Well... I hate Line 6 soooooooo much, and 7 string guitars sound like droning farts... especially when tuned to A.

BUT, I figured out a few days ago that one of my main idols as a guitar player; Stephan Forte from a band called Adagio. (look em up) uses a Line6 POD X3 on ALL of his recordings. And, his signature guitar... which is a 7 string 27 fret deal tuned to A (it's absolutely beautiful, check out the SF1000 by LAG guitars)

And, well.. I LOVE his guitar tone, over all else. He doesn't make the low B sound like someone's just rippin' ass every time he plays on the string.

WELL in this interview I saw the other day where he was talking about his gear he mentioned that he uses a Line 6 Pod HD500 pedal that he just plugs into the PA and still gets his signature sound out of it..

Now tell me, how does one go about just plugging in an amp modeling processor into the PA system? WITHOUT the amp, mind you. Is there something I'm seriously missing here? Does this mean that I can just ditch the stack and carry a little box to the stage and plug it in? (unless playing headlining shows that is.)
I wanna know how this works... I'm stupid when it comes to what it takes to play live shows at bigger venues.

Thanks!
Quote by Venpresath

Now tell me, how does one go about just plugging in an amp modeling processor into the PA system? WITHOUT the amp, mind you. Is there something I'm seriously missing here? Does this mean that I can just ditch the stack and carry a little box to the stage and plug it in? (unless playing headlining shows that is.)
I wanna know how this works... I'm stupid when it comes to what it takes to play live shows at bigger venues.

Thanks!

Yes it does. You can even do it at headlining shows. Most players use a powered pa cab for monitoring on stage though.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
It's easy, the pedal models a amp being miced up, just like running a cab sim and impulses in a DAW for recording, and it runs into the board, and is pumped out via a PA power amp into the PA speakers...alot of church bands do this to get ride of gear on stage and isolate channels.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's easy, the pedal models a amp being miced up, just like running a cab sim and impulses in a DAW for recording, and it runs into the board, and is pumped out via a PA power amp into the PA speakers...alot of church bands do this to get ride of gear on stage and isolate channels.

THIS SAVES ME SO MUCH TIME! Probably don't get as good of a sound out of pedals as you would a good tube amp would you? Or does that just depend on the quality of the pedal?
It's exactly as easy as being described. Grab an XLR cable and plug the POD straight into the PA. Done.

With modelers getting better and decent PAs getting cheaper and more common, it's not surprising that this is becoming a popular setup.
Quote by Venpresath
THIS SAVES ME SO MUCH TIME! Probably don't get as good of a sound out of pedals as you would a good tube amp would you? Or does that just depend on the quality of the pedal?

It gets a pretty decent sound, most people couldn't tell the difference between a HD500 and a real tube amp.
In my experience for heavily distorted tones or cleans, someone who knows what there doing with a couple pedals or a pod can get by nicely, illusions start to fall apart for tones just on the edge between clean and distorted alla rolling stones, some RHCP, indie etc.. so you'll probably get by, never underestimate the powere of not having an amp behind you for security/aesthetic purposes though. It's intimidating if your playing with another guitarist and they have a stack and you have your little geeky pedal board.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Feb 29, 2012,
Some of the Axe-FX and POD HD stuff is getting really good, and the POD/PA route is certainly more consistent, versatile, and volume-friendly. With a really nice PA setup and a good, well-tweaked modeler, the sound can be just as good as a tube amp setup for the audience.

It's not nearly the same experience for the person playing, but whether or not that's a big deal is a more personal choice.
There is a lot of tweaking involved when running multi-fx through the PA with cab and mic simulation. It sounds good, but doesn't really beat micing a cab IMO.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
It's intimidating if your playing with another guitarist and they have a stack and you have your little geeky pedal board.

Yeah, it would be kind of strange not having the glowing light of a Madison Divinity II behind me. But, there's a few companies now that are making these things called like... closed back cabinets? That just look like a half stack with no speakers inside it. Then you put your little 30 watt amp in there, mic it up, and close the door and boom. Have perfect tone or whatever. I never even knew about the usage of pedals though.

For the rest of you, I think I seriously need a tutorial on how to make this work. Because I'd wanna use this same setup for practice! Could you point me in the direction of a good PA? (that won't rip a hole in my bank account.)
Quote by Venpresath
Yeah, it would be kind of strange not having the glowing light of a Madison Divinity II behind me. But, there's a few companies now that are making these things called like... closed back cabinets? That just look like a half stack with no speakers inside it. Then you put your little 30 watt amp in there, mic it up, and close the door and boom. Have perfect tone or whatever. I never even knew about the usage of pedals though.

For the rest of you, I think I seriously need a tutorial on how to make this work. Because I'd wanna use this same setup for practice! Could you point me in the direction of a good PA? (that won't rip a hole in my bank account.)

It's called an isolation box, I actually use one on stage, they work pretty good, but depending on how it's made, heavy and bulky.

A decent PA system for less than $1500...not gonna happen.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Feb 29, 2012,
Why do you need a PA? Most venues have one you can plug into unless the venues you gig at are way different to mine and for practise, it would be cheaper and less bulky to buy a cheap ass amp and plug your effects in then spend bazillions on a PA (they aint cheap)
SMILE!
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's called an isolation box, I actually use one on stage, they work pretty good, but depending on how it's made, heavy and bulky.

A decent PA system for less than $1500...not gonna happen.

Yeah! Those things! They seem really cool! What's your setup for playing live?

Aw man, oh well.. I'll just get a good amp and whatnot and buy this pedal nonetheless... Nothing can contain my excitement haha.
Quote by Venpresath
Yeah! Those things! They seem really cool! What's your setup for playing live?

Aw man, oh well.. I'll just get a good amp and whatnot and buy this pedal nonetheless... Nothing can contain my excitement haha.

Well, my set up is rather simple and kinda sad, but it works great. I have a heavily modded Yamaha GA-10 amp with a 8 inch Jenson Mod 8 speaker, covered with this badly made 3/4th isolation box to block the sound, miced up with a SM-58 with the pop filter removed, guitar varies between my 7 string and strat, dirt is a pedal I made based off of a Ross distortion, into a $5000 PA system. Most of my stuff is made by me.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, my set up is rather simple and kinda sad, but it works great. I have a heavily modded Yamaha GA-10 amp with a 8 inch Jenson Mod 8 speaker, covered with this badly made 3/4th isolation box to block the sound, miced up with a SM-58 with the pop filter removed, guitar varies between my 7 string and strat, dirt is a pedal I made based off of a Ross distortion, into a $5000 PA system. Most of my stuff is made by me.

That sounds awesome!
And, I guess I know what you mean now by the PA... holy crap lol
Quote by Pyrax87
There is a lot of tweaking involved when running multi-fx through the PA with cab and mic simulation. It sounds good, but doesn't really beat micing a cab IMO.

Seems like there'd be a lot of tone loss by just Micing the amp up. Where this is basically a direct feed straight into the PA. But, I also have to take into effect the volume and the pressure from the speakers of the amp itself.