I am currently tracking some acoustic demo's with my new Blue bluebird mic through a M-audio mobile-pre with my Alvarez acoustic guitar and was curious if a change to a Taylor or Martin would really make a substantial difference in my quality?

this is what i am using now: http://allstarmusiccenter.com/store...emart&Itemid=18

This is what i am thinking of getting: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-...556-i2287034.gc
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
A guitar won't change the quality, the mic would be the main thing that affects that. Try different mic positions if you don't like the sound you're getting while recording first. Chances are if you think the guitar sounds good when you play normally it will when your record too, you just have to figure out the proper way to record.
Well, guitars can affect the quality. Some guitars record better than others. The guitar player also has an impact on the quality of the recording.

A Taylor sounds a lot different than a Martin. Typically, most Taylor acoustics have a nice open tone, with a nice meaty bottom. A lot of girls have the same thing.

Most Martins, on the other hand, have a much darker tone. A lot of ex-wives have that in common.

Your mic, or method of recording, as Cloudkicker pointed out, will also have an impact. So it's a combination of things that add up to effect the quality.
i completely agree with vickshow for the most part. i can mic my guitar (couple thousand dollar breedlove) next to my girlfriends guitar ($300 version of my guitar, also breedlove), and there is a huge difference. the difference is more noticeable after i mic it than just playing side by side. if i want a really bright stummer, no comparison, i gotta borrow her guitar. for everything else, mine just wins.

there are ways around this however. as said, micing technique plays a huge part. try "unconventional" setups. i find for strumming, one of the better results i get is having a mic above my right shoulder, from the back, pointed at the bridge for example.

also, you can do processing afterward. if you really know what you're doing, you can get a guitar to sound just about however you want through a combination of micing technique and sound shaping in your daw. for this, i would start by imagining the ideal sound. from there, cut out the obvious problems. take your time. over the course of a few weeks (yes, weeks. dont do this for more than 20-30 minutes at a time or you'll get lost and your ears get tired) you will find your guitar sounds very good to you. just remember to save every combination as a preset

hope that helps
Quote by KG6_Steven
A Taylor sounds a lot different than a Martin. Typically, most Taylor acoustics have a nice open tone, with a nice meaty bottom. A lot of girls have the same thing.

I lol'd.

Anyway, mic'ing acoustics can be tricky. When I mic an acoustic, I generally place one microphone about a foot from where the neck and body meet and then another about a foot away from the bridge at a 45 degree angle. The two locations recording distinctively different tones. I then blend the two to perfection.

The Alverez you have, is it a solid top or a laminate job?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I've never used a bluebird mic, or even heard of the brand so i don;t know what sort of quality you're dealing with. From what I've been able to quickly find on the net, they seem to be decent quality bits of gear.

I've recorded release standard acoustic tracks using a behringer C-1 on an average acoustic guitar (Yamaha APX), and I got a really nice sound purely from correct mic placement. the right placement of the mic can actually make it almost sound better than they really are. How the mic is taking the sound in is equally, as important as the sound going into it.

A mic placement that has worked for me time and time again is to position the mic at about the point where the neck meets the body, approx 10-15cm from the strings. If you have baffles, set one ip at each end of the guitar (so one on either side of you). I find it gives a gread balance of fretboard tone and volume/impact from the soundboard. This works best if your mic has an omnidirectional setting but can still be really nice with a cardioid mic.

If the guitar is going to be your only insrument for the recording, you might want to move it slightly closer to the sound-hole to get a little more bottom end but this will at least give you a good starting point.

All the best man!
forgot to mention in my earlier post, if it is possible to get somebody else to play the guitar while you set up, give this a try. plug one ear. listen to the sound of your instrument at different locations. move around the instrument, listen from different angles in different locations until you find one that really speaks to you. when you find that, place a mic there and play around a little. you'll just know if you hit it right when you listen to it. if not, tear down the setup and start over