Hi! I have an issue with my Epi. The back is swollen, as shown in the picture. Someone happened the same? Sorry for my english!

Are you sure it's changed? Many guitars are designed with the back slightly curved. The backs are heavily braced, and are not subject to string tension, so they rarely change.
Of course, if you keep the guitar in an extremely humid environment, it's possible.

Can you check it against the same model in a store to compare?
Quote by Bikewer
Are you sure it's changed? Many guitars are designed with the back slightly curved. The backs are heavily braced, and are not subject to string tension, so they rarely change.
Of course, if you keep the guitar in an extremely humid environment, it's possible.

Can you check it against the same model in a store to compare?

Thanks for the replie. Im not sure, perhaps is my paranoid mind. You right about the string tension. The environment where i keep the guitar is normal. This is a picture take for another user (Black Hummingbird).

(Invalid img)
there's no such thing as "normal" when it comes to thin wood. many people live in humidity that's too high for a guitar to be without swelling. i live in los angeles, and in the past month the outdoor humidity here has covered the spectrum from 11%, which is way too low to keep guitars in safely, to almost 90%, which is high enough to cause a number of problems.

you can get a hygrometer for under $10, do a salt test, and then you'll know.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
there's no such thing as "normal" when it comes to thin wood. many people live in humidity that's too high for a guitar to be without swelling. i live in los angeles, and in the past month the outdoor humidity here has covered the spectrum from 11%, which is way too low to keep guitars in safely, to almost 90%, which is high enough to cause a number of problems.

you can get a hygrometer for under $10, do a salt test, and then you'll know.

Thanxs for the recomendation!
Let's see what we've learned! Your Hummingbird is "swollen". Not only that, but your friend's Hummingbird is "swollen" in exactly the same way.

I just checked my "Exotic Wood" Ibanez, (which is also a jumbo), and holy crap, it's swollen too.

Now, my Ibanez is a plywood piece of crap, you just ask any of the "experts" here).

So, why the heck would this plywood garbage guitar even be affected by high humidity.

I checked the "humidify your guitar for the winter" thread, and it states you don't have to worry about crappy plywood guitars. What the heck is going on?

Oh wait, my "ibby" is built with a swollen back, and it's fairly common, especially in jumbo body guitars. I know the back of my $1200.00 Guild maple 12 string was swollen. (That's $1200.00 in 1995 money, BTW).

So, you need to figure out how much curvature is built into the guitar in the first place, before you summarily decide it should be flat.

By all means, buy whatever instruments you need, and take whatever measures you must to optimize your environment. Just remember some curvature is normal.

Quote by patticake
there's no such thing as "normal" when it comes to thin wood. many people live in humidity that's too high for a guitar to be without swelling. i live in los angeles, and in the past month the outdoor humidity here has covered the spectrum from 11%, which is way too low to keep guitars in safely, to almost 90%, which is high enough to cause a number of problems. you can get a hygrometer for under $10, do a salt test, and then you'll know.
This just tells me you shouldn't keep your guitars outside in the LA area. I mean really, one day it rains, (100% RH), and one day it doesn't, (maybe 11% RH).

RH change in an interior environment, is heavily mitigated from outdoor RH by separation, and moisture content in wood is even more separated from the cycle. After all, they season wood for months in controlled environments before the moisture content optimizes.

I don't really care. As I said, my junk is mostly plywood, and I have plenty else to go hysterical about.

I seen and heard about underground facilities with optimum humidity and temperature for preserving stuff, if you'd really like to lavish yourself to excess. http://www.undergroundvaults.com/index.php/services/underground-storage/four-critical-factors-for-document-preservation/
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 1, 2012,