Hi, I've been messing around with my big muff pi russia recently and I've come to the conclusion that it's too...well, thin, for my tastes.

I like the fuzz it produces, but is there a way to make it a bit thicker?? Would I need to buy a new pedal for thickening the tone, or is there a better fuzz pedal that produces great fuzz, but also a thick, full tone??

Thanks1
Quote by Green_Ghoul
Vox Valvetronix VT40+

I have located the problem.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Have you ever tried the Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker version? it has two extra switches, one is the Wicker which compresses the tone some, but the other is a Tone switch which bypasses the tone knob completely and uses your amps settings only. the Muffs to me lack some of the mids and if your clean tone has some healthy mids dialed in, the tone switch on that Muff will bring em back.

It has some massive thickness when the tone knob is bypassed...aswell as a major volume increase.
what you need is a new amp
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Green_Ghoul

is there a way around it? like if i turn off all effects and only have "clean" set?

The problem is that your amp isn't really thick sounding at all.
Play the Muff through a proper tube amp and you will see what it's all about.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i have no monies for a tube amp, and I bought this one in december because my guitar teacher recommended it to me (he has one of the older models for practicing) since I'm not in a band and won't be gigging.

Are there pedals that would thicken the sound? Or would I be better off just playing on my old amp, a Laney GC50, if I want that thick tone (I don't remember the thickness of the muff on that, it's been a while since I played it, my brother uses it now)?
fender strat MIM w/ stock pickups and fender mustang mij w/ SD phat cat p90 in the bridge and lace silver in the neck
From EHX Tone tips....

Running your guitar into an Octave Multiplexer and any one of the Big Muff pedals generates a thick, distorted, sub octave that will shake the walls. The Octave Multiplexer uses an analog flip-flop circuit to produces a unique, fat, grainy sub octave tone.
I can testify to this. I can create a sub octave with my Roland GR-55. When I first got my Tweak Fuzz I thought it was thin. Then one day I was running my GR-55 into it and it was thick and knarly, and I was confused. I though the GR-55 was running a straight pass-thru with the hex pickup, but later I saw I had a small amount of sub-octave in the signal.

Last edited by fly135 at Feb 29, 2012,
I'll be sure to look out for that pedal. Thanks for the tip, fly.

I'm kinda bummed cus I used to have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of my mustang, but never used the big muff with it because I left all my pedals at home until right after I replaced it with the phat cat . Would a Lace Blue/Silver suffice if I were to put them in the neck/mid positions of my strat (my buddy has them and said he'll give them to me)?
Try a chorus!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra