Hey,
I am looking for a new good 100w amp. I have been stuck with the annoying little 15w line 6 starter amp and need to upgrade for my band.
I generally play hard rock, metal, and classic rock.
I have no experience buying good amps so I am open to all opinions and propositions.
I don't really have a price limit but am looking for something around $600.
Thanks for the help.
Used 5150/6505.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Obama FTW
Used 5150/6505.

Was my first thought, but we all know that line is hopeless at anything low-gain.
Tube or solid-state?
And are you ever going to practice? You can't really with a 100 watt unless you want the cops banging down your door. Honestly 30 watts should be good enough, unless you are playing arenas without a PA.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
if you're going for the 6505 or 5150, i recommend you go for the 6505+/5150 II simply because the gain is a lot tighter and controllable. i traded my 6505 for a jcm2000 tsl100 because the jcm2000 just has a much better tone in my opinion, but i don't think if i got put up on the offer i wouldn't trade it for a 6505+. i just love the 6505+ tone.

really however any of these amps are amazing until you get into the studio setting where i don't recommend a regular 6505 at all. 6505 + is great in studio, and the jcm2000 is great BUT you need an equalizer to raise the mids because the jcm2000 is lacking in the mids.

just my two cents.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Tube or solid-state?
And are you ever going to practice? You can't really with a 100 watt unless you want the cops banging down your door. Honestly 30 watts should be good enough, unless you are playing arenas without a PA.

I've got a couple 100 watt amps and all of mine came with volume knobs...

Peavey Valve King is a good versatile 100 watt all tube amp.

Peavey Windsor is good for the genre's you mentioned, and contrary to popular belief, they clean up pretty good.. Not Fender Twin good, but decent for rock and blues

Then there's the Fender Twin.. Pure butteryTube Power with great reverb and takes pedals very well although all in front of the amp as there isn't an effects loop.

Then there is also the forementioned Marshalls

Lots of choices for 100 watt amps
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Most_Triumphant
And are you ever going to practice? You can't really with a 100 watt unless you want the cops banging down your door.
Yeah, you can. I do. No cops at my door. Ever. It's called volume knob, it works.

TS: Are you looking for just a head, or do you need a cab as well?

I'd suggest a Jet City JCA100h, but you won't get anywhere without a cabinet. Raise your budget $300 and that will be able to score you a Marshall 1960a to go with it.
I would like to call myself an intermediate guitarist. (I write most of the rhythm and lead parts)
I do, however, own a beginner amp that gets easily drowned out by the drummer, rhythm g, and bassist. All I know is that 15 watts gets easily drowned out 100 watts
I am open to SS, Hybrid (if its actually worth), and tube amps. The amp that I will buy, will be my main amp for the next few years. So I do not want to skimp out or get stuck with poor quality.
The amp does not have to be exactly 100 watts, I would like an amp thta could compete with the other amps and drums.
I am looking for a combo amp or maybe an entire halfstack (head + cabinet)
Where are you located, and what kind of music do you play specifically? Examples of bands?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, where are you? That changes what to recommend substantially.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yea I live in NYC and i play Iron Maidern, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, AC/DC, Lamb of God, FFDP, G n' R, Volbeat, Sunrise Avenue, Rise Against, Kopek, Stone Sour, Disturbed, Papa Roach, The Police, Hinder, Buckcherry, Asking Alexandria, and As I lay Dying
Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey Vypyr Tube or JSX.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Heres some craigslist posts near you for around your price range.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/2839521362.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/2871576800.html

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/2855943703.html Cheap windsor, you could get some other stuff with the leftover money.

Just some ideas for ya.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Ouch, $700 for a used XXX 1x12 combo??
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Kikuta
Was my first thought, but we all know that line is hopeless at anything low-gain.

I wouldn't say HOPELESS, just people usually like a brighter voicing for low-mid gain.

If by low gain you mean cleans, then yes, hopeless.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I wouldn't say HOPELESS, just people usually like a brighter voicing for low-mid gain.

If by low gain you mean cleans, then yes, hopeless.

Lol, I got decent cleans out of my 5150. Mid gain tones can be had... rolling back the volume etc..

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X