Hi, I have a question for you, UG members...
I like metal and usually I do covers with Metallica/Slayer/Anthrax/Municipal Waste/ Violator things. Sometimes I try to do my own riffs even they are easy or banal...
Now the question: It's better to do cover or try to make some riffs even they're banal? What's the best thing to do?
Mastering technique. All chords, scales, etc. Then you can make something on your own. Do this, believe me.
Make covers give you the experience and ideas to help you with your inspiration, it's a good thing, try to do both.
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Quote by cemges
Mastering technique. All chords, scales, etc. Then you can make something on your own. Do this, believe me.

Quote by Facecut
Why choose one or the other. Do both.

Do this. Also: always write your own stuff, it's a skill that needs practicing as much as anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You don't have to be good at guitar to write a good riff. Some awful guitarists have stumbled on some great riffs.

The writing process should begin after you learn your first chord and, it never ends, always try and come up with your own stuff.

If you find yourself coming up with boring, uninspired riffs then you need to step away from the guitar and listen to music that inspires you, then, go back to the guitar and learn that riff that made your jaw drop
Quote by Syndromed
Make covers give you the experience and ideas to help you with your inspiration, it's a good thing, try to do both.
This is it. You will develop your riff writing skills too, but it takes time though
Quote by mrbabo91
You don't have to be good at guitar to write a good riff. Some awful guitarists have stumbled on some great riffs.

The writing process should begin after you learn your first chord and, it never ends, always try and come up with your own stuff.

If you find yourself coming up with boring, uninspired riffs then you need to step away from the guitar and listen to music that inspires you, then, go back to the guitar and learn that riff that made your jaw drop

Approved