i play stuff like guns n roses, metallica etc and i own an ibanez rg370dx. im looking to buy a new amp with a budget of $250. which amp should i buy? everyone here hates marshall mgs, why is that? i thought marshalls were very good. someone also recommended the peavey vypr 15?
Some Marshalls are good, some aren't so good. The only truth is that it's all just opinion - a lot of the more vocal people in these forums say that Marshall's MG range is terrible, but there are lots of people out there who own MGs and are happy with them. It depends what you want from your amp, not what someone else wants from their amp.

The only true advice for any thread like this is to go to as many shops as possible and try as many amps as possible.

Given a choice of just the two you mentioned though, most people would recommend the Peavey - and that includes me, one of the few people not afraid to say that MGs aren't really that terrible.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Dude just listen to gregs and tubetime, and cathbard is going to stir some shit and there will be a retarded debate ending with acousticmin posting a pony.

Tone comes from you spending hours with your instrument anyways.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Location? Playing at home or gigging?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Unless your the grimmest of the northern darkness, or mr. clean jazz guy, you're going to want a tube power section.
vypyr 30, vox vt 20, roland cube 20, mustang 2. if I was you id go with the roland.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Unless your the grimmest of the northern darkness, or mr. clean jazz guy, you're going to want a tube power section.
He'll be lucky to even get a hybrid for $250, I doubt he's going to get full tube.

TS: High-end Marshalls are very good, but the MG line is terrible. They're all poorly built overpriced practice amps with the Marshall logo stamped on. They're not the worst that exists but they still don't live up to their price tags. Also avoid Line 6's Spider range.

With your budget grab a Peavey Vypyr 30 or Vypyr 75. Those would be the best options in your price range.
Vypyr 75 is hardly gig worthy. I will throw out the obligatory "best of the solid state garbage" line and see that you try out a VH140 or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Vypyr 75 is hardly gig worthy. I will throw out the obligatory "best of the solid state garbage" line and see that you try out a VH140 or something.

He hasn't answered the question of whether he'll be gigging or not yet. I'm guessing he won't be though, as he was considering the Vypyr 15 in his original post - an amp that size is only for home use.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
sorry for the late reply. im not looking for a gig amp. just something to practice on.
get at least the vypyr 30. the speaker is horrible in the 15.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Why would he not want to play out?

If you really are scared of drummers and such, at least get a 12" speaker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Why would he not want to play out?
Some people get enough satisfaction with just wanking in their bedroom to their favorite songs. Not everyone takes guitar seriously.
If you buy used you can probably have a decent tube combo for that price. Keep your eye out for a used Jet city 20 combo. I see them go for $250 all the time and it would fit your styles of music well.
20 watt tube amp is almost unplayable indoors. With a 140 watt solid state power section, you get mediocre tones in the bedroom and outside of it as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
20 watt tube amp is almost unplayable indoors.
This is complete bullshit. Beyond bullshit. I can run a 100w head into a 4x12 cab IN MY BEDROOM AT A BEDROOM LEVEL and get GREAT tone, at least for random wanking. Saying a 20w tube combo is impossible to play indoors is beyond crazy. I don't know what it is with the concept of UG members and the concept of volume knobs, but it's ridiculous.

Regardless, the 20w Jet City's aren't good for metal in the slightest, IMO. The higher watt ones absolutely, but the TS would be far better off with a Vypyr.
i got the 20w jet city today and im gonna try some thrash well see how it goes.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This is complete bullshit. Beyond bullshit. I can run a 100w head into a 4x12 cab IN MY BEDROOM AT A BEDROOM LEVEL and get GREAT tone, at least for random wanking. Saying a 20w tube combo is impossible to play indoors is beyond crazy. I don't know what it is with the concept of UG members and the concept of volume knobs, but it's ridiculous.

Regardless, the 20w Jet City's aren't good for metal in the slightest, IMO. The higher watt ones absolutely, but the TS would be far better off with a Vypyr.

Bunch of dummies think that the only use for tube amps is poweramp distortion.

Apparently a bunch of people didn't get the memo that it's not the 70's anymore.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This is complete bullshit. Beyond bullshit. I can run a 100w head into a 4x12 cab IN MY BEDROOM AT A BEDROOM LEVEL and get GREAT tone, at least for random wanking. Saying a 20w tube combo is impossible to play indoors is beyond crazy. I don't know what it is with the concept of UG members and the concept of volume knobs, but it's ridiculous. .

Totally agree - there are loads of threads asking for solutions where the volume knob is the answer.

Has to be said though, that guy hasn't been very useful with any of his posts in this thread - his status says it all: "UG Spammer".
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
20 watt tube amp is almost unplayable indoors. With a 140 watt solid state power section, you get mediocre tones in the bedroom and outside of it as well.

UG Spammer seems to be right on the money. i have a late 70s Legend Rock and Roll 50 2x12 that has a solid state power section that will bury many 50 watt tube amps for volume (the preamp is all tube with a tube rectifier). back in the day i played with a guy that had a 50 watt Marshall head and 4x12 bottom that used to have to beg for mercy because my amp was so loud. granted it's a very early boutique amp and the power section uses (for the time) very high end components but since you made a blanket statement it still applies.

not all guys play live or in bands especially if they are new players.

seems like you may have to change your name to DeathByStupidity.
This is funny stuff^. I have a AC15C1 and it is fine to play in smaller rooms. The Jet City amp has a master volume. Anyway you should go to a local shop and check some used ones out. I guess valvekings are good as well.