I'm looking for an amp in the price range 150-250 Euro and I have so many choices. First I had my eye on the Fender Super Champ XD, then after testing it out I was disappointed with the distortion channels.
Now I'm having a hard time deciding between a Roland Cube 80XL, Fender Frontman 212R, Vox Mini 3, and who knows what other amps are out there I may miss out on.
I have trouble deciding which amp to get. There are so many pros and cons of each amp.

I was actually looking for a cheap tube amp but the cheaper ones usually have crappy tone and it needs to get loud to get good (bedroom player here, so it cant get too loud) and they usually dont have any effects built in. So no more tube amp for me yet.
Well at that price, you aren't looking at getting tube amps, go solid state. Roland Cube 80XL have good overall tones, I've not played a Frontman and I'm not too keen on Vox's SS range, they distortions just suck, but they're not meant for that I guess.
So you are looking to spend like 350 us dollars? The ideal tube amp in this range is the Bugera V22. If you can find an amp with a master volume as with this one you would be fine playing it anywhere. I have a 212r and while it is okay, great cleans, it is a very muddy sounding amp to me. You may want to look at a vyper or crush. Stay away from mg amps and the roland may actually be your best choice for solid state.
Quote by AJScott
Well at that price, you aren't looking at getting tube amps, go solid state. Roland Cube 80XL have good overall tones, I've not played a Frontman and I'm not too keen on Vox's SS range, they distortions just suck, but they're not meant for that I guess.

The Vox Mini 3 is.... a mini amp just like the microcube. But I like the Vox's tone better cause it sounds more warm. Vox amps generally have nice warm crunchy distortion channels, even this little guy.
I have an AC15C1. If you like the vox then just get it. The frontman has very little headroom in the volume, soon as I turn the volume past 2 it is too loud for a small room.
Why don't you consider the AC4TV it is a practice amp? <<<things a beast
The SCXD is a good amp. You need to select a voice that matches the tone you are looking for and the guitar you're using. For example both voice 8 and 9 are British (Marshall). However #9 is very bright so you want to use it with humbuckers and #8 is darker so it's best for single coils.

Also you should dial the gain as low as you can and still get the dirt you want. The distortion gets compressed very quickly as you raise the gain so you lose a lot of dynamics. As always YMMV.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
I have an AC15C1. If you like the vox then just get it. The frontman has very little headroom in the volume, soon as I turn the volume past 2 it is too loud for a small room.
Why don't you consider the AC4TV it is a practice amp? <<<things a beast

I looked that amp up on yt. I don't know, from my impression most mini tube amps are really bare basic as hell. They lack even a simple reverb effect and you can't get a good crunch out of it without buying pedals.

Quote by fly135
The SCXD is a good amp. You need to select a voice that matches the tone you are looking for and the guitar you're using. For example both voice 8 and 9 are British (Marshall). However #9 is very bright so you want to use it with humbuckers and #8 is darker so it's best for single coils.

Also you should dial the gain as low as you can and still get the dirt you want. The distortion gets compressed very quickly as you raise the gain so you lose a lot of dynamics. As always YMMV.

I've tested the amp thoroughly yeah, I've did all I could with it. I liked the 7 and 8 voices best but they still lacked what I was looking for. The overall tones from the distortion channels all had this fuzzy vibe to them. They lacked power and crushing crunch. There are 1 or 2 voices that do infact sound very high gain but those don't have the tone I'm looking for
I'm looking for a more vintage warm high gain sound.
Last edited by 7end3r at Feb 29, 2012,
Anything anyone says here is merely their own opinion. You have to decide what your opinion is.

I recently tried a Vox VT40 which should fit in your price range and quite liked it, however someone else in the thread has already said they don't like Vox.

Only your opinion counts. Go to as many shops as you can, try as many amps as you can and decide which is your favourite. That is the only answer.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
damn now the Blackstar HT-5R is also in question
damn damn damn damn
I may be biased, but I would get the Fender. It gives off great cleans, and a pretty good dirty channel for the price. It's well worth it, in my humble opinion.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Dirty channel on the 212 is far from good. For one to say it is impossible to get a good crunch from the AC4TV.......wow. I would take a mini tube amp over a modeling amp any day. Also the 212 is relatively bare as well with features besides the more mud feature. <see what I did there.
You do have a tough choice to make -- and we're probably not making it much easier.

You actually CAN get a tube amp within your price range that will sound great at bedroom levels (and could even be used for jamming with others). Some have been mentioned. But don't expect much in the way of effects in a tube amp. At best you'll find one with reverb -- but other than that, you don't typically find effects coupled with tubes. I'm a huge fan of the Blackstar HT5.

Lots of solid state options in your price range -- tons actually. You'll also find a bunch of effects included if you go this route. The amps I'm currently in love with here are the Fender Mustang series. They have really pushed the envelope -- I don't know how you could get much more value than what these are offering. Check out the Mustang III in particular to see what these amps can do.

There are hybrid amps (solid state with tube(s) in the preamp). I've owned several VOX amps (their VT or "ValveTronix" series). Again, you can get a wide variety of tones and the hybrids come with tons of effects.

If I were you I think I'd bring my guitar down to whatever store you can -- the bigger the better. If it's a Guitar Center (or the like) they'll have the Fender Mustangs & the VOX VTs and maybe the Blackstar (remember, the tube amp won't sound quite as good as the others at very low volumes -- but will come alive once you can crank it).

Do like they do at the optometrist's office. Start with comparing two amps -- only two. See which one is "better" to you. Then compare it to one other amp & decide which is better to your ears. Then check that one with another, etc.

But definitely bring your guitar -- they'll be totally cool with this.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Mar 1, 2012,