Hey guys. It's been probably a year or so since I've posted here. Since then, my GAS has pretty much subsided and I really haven't wanted anything new (save for a DigiTech JamMan solo that I bought on a whim a few months ago) but now that I've started recording and the idea of performing live is becoming more and more of a possibility, I may be needing a new amp soon. Well, it's probably more of a want than a need. Oh, and the most I would be playing with is a drummer and maybe another guitarist. Maybe.

Anyway, some of the songs I'm writing require a lot of looping and multiple layers. So headroom is fairly necessary. I've been using a Fender Hot Rod Deville for some school related events because the band director has two of them. It's great, but in all honesty, I think it may be too loud for what I need. Some of you guys here think that 40 watts tube isn't much, but that thing can fill a crowded auditorium without going past 2. I guess that can be a starting point.

So what I was looking at was maybe a Jet City JCA2112rc. I know it's mostly used as a rock/dirty blues type of thing, but does it still hold it's own at a clean setting, tone-wise? I'm pretty sure a music store near me keeps them in stock, so I'll probably head down there soon.

But would something like a Bugera V22 or maybe that new Fender Excelsior (probably underpowered) work? AC15? Blues Junior?

Sorry for the wall of text. I get carried away with my verbosity some(most)times.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Feb 28, 2012,
Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
That was easy enough, I suppose. You say you want headroom, but a 40w tube amp is too loud? You have contradicting interests...More headroom means you need more wattage. Also, More watts doesn't really make much of a volume difference. It's basically all about headroom. The difference between, say, 50w and 100w is very little when it comes to volume. However, a 50w amp will get power tube distortion at a much lower volume than a 100w amp. Granted, it will still need to be quite loud, but not nearly as loud as a 100w amp. It's honestly more dependent on your speakers, ie how many you are using and how loud they are rated. I've done full gigs with a Blues Junior run into a 2x12 and had no problems being heard. In fact, I was using a Hardwire TL-2 through it and playing Metal, funnily enough, and this was in a full band with a drummer, vocalist, bassist, and second guitarist. However, there was definitely Power Tube saturation, and no chance of clean tones.

If you want headroom, you need an amp with higher wattage. That doesn't mean it will be that much louder, it means you can keep your cleans at higher volume.

For example, I have a 120w head. I play it in my apartment with no complaints, and my girlfriend can be sleeping 10 feet away. Amps have volume knobs for a reason. If you WOULD want power tube saturation, you could always get an attenuator. You'll need one no matter what if you want tube saturation at whisper volumes, as even a 5w amp will need to be super loud to get saturation.
+1 to all of that ^

What's wrong with your amp tonally though? If you want to stay clean, more wattage is always better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+1 to all of that ^

What's wrong with your amp tonally though? If you want to stay clean, more wattage is always better.

I don't think it's HIS amp. It sounds like he's just using one that's available to him and he would like to invest in his own
Well, there's always the Hot Rod Deluxe but they aren't really that much quieter (40 vs 60), they just have a different tone. I have used a 60W 6L6 amp for many years and it has served me well. What it comes down to is how loud your drummer is and I've played with drummers that have played from everything from a light jazz touch to King Kong with trains for sticks.
It doesn't matter how much power you have unless you are trying to get power tube breakup. You can run 6V6's in the hotrods to get more power tube breakup at lower volumes. I suspect that the Deluxe is the amp you'd want or maybe even a Blues Junior. Try both of them, personally I'd go for a BJ for what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well, there's always the Hot Rod Deluxe but they aren't really that much quieter (40 vs 60), they just have a different tone. I have used a 60W 6L6 amp for many years and it has served me well. What it comes down to is how loud your drummer is and I've played with drummers that have played from everything from a light jazz touch to King Kong with trains for sticks.
It doesn't matter how much power you have unless you are trying to get power tube breakup. You can run 6V6's in the hotrods to get more power tube breakup at lower volumes. I suspect that the Deluxe is the amp you'd want or maybe even a Blues Junior. Try both of them, personally I'd go for a BJ for what you want.

I mean, wouldn't everyone want a BJ?

Sorry, I had to. I'll probably head out to some music stores this weekend to try stuff out.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees