it still never gets played because of it, despite the neck feeling super sexy, the bass looking great, and the pups sounding decent enough. I just knew that if I had to fight holding the bass up I'd never actually use it and have directed my gas toward a squier VM tele-bass. First time I find one of those fellas for dirt cheap I'm going to snag one up. The stock pup even has wires to add a coil tap if you want a little reprieve from all mudbucker all the time.

edit* of course that doesn't solve the short-scale end of your problem--maybe you'll just need the widest strap of all time to go along with the EB-0.

Well when I bought my tele, it had the standard mim 6 saddle bridge. After a bit I read the key to tele tone was a 3 saddle brass. So I got one, then read all about the issues and horrible intonation they had. Same with the Bronco I recently bought.

I think certain musicians just go out of their mind when faced with simple. Given a 2 saddle bent steel plate bridge, they panic and find the thickest bridge with as many adjustments as possible, or an amp with as many EQ options as possible.

I like simple so it doesn't scare me, of course I've never had experience with Low B tuning, but they do offer aftermarket bridges that should be some better.

As for neck dive, the EB-3 long scale is the major culprit I've read so far, the short scale, with a good strap and strap button location makes it a breeze. I guess if it wasn't you could put little sticky squares of the bristly velcro on your strap and wear a wooly sweater.
I almost jumped on an amazing MiJ bass last year... it was an Aria short scale... but it copied an EB-3... which gave it a bit more utility than an EB-0. I've seen a few, but they vary wildly in price... from $150-$600. Still though, it played great!

Keep an eye out on Ebay... lots of rad MiJ stuff pops up on there.

I feel ya with the GAS...

Now that i have the new P, i'm now GASing for a Spector NS-2.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by askrere

Well when I bought my tele, it had the standard mim 6 saddle bridge. After a bit I read the key to tele tone was a 3 saddle brass. So I got one, then read all about the issues and horrible intonation they had. Same with the Bronco I recently bought.

I meant the three screws that hold it to the body--people complain about the bridges on epi EB and TB basses breaking, and pulling up from the wood because of the way it's mounted and the pressure distribution. Like I said, not a common problem just something that does occasionally happen. The bridge itself and saddles always seemed pretty hardy to me. Anywho, they're still pretty darn tempting when you can find one used for next to nothing.
Quote by Din of Win
I almost jumped on an amazing MiJ bass last year... it was an Aria short scale... but it copied an EB-3... which gave it a bit more utility than an EB-0. I've seen a few, but they vary wildly in price... from $150-$600. Still though, it played great!

Keep an eye out on Ebay... lots of rad MiJ stuff pops up on there.

I feel ya with the GAS...

Now that i have the new P, i'm now GASing for a Spector NS-2.

Isn't the first sentence of your thread you saying you don't need anything else lol?

Not that I'm any better, but I didn't say I had all I needed yet...

I wouldn't say no to a EB-3, was just the Epi version is long scale, and the gibby is expensive.

My friend bought a fender jazzmaster off Ebay from the actual japanese fender importer, but I am kind of wary of buying a used, especially older bass/guitar. The possibility of getting ripped off, but also shipping damage from bad packing/handling.
Quote by askrere
Isn't the first sentence of your thread you saying you don't need anything else lol?

Yeah... it's a sickness!

Haha
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Well I'm going to put a feeler out on craigslist, but I won't buy anything over $100 preferably someones given up and I can get one for $50-$75... my favorite way to get a cheap gear, or wives cleaning house.

If it can be done for under $200 a black EB-0 tuned to bead with all that big chrome just sounds way cool. Even if it is a one trick pony... does that make a Thunderbird a one trick Clydesdale?

You never should have said you had a music master in that tuning din... Which btw I saw a black vista music master for $175, and a pink for $200. Almost traded for it buy he sold it, it would have been evil of me, but I would have offered to sell it to you.
Quote by askrere
Well I'm going to put a feeler out on craigslist, but I won't buy anything over $100 preferably someones given up and I can get one for $50-$75... my favorite way to get a cheap gear, or wives cleaning house.

If it can be done for under $200 a black EB-0 tuned to bead with all that big chrome just sounds way cool. Even if it is a one trick pony... does that make a Thunderbird a one trick Clydesdale?

You never should have said you had a music master in that tuning din... Which btw I saw a black vista music master for $175, and a pink for $200. Almost traded for it buy he sold it, it would have been evil of me, but I would have offered to sell it to you.

Dude... while i was waiting for the shop i bought my new P from to search for a gig-bag... i saw that they had a White/White/Rosewood Vista Musicmaster....

Unfortunately (for me) they KNOW how amazing they are, and had it tagged at $320.

You should snag a used Epi EB-0 in that range. With the slew of replacement pickups out there, you SHOULD honestly be able to get more use out of it than you think.
Quote by askrere
Even if it is a one trick pony... does that make a Thunderbird a one trick Clydesdale?

Depends on the T bird. If its the basic Epi I'd say its more like a one-trick wet fart. I wouldn't mind a Lull T Bird or a vintage non-reverse Gibby though...

...or a pink Vista Musicmaster either for that matter.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I just picked up a EB-0 yesterday, I got hit by the short scale bug hard. Love them things, honestly just a few weeks ago I had 3 34" scale bass's on my wall and now I have 1 and including my son's 4 short scales. I enjoy them and they fit my band perfectly.

The EB0 does seem to be limited big time however I think with my set up it will be perfect for our more punk tunes.
Current Gear
Ibanez AGB200
Epiphone ET-280(with Dean Hillsboro Single guts and pup)
Epiphone EB-0

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien Krueger 410 MBE
MXR Fuzz Deluxe
MXR Analog Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby 105Q
Boss TU-2
Quote by Din of Win
Dude... while i was waiting for the shop i bought my new P from to search for a gig-bag... i saw that they had a White/White/Rosewood Vista Musicmaster....

Unfortunately (for me) they KNOW how amazing they are, and had it tagged at $320.

You should snag a used Epi EB-0 in that range. With the slew of replacement pickups out there, you SHOULD honestly be able to get more use out of it than you think.

Do the vista MM's have strat pickups? One I saw in a Pawn Shop and on C-list with an up close pic had 4 pole aero/single coil P looking pickups.

I almost bought a T-bird as my first bass, I didn't know anything, and the whole design, with that stick figure bird caught my eye, went with the ol' standard mim P though.

I got to wonder what makes it muddy, I think a pair of blade buckers and a wiring job would make it quite nice.
Wow, just got to say, I've been on hold and on the phone with GC for the last hour. I ordered two packs of strings, and one came directly from a store and they charged me and never sent them, emailed me saying they were sorry but they were out of stock and discontinued. So today I get charged again and I call and they can't tell me what I was charged for, so I thought someone stole my CC#, but no they just found the strings and charged me and didn't tell me or ask. So I accused them of stealing and for $25 and a 10% coupon.

If they didn't keep missing up my orders, and comping me, I'd never shop there...
Quote by askrere
Do the vista MM's have strat pickups? One I saw in a Pawn Shop and on C-list with an up close pic had 4 pole aero/single coil P looking pickups.

I almost bought a T-bird as my first bass, I didn't know anything, and the whole design, with that stick figure bird caught my eye, went with the ol' standard mim P though.

I got to wonder what makes it muddy, I think a pair of blade buckers and a wiring job would make it quite nice.

IIRC Vista Musicmasters have their own 4-pole pickup. Original Musicmasters were cobbled together from spare parts (like a few other Fender models), but the Squier Vista ones were made to be a Musicmaster from the get-go, hence they have their own pickups instead of using spares that they had extras of.

Are you wondering about the T bird being muddy? Or the EB?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
IIRC Vista Musicmasters have their own 4-pole pickup. Original Musicmasters were cobbled together from spare parts (like a few other Fender models), but the Squier Vista ones were made to be a Musicmaster from the get-go, hence they have their own pickups instead of using spares that they had extras of.

Are you wondering about the T bird being muddy? Or the EB?

Was just talking about the T bird, I don't want one though.
Quote by Tostitos

Correct!

The Vista MM had a 4-pol Musicmaster specific pickup... which sounds fantastic! It ISSSSS, however, Strat sized. So, it has the same pickup-swapability that a MM or Bronco would, all with a better base platform (IMHO) than either of the two.

The one i saw (For $320) had a dual-rail pickup badly thrown in it. It LOOKED nice, at least.

Ugh... i gotta stop with the CL... A guy has a minty early 80's short scale Fender Bullet... for $600... sooooo temptedddddd

@askrere: There's a local CL Epi EB-0 for $100, and a SWEET Greco EB copy (kind-of a EB-2 semi-hollow w/EB-3 pickup placement) for only $250.
Quote by Din of Win

@askrere: There's a local CL Epi EB-0 for $100, and a SWEET Greco EB copy (kind-of a EB-2 semi-hollow w/EB-3 pickup placement) for only $250.

My local or your local?
My local... Washington DC
Quote by Din of Win
My local... Washington DC

Way to disappoint

Speaking of local craigslist, Being from Austin, everything on my local craigslist is anywhere from 5 min-30 min away.

Living in Denton (near Dallas) the local craigslist encompasses like a million cities and towns, I've found several great deals only to google the towns location and find out it's halfway back home or 75 miles away. To break out the bad nerd lingo, the DFW area is like Coruscant, call it a bunch of towns, but it's really just one big city planet you can't escape for at least an hour in any direction.

found Mexican P bass for $100, might go get that though even if it's half way to Oklahoma
Haha, sometimes i'll extend my CL searches out to neighboring states. For me, they're still relatively close.

It ALWAYS seems to turn out that i'll find a sweet deal... 2-3 hours away. It sucks when you've got to factor in gas prices to gear buying!

Dude, $100 for a Mexi P is sweet.