So, I was looking for some 2x12 cabs on my Craigslist, since the 1x12 I use for recording just isn't cutting it, and I need a wider tone. I came across these: http://roanoke.craigslist.org/ele/2868932703.html

They aren't guitar cabs, but it appears that with the slightest modifications they can be made into decent closed back 2x12's. I mean, one hole is already cut on each box, and it won't be hard in the slightest to cut another hole.

What speakers would go good in them, V30's? Maybe V30's in one, a mix in the other?

I mean, sure it would probably be more worth it to buy a used 2x12, but where's the fun in that? Plus, it would be cool to own walnut guitar cabs, because it would create a different kind of sound, and would look classy.

Thoughts?
I'd say go for it..

post pictures when it's done..

I've been entertaining the thought of making a "Boutique" cab and amp head case...

Walnut is on the list of woods I'd like to use...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Guy must be a nut case to sell it.

Looks nice though, why not?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I was born near Roanoke

Quote by Eppicurt
Guy must be a nut

Sure would be interesting bro, do it.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
It says walnut veneer. They aren't solid. You need to find out what he means by veneer. If they are cabinetry grade plywood then they may be decent. Birch ply will sound better than poplar. The veneer in this case would be for looks only. It wouldn't sound any different than any other cab made from birch or or poplar ply. Veneer could also refer to a walnut paper or faux on MDF. I'd avoid MDF myself just due to durability. I'd check with the seller before making any offers to find out exactly what the construction is.

I'm still stuck in VA myself.
^After some research, I've found that it's made of 12-ply, which is apparently "really rare". People seem to like the sound of the speakers, but if you look in the ad this guy's woofers are in pretty poor condition. Not really worth using as a stereo speaker anymore.

How would 12-ply sound for a guitar cabinet? If I were to throw V30's in one, what would be a good choice for the other one?

I'm still stuck in VA myself.
So you say your from Staunton. You must be familiar with Embers from the Altar, no?
The only thing that really matters for sound projection from a cab is what speakers your using and whether it is closed or open back. At the volumes most cabs are played at the wood they are made from has very little bearing on what a person hears from 25 feet away. I say grab them and mod them. Put a coat of wax on the walnut veneer. Your buddies will druel at how cool they look and sound.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by sparkeyjames
The only thing that really matters for sound projection from a cab is what speakers your using and whether it is closed or open back. At the volumes most cabs are played at the wood they are made from has very little bearing on what a person hears from 25 feet away. I say grab them and mod them. Put a coat of wax on the walnut veneer. Your buddies will druel at how cool they look and sound.
Only thing is I won't be using them for gigging, just recording. I have a 4x12 for gigging and multi-purpose usage. I want a cabinet that sounds as good as possible but stows away when not in use. My 1x12 does that but sound very weak in a mix.

But of course, if the wood truly is good I might just get them. They are indeed closed back, so they should be optimal for metal tones, especially with V30's.
man, i have never experimented with a hardwood cabinet before.

closed back softwood cabs tend to 'flex' under higher SPL's and create this pretty cool sounding craziness. i dunno is hardwood does the same thing.

in contemporary times we use voidless ply wood (like MDF in car audio or marine grade baltic birch ply in the guitar world) because of their resonance properties (more like lack of resonance). voidless plies tend to resonate/shake less which makes them a bit 'cleaner' sounding. i am unsure if hardwood has similar properties.

i'd say this would be a very cool cab to do some experimentation. if you like more modern tones then i'd recommend V30's (i prefer G12K-100's or a mix of a V30 and G12K-100). if you like more classic tones then check out one of the MANY G12 or G12M clones by scumback or weber, you won't be disappointed.

edit: if you are looking for a 'wider' tone, then i'd definitely recommend mixing 2 different speakers. i personally run set of webers: 100 watt blue dog with alnico magnet and a 100 watt silver bell with a ceramic magnet.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 29, 2012,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

So you say your from Staunton. You must be familiar with Embers from the Altar, no?

I've heard of them but never followed them closely. I work too much to get a chance to go out and see shows.

I personally shy away from Celestion now. Not because they are bad speakers, just because they are overpriced for what you get. Most standard Celestions are made in a Chinese plant now and still cost a good bit more than a good set of US made Eminence or WGS speakers. I'm fond of the Retro and Veteran 30s from WGS as well as their Green Beret.