Page 1 of 2
i bought if from a local tech. its a 1993 if i remember what he said. serial says it was first series. it was absolutly mint. he bought it from an elderly guy who was going to throw it away. thank god that didn't happen. he recapped it, replaced all pots, some of them came plastic which is a common failure. brand new tubes as of the completion of yesterday.

its a Sovtek MIG 50

here are some pics.

first off this came from http://www.triodeamplification.com/ which is what he does as well as tech work in the area at his place. very friendly guy. he noticed something minor wasn't completely right and he removed the chassis an tighten the tube socked down and made the tubes fit better by bending prongs. all Sovetek tubes.

the amp is killer i love the breaking point, it is amazing.

paid $380 cash.

as many you probably remember posting a thread looking for a high gain amp, but bewteen this an the Ibby Prestige 2570EVSL = $700 all said and done, and am much happer with what i have as a backup full floater, and a MIG.

as for review, this is a tank. has very smooth clear tones at lower volume, and holy god does it sound amazing once you get the dial up there in volume. these amps are just as good as they say they are. its a little late to get some more testing done here tonight, but when you got the volume to noon the breakup was just amazing. very sensitive. the "I" (first) channel has beautiful cleans, that you can get a little power tube OD at hella loud plauing, past 50% on the amp.

killer amp. i am trying to find room for it, as well as a cab/
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 28, 2012,
Nice. How wide is the chassis? You may be able to rack mount it. It looks pretty short.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh my gosh. A mig 50 just popped up at my local guitar center and I've been wondering about them. Do you have any way of recording clips? I really want to hear a good demo of the clean channel. If possible, another demo of the cleans with some reverb and delay on. haha

Also, how loud does it get before it starts breaking up?

edit: excuse my rudeness, happy new amp day!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by ibanezguitars44 at Feb 28, 2012,
Would ya look at that?
Just look at it!
Looks nice
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
They just had to put the ® in it lol. HNMD! She's a beauty!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Cool.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by JKHC
Would ya look at that?
Just look at it!
Looks nice

All you can do is look at it.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I read the title as 'NEW MG day' and came in expecting to find a spam/mirror thread, or some poor, clueless twerp who thought his new Marshall MG was teh shiz.

Congratulations on the new amp!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
thanks everybody for the responses. unfortunately i have no way of recording clips. the clean channel doesn't break up for quite a while, if i were to estimate you would be able to play a venue and have usable cleans. loud amp. he dimed both channels and my god, it is loud, i haven't really touched it since i got it home. i gotta rearrange a lot of gear to fit this. somewhere. i am thinking cab with english t75's or an avatar cab with two EVH celestions mixed with two vintage 30's, or an orange 2x12" at this point in time, i just want to find it a home. i have heads stacking up.

the cleans really do sparkle. if you were looking at one on ebay, the listing was ended because that is that amp i bought.

again great guy i got it from, great amp. i will do a little more reviewing after i can turn it up a bit.

also this is in pristine condition. amazing. it is going to be a studio only amp.

cath, around 18 inches. 45.2cm.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Then you would be able to rack mount it if you wanted to. You've seen the way I built my rig haven't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nah the one I found is at my local guitar center. Popped up on the used section yesterday. Got me really interested. I need to go try it out

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Nah the one I found is at my local guitar center. Popped up on the used section yesterday. Got me really interested. I need to go try it out

it is an awesome amp, but there is no master volume, so to get gain you have to get it pretty loud. once you are up there it is killer but if you don't kick the power tubes hard enough you wont get much OD. this is an amp that proper time for an attentuator would an option for much gain.

loud amazing, quiet still brilliant cleans, but again, no MV so you have to trun it up to get the gain. great amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard
Then you would be able to rack mount it if you wanted to. You've seen the way I built my rig haven't you?

is it under your profile or website? i have looked at both, but haven't seen it if it isn't in either of those places.

edit: yes i see how you have. very convenient, but this is an amp i will probably keep in studio. it is mint and around 20 years old, so i figure i would keep it that way.

your setup time must be damn quick. probably about as fast as the sound guy can move a slider.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 29, 2012,
Mod in an FX loop. Then rack mount the whole thing. Stick two rack units into it that have programmable output volumes, one out front, one in the loop. Now with a MIDI controller you can adjust both your boost and have a programmable master volume to balance out the overall volume.
No need to butcher the front of the amp, just stick a pot on the back for FX send and the rest can be done via MIDI. You know have a setup than can do anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
most of the time i go out i do a Splawn NItro with a 4x12" i know its overkill but the 2x12's are bot open back at the moment (both Orange PPC212OB). i am building new enclosures when you have time. i have one 1x12" done. i made it very oversized, so it should be interesting. i will build a bunch of cabs when i have the time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it is an awesome amp, but there is no master volume, so to get gain you have to get it pretty loud. once you are up there it is killer but if you don't kick the power tubes hard enough you wont get much OD. this is an amp that proper time for an attentuator would an option for much gain.

loud amazing, quiet still brilliant cleans, but again, no MV so you have to trun it up to get the gain. great amp.

I want clean! haha. I'd like it if it stayed clean all the way to 10. But I do appreciate some subtle break up. It seems this amp is dynamically exactly what I'm looking for. We'll see if the tone is what I want.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by trashedlostfdup
most of the time i go out i do a Splawn NItro with a 4x12" i know its overkill but the 2x12's are bot open back at the moment (both Orange PPC212OB). i am building new enclosures when you have time. i have one 1x12" done. i made it very oversized, so it should be interesting. i will build a bunch of cabs when i have the time.

Want to sell me that Nitro?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
There is a pic in my profile but here's a better one:
http://cathbard.com/images/temp/abbey-rack4.jpg

All I did was make a box (out of an old pinball machine actually) and add a panel to the front to sit the amp on. Yours has the chassis on the bottom so it's even easier. All your panel has to do is fill in the gap between the amp and the first rack unit.
I had to mount mine from the sides. You can see the wooden spacers I made in the pic. I should have painted those black. I actually bolted those to the amp and then used wood screws through the cabinet into the spacer to hold it in place. With any luck your chassis is screwed in from the bottom then you'd be sitting pretty.
The rack units are simply screwed into a block of wood attached to the inside corner. It doubles as some reinforcement for the cabinet too.
The whole thing took an afternoon to knock up. Your amp is narrow enough to do the same thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ibanezguitars44
I want clean! haha. I'd like it if it stayed clean all the way to 10. But I do appreciate some subtle break up. It seems this amp is dynamically exactly what I'm looking for. We'll see if the tone is what I want.

it stays clean as long as you would ever reasonably need it to. you will hit a little bit of dirt way up there.

vdr-nah i am holding on to that one as well as the promod.

and cath i will check the pics in a second.

looks like a great setup. i rarely use pedals, not even to boost amps. the splawns don't need it. i don't mess with the blue voodoo once a month, the lee jackson gets some play, but actually most i play amp wise is the orange. because i play through the night and it can be quiet enough.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 29, 2012,
If only someone would buy my ltd h-307 lol

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Cathbard
There is a pic in my profile but here's a better one:
http://cathbard.com/images/temp/abbey-rack4.jpg

All I did was make a box (out of an old pinball machine actually) and add a panel to the front to sit the amp on. Yours has the chassis on the bottom so it's even easier. All your panel has to do is fill in the gap between the amp and the first rack unit.
I had to mount mine from the sides. You can see the wooden spacers I made in the pic. I should have painted those black. I actually bolted those to the amp and then used wood screws through the cabinet into the spacer to hold it in place. With any luck your chassis is screwed in from the bottom then you'd be sitting pretty.
The rack units are simply screwed into a block of wood attached to the inside corner. It doubles as some reinforcement for the cabinet too.
The whole thing took an afternoon to knock up. Your amp is narrow enough to do the same thing.

i have built some head cabs, for a new look. so i know what you are saying and doing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it stays clean as long as you would ever reasonably need it to. you will hit a little bit of dirt way up there.

vdr-nah i am holding on to that one as well as the promod.

and cath i will check the pics in a second.

looks like a great setup. i rarely use pedals, not even to boost amps. the splawns don't need it. i don't mess with the blue voodoo once a month, the lee jackson gets some play, but actually most i play amp wise is the orange. because i play through the night and it can be quiet enough.

I absolutely love my MIG. One of the better amps I've played, unfortunately I have to sell it.

HNMD though. It's nice to see others appreciate just how amazing these amps really are.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
My amp doesn't need boosting really either because Channel3 has an extra 12AX7 in it - but that makes it sound Mesa like. If I boost one of the other two channels (ch2 is just a mv version of ch1) it sounds less like a Mesa and more like a boosted Marshal/Vox sorta thing.
Having programmable input and MV just gives you so much scope to vary your tone. There aren't that many normal amps you can mount into a rack but when you can it's worth doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hngd!!!
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
An amp I have been wanting to hear/play for a long time. HNAD! If you ever need someone to take it off your hands
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
thanks again for the comments.

i got done messing around with higher volume. damn its loud. 9 o'clock its loud as you would never need it, seems to have plenty more volume on tap. at 9 o'clock you can dial the volume knob on your guitar back for some mildly dirty cleans, they are very tasteful.

so far i am using it on a Orange 2x12" open back cab (PPC212OB), open back cabinet isn't necessarily ideal. i will try it with another cab later. the mesa might sound pretty good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
here is a gut shot!

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'll bring the stoner if you bring the doom! CLipz?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Pretty sweet dude.

HNMIGD

now you have even more clips to do

I request some doom-stoner-sludge

Great price too

thanks. it sounds great. really didn't intend on picking up another amp, but i couldn't pass it up. it is honestly a top tier amp. it sounds way beyond than what expected.

i don't even know what to do with the recording stuff. i don't have a powerful enough computer other than the computer in my office, which is on the opposite end of the house, and don't know what to get or when to get it as far as far as tech goes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well, we've talked about it before but you def have the gear and the chops to warrant some decent recording gear. You can get a Line 6 UX1 for around $100 and it includes Pod Farm which is cool. A used SM57 is probably around $50.

Solved.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well, we've talked about it before but you def have the gear and the chops to warrant some decent recording gear. You can get a Line 6 UX1 for around $100 and it includes Pod Farm which is cool. A used SM57 is probably around $50.

Solved.

i have a four channel interface two mic's with fantom power for conderners four without. i have a SM57, mic stand, etc. just not fast enough computer i could use.

i don't know what i should pick up, and if i would its $1000 or so, and that money slips out of my pockets on CL to fast before i get to a computer. for example another ibby (2570EVSL Prestige) like a got a couple of weeks ago or the Mig yesterday. i find too many good deals.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
oh crap - I forgot you had all that stuff.

how old is your PC? My Toshiba laptop is probably 4 years old now. If you have a decent interface (UX1 or higher) then it will do most of the work for you.

p.s. ....i still owe you that clip
Quote by ibanezguitars44
All you can do is look at it.

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
oh crap - I forgot you had all that stuff.

how old is your PC? My Toshiba laptop is probably 4 years old now. If you have a decent interface (UX1 or higher) then it will do most of the work for you.

p.s. ....i still owe you that clip

i have a netbook. i really don't think it would work.

my laptop is as old as Vista, i bought it the day it came out. it runs just way to slow, and i can't reformat the drive because i can't find the discs that came with it. it probably has some virus or something bogging it down and even my father can't get it to run. one of these days i will get bored and try it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gregs1020

that's awesome.

thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Very nice amp, no one realises what/how good of amps those really are. any one with a JCM900 is so F-ing Jelly over this.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2