I'm looking to get my 1st bass guitar. I'm classically trained in the upright bass so I know most of the theory, I'm just wondering what are the drawbacks of getting a 5 string guitar? I'm considering getting the Samick Corsair and the 5 string one is only $50 more then the 4 string one so I'm wondering if it's worth it for the extra string.
I find the extra string to be very useful. Especially since you can learn songs that are drop tuned without ever having to tune (unless its super low). I say go for it. I know alot of bassists around here that swore by 4 strings but after they played a five they never go back haha
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
It wouldnt hurt to get the 5 string bass given that the one your looking at isnt much more expensive, and since you have been trained you shouldn't have much trouble handling it. My advice would be to go to a shop and play them both to see when one feels right to you and the style that you want to play
I went from 4 to 5 strings. Best decision I ever made (musically-wise). When you downtune your 4string you get a lot of string buzz. Not a problem when you get a 5string.
It being a Samick, I'd definitely suggest you check it out first. In my (limited) experience, cheap 5s can be a little dodgier than cheap 4s. Again, just my experience.

But conceptually I completely agree. After moving to a 5, I now won't look at anything other than 5s or 6s.

EDIT: One other thing to consider is that I've found you have to EQ them a bit differently to get the eveness, and a compressor can be a godsend.
Last edited by Wolffgang at Feb 29, 2012,
It just depends on what you need to get your job done.

I think every bassist should TRY a 5 string. But every bassist does not NEED a 5 string.

I've owned 2 5 strings over the years. But, i just do not need the extra string for anything that i do.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
It just depends on what you need to get your job done.

I think every bassist should TRY a 5 string. But every bassist does not NEED a 5 string.

I've owned 2 5 strings over the years. But, i just do not need the extra string for anything that i do.

I very rarely use the extra range nowadays, but taking away the low B feels weird to me now But it's nice to have the extra lump of metal for the extra notes in a position. Jeroen Thesseling has a similar outlook on having a low F#- he won't concentrate on it, but uses it because it helps with more arrangement possibilities.

Then he rambled on about 80 tone equal temperament scales and I switched off
Judging by all the comments I think I will go 5 string. They are the same model of instrument, the only difference is that the 5 string has the low b string and is $50 more. I feel that that is worth it.
There's really no drawback to a 5-string bass. If anything, it's more of an advantage. You get more versatality due to the extra string. It might be a little harder to slap, but it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust to.

My 2 cents.
CJ- You should probably get a guitar then.
6 Is all you'll ever need =)

Quote by theKorean
There's really no drawback to a 5-string bass. If anything, it's more of an advantage. You get more versatality due to the extra string. It might be a little harder to slap, but it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust to.

My 2 cents.

But there is a drawback if you just like the feel of a 4 string neck. Also if you dont like anchoring on another string when playing the E string, you'd want a 4 (Or be like Janek Gwizdala who has a 5 string tuned EADGC)

I've personally never found a 5 string neck that I felt comfortable on. I love the feel of 4's, I love both my 6ers. Hate 5ers
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Feb 29, 2012,
Quote by King Of Suede

But there is a drawback if you just like the feel of a 4 string neck. Also if you dont like anchoring on another string when playing the E string, you'd want a 4 (Or be like Janek Gwizdala who has a 5 string tuned EADGC)

I've personally never found a 5 string neck that I felt comfortable on. I love the feel of 4's, I love both my 6ers. Hate 5ers

I want more range in both directions. I need a tone generator.
Play keyboard then.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede

Thats true. I'm not a fan of 5+ strings because my finger's aren't long enough to use the bass as comfortably as I do a 4 string. A 6 string feels like an ironing board in my hands.