Sorry if this thread exists, had a look and couldn't really find anything.

I have a Soundcloud where I export guitarpro files as .wav files. This sounds pretty awful.

What sort of software or techniques are there for improving the quality of your 'computer metal' ?

Someone recommended Superior Drummer software for the drum tracks?
Quote by a_7_x
Sorry if this thread exists, had a look and couldn't really find anything.

I have a Soundcloud where I export guitarpro files as .wav files. This sounds pretty awful.

What sort of software or techniques are there for improving the quality of your 'computer metal' ?

Someone recommended Superior Drummer software for the drum tracks?

It depends what sort of instruments you're after. For drums, you can indeed import the Guitar Pro MIDI files into a dedicated drum sequencer (or even into a proper DAW, i.e Logic and Pro Tools etc., using the piano roll and adding your own samples) though I believe Guitar Pro doesn't use the same MIDI format as some drum sequencers (I believe the problem is that GP doesn't export using the General MIDI chart).

As for bass, you may get away with it if you have some decent bass soft-synths, though it won't be as expressive or lifelike as a real bassist playing the track.

Guitarwise: you will be hardpushed to even come close to the sound of a guitar. Guitar Pro's RSE guitar synthesis is pretty bad, but there are few programs that do much better really... it's one of those instruments that just has so many variables (particularly overdriven/distorted tones) that make synthesis of a guitar an incredibly complex thing.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

As for bass, you may get away with it if you have some decent bass soft-synths, though it won't be as expressive or lifelike as a real bassist playing the track.

I've haven't looked for a decent bass amp vst out there partly because I haven't had the need to look for one or need a realistic one for quick-put-together recordings.

I usually find that importing the MIDI track into Fruity Loops or an equally good synth program, and just plugging in a bass sample from there usually helps. But as far as quickness goes, I recommend just using the basic MIDI bass samples and EQ'ing the bass to cut all the highs and curve the lows to the mids.

but like you said, a real bassist is better , obviously.

fyi - When I didnt have the software, I used an acoustic or even electric guitar to "do" the bass track, EQ the lows and use a 'pitch' shift plugin to lower it down a few octaves, lol it was desperate but it was good enough to play along to.