Poll: My parents..
Poll Options
View poll results: My parents..
Aren't seperated and I am religious.
20 21%
Aren't seperated and I am not religious.
49 51%
Seperated when I was young and I am religious.
1 1%
Seperated when I was young and I am not religious.
15 16%
Seperated when I was older and I am religious.
2 2%
Seperated when I was older and I am not religious.
9 9%
Voters: 96.
More specifically your parent's marriage, and your religion.

I've noticed a fair amount of the people I talk to who are atheists have parents who are divorced, and the religious people I talk to tend to have parents who are still married. Just curious how the numbers look for the pit, if there will be any kind of pattern.

For poll clarity: By parents I am talking about the relationship between your biological parents. If your parents were never married but are still together pick Aren't seperated, if they aren't together pick Seperated. Seperation includes things like divorce, one parent never being there during your childhood, or a seperation but not a divorce (parents live apart but are not technically divorced). Not religious includes atheists, agnostics and those who just don't bother with religion and don't want to talk about it. Young/older is up to you, if you were old enough to understand what was going on at the time they got a divorce then pick older.

So tl;dr- Do you think that early childhood events (such as parents getting divorced) have an effect on your beliefs today?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
No, I think that parents who stay married are more likely to stick it out because their religion frowns upon divorce and they are more likely to both stay married and indoctrinate their children with religion than parents who are less concerned with imaginary men in the sky.
Aren't separated, aren't married, aren't religious and have been together for the last 40 years. **** the concept that you need marriage.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
More interesting question - how many people's parents have a terrible relationship and probably should be separated, and are only still together because of religion?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
I was 20 when my folks split. By then I'd well and truly formulated my views on organised religion, which I won't go into here for the sake of relevance.

I don't know if the parents being married or not has quite as much influence as the actual beleifs of the parents. But it's all going to be cultural. In Australia where I live, we're constitutionally secular, and fervently religious people are an absolute minority with ever declining numbers. Things will obviously be different in other countries and even other parts of other countries.
Quote by RU Experienced?
No, I think that parents who stay married are more likely to stick it out because their religion frowns upon divorce and they are more likely to both stay married and indoctrinate their children with religion than parents who are less concerned with imaginary men in the sky.

Atheists have lower divorce rates.
My parents are happily married.

Feels good man

Ate dinner with mom, dad, and sister today. Nuclear families ftw
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by captaincrunk
Atheists have lower divorce rates.

How dare you spew nonsense and lies to defend those blasphemers suckling at Satan's teat. You and your kind make me physically ill.
Divorced when I was young, now I'm an atheist. I would attribute it to my intellect rather than circumstances though. I never once used the argument of "my life sucks too much, there can't be a god".
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by CrunchyRoll

Feels good man

this.

Living the good life.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
My post makes it seem like I am fishing for causation, I am really not. Just curious about the numbers.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Why should religion have anything to do with whether people stayed married or not?
Just shut the fück up with all this religion shit already. Why is the pit so obsessed with other peoples religion? If your atheist, just shut up and be atheist.

To contribute to thread: my parents split when i was 6, mom remarried 7 years ago. Now, me, mom, step-dad and sister live happily ever after, together. How would their divorce, affect my faith?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by son_of_bodom
Just shut the fück up with all this religion shit already. Why is the pit so obsessed with other peoples religion? If your atheist, just shut up and be atheist.

Because the question of where, how and if religion fits into today's modern society is one of the most important debates of the century, maybe?
I'm an atheist, my parents aren't divorced but are separated but are together at the moment (I know, it doesn't make sense)
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
My parents aren't seperated at all. It's also a sin to divorce in my religion unless it's on the grounds of fornication or adultery. Divorce and re-marriage is only acceptable and isn't considered a sin only if one has commited adultery and the other mate cannot bring his or herself to forgive the guilty mate.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by CrunchyRoll

Feels good man

Me too
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Todd Hart
Because the question of where, how and if religion fits into today's modern society is one of the most important debates of the century, maybe?

People aren't going to sporadically drop their religion if a conclusion to the above answers comes up. Religion plays/has played a role in society for centuries, why is this so groundbreaking all of a sudden?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by son_of_bodom

You seem angry, is everything ok?

I'm interested in the religion of others because sociology in general interests me. I don't really see how anything in this thread would inflame anyone's hypersensitivity towards the subject, or why I should just shut up and be atheist.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by son_of_bodom

Just shut the fuck up with all of this marriage equality shit already. Why is the pit so obsessed with civil rights? If you're pro marriage equality just shut up and be pro marriage equality.

Just shut the fuck up with all of this reproductive rights shit already. Why is the pit so obsessed with a woman's right to choose? If you're pro-choice just shut up and be pro choice.

Just shut the fuck up with all of this anti-war shit already. Why is the pit so obsessed with our country going to war or not with Iran? If you're against it just shut up and be against it.

Just shut the fuck up with all of this tax reform it already. Why is the pit so obsessed with the tax system in the country? If you're against it just shut up and be against it.

Just shut the fuck up with all of this government corruption shit already. Why is the pit so obsessed with the state of money in politics? If you're against it just shut up and be against it.

Do i seriously have to go on? It's because of attitudes like yours our government can get away with the things it does. Don't ever tell me to shut up and not voice my opinion if i feel it's necessary.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Todd Hart

In case you hadn't noticed, but about 6/7 people in this world are religious. 78% of Americans are Christians too. I think it fits pretty nicely. And a lot of scientists are religious themselves too. You people just take the most extreme religious nuts and say everyone is like that which isn't true at all. There are crazy people from both sides, and it has nothing to do with religion, but the person.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
My parents have been married for nearly 40 years and I've never been anything even closely resembling religious.
Quote by Jostry
In case you hadn't noticed, but about 6/7 people in this world are religious. 78% of Americans are Christians too. I think it fits pretty nicely. And a lot of scientists are religious themselves too. You people just take the most extreme religious nuts and say everyone is like that which isn't true at all. There are crazy people from both sides, and it has nothing to do with religion, but the person.

No amount of belief makes something right. Religion has a massively negative effect on society, technological development and the concept of morality. It was created by pre-scientific cultures in order to explain a world they did not understand - and was then twisted by those in power, as our societies became more hierarchical and expansive, into a tool for controlling the masses and keeping them in line. The fact it still exists today, despite the fact that the vast majority of its claims and tenets have been indisputably proven to be incorrect, is, frankly, worrying. However, people can believe whatever they like, woe betide me to stop them. However, the fact that these blatantly illogical and incorrect texts still have a foothold in legal systems of our most 'advanced' cultures is nothing short of disturbing.
Quote by Todd Hart
No amount of belief makes something right. Religion has a massively negative effect on society, technological development and the concept of morality. It was created by pre-scientific cultures in order to explain a world they did not understand - and was then twisted by those in power, as our societies became more hierarchical and expansive, into a tool for controlling the masses and keeping them in line. The fact it still exists today, despite the fact that the vast majority of its claims and tenets have been indisputably proven to be incorrect, is, frankly, worrying. However, people can believe whatever they like, woe betide me to stop them. However, the fact that these blatantly illogical and incorrect texts still have a foothold in legal systems of our most 'advanced' cultures is nothing short of disturbing.

Not really... If the majority of the people believe and we are still advancing technologically I say it doesn't really make a difference. But the extreme religious people are a problem, yes.
Quote by progdude93
Quote by Jostry
Not really... If the majority of the people believe and we are still advancing technologically I say it doesn't really make a difference. But the extreme religious people are the problem, yes.

I would much rather castrate society of its illogical bronze-age mythology than have our technological potential limited.

If we obey religion, we all live as serfs. We obey mindlessly, we ignore and chastise certain viewpoints and technologies arbitrarily and we live our lives in service to something we cannot prove, and have no reason to belief, even exists.

If we ignore religion, life will be drastically improved for the groups religion oppresses and our technology (especially in the field of genetics and bio-engineering) and society will be limited only by faculty.

If we believe in God we live as peasants, if we believe in reason then we live as Gods.
I doubt there's a connection

My parents are together and I was raised Catholic, but I'm atheist now
Quote by Todd Hart
I would much rather castrate society of its illogical bronze-age mythology than have our technological potential limited.

If we obey religion, we all live as serfs. We obey mindlessly, we ignore and chastise certain viewpoints and technologies arbitrarily and we live our lives in service to something we cannot prove, and have no reason to belief, even exists.

If we ignore religion, life will be drastically improved for the groups religion oppresses and our technology (especially in the field of genetics and bio-engineering) and society will be limited only by faculty.

If we believe in God we live as peasants, if we believe in reason then we live as Gods.

The further we go technologically the further it will be forgotten. If God really doesn't exist and we all don't die from some sort of Apocalypse then religion will be the thing of the past in a few hundred years. (like the Greek gods Zeus, Poseidon etc...)
Quote by progdude93
Quote by xSheogorathx
I doubt there's a connection

My parents are together and I was raised Catholic, but I'm atheist now

I never thought there would be a connection, my real interest was seeing the ratio of theist to atheist in the seperated categories. UG obviously isn't the best to poll being so heavily atheist, I'm a bit curious what it would be on a national stage though.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by son_of_bodom
People aren't going to sporadically drop their religion if a conclusion to the above answers comes up. Religion plays/has played a role in society for centuries, why is this so groundbreaking all of a sudden?

The guy that created this post said that he was just curious about what actual numbers about this subject would be because he is trying to see if there is actually any correlation. Nobody is trying to make anyone convert or drop their religion. However, us logical people didn't need to be told this :P TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50