i find myself trying to write more music with soloing, or improv for various other reasons. ive actually had decent amount of experience doing it, but i dont know what guidelines i should be following. im self taught, and the only advice ive had for improv is that you should try phrasing your playing around words or a real phrase, which sounds really basic . ive also heard that youre supposed to build into fast parts, but i hear lots of soloing done in contradicting ways. can somebody with experience help me find a way that I can tell if my improvising meets standards?
There's no rules with improv. If it sounds good to you, do it. Don't let people tell you what you should and shouldn't do. Just play what you want to hear.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by warbeast19
i find myself trying to write more music with soloing, or improv for various other reasons. ive actually had decent amount of experience doing it, but i dont know what guidelines i should be following. im self taught, and the only advice ive had for improv is that you should try phrasing your playing around words or a real phrase, which sounds really basic . ive also heard that youre supposed to build into fast parts, but i hear lots of soloing done in contradicting ways. can somebody with experience help me find a way that I can tell if my improvising meets standards?

There are no rules to improvising. There are no standards that are not self-imposed. Whatever process lets you play the melodies you want to play is the right one and nothing anyone says otherwise has any weight at all.
You might want to try recording yourself from time to time. Things can sound very different while you are playing them! By listening back you can study what you are doing and notice which areas need improvement.
Quote by Geldin
There are no rules to improvising. There are no standards that are not self-imposed. Whatever process lets you play the melodies you want to play is the right one and nothing anyone says otherwise has any weight at all.

QFT except the melody part. I have no bars against wanking for the sake of relieving stress.
Writing a solo and improvising, however, are two very different aspects of music.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards

Writing a solo and improvising, however, are two very different aspects of music.

How so? isn't improvising simply writing and performing at the same time?
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Quote by bastards
QFT except the melody part. I have no bars against wanking for the sake of relieving stress.

In some ways, but improvising is really just writing a solo on the fly. How far ahead you can plan your melodic lines and direction and whatnot is a matter of practice.

That said, **** yeah to straight wank.
I'm just going to put it out there, cause it has really helped my improvising.

Imagine a line. Like a lick or phrase in your head, that sounds very good to you (otherwise it's pretty much useless aye?). Then try to find it on the guitar. That's it really. I have done this alot lately and every time it's a little bit easier. You want to get to that point like those top notch guitarists that can really just get a band to play progression and then you just imagine the thing at the same time as you are playing it.

It takes alot of time and it's hard. But it's very rewarding. Even for me now, and i'm lightyears away from being in that stage.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Avielp
How so? isn't improvising simply writing and performing at the same time?

No, improvising is more like dabbling. Sure, you can play around a melody. Most Jazz teachers will have students improvise on a melody to get an idea on what their dealing with. My idea on improvisation is a straight Jazz technique. I don't really use anything to compose, it's just making magic that sounds good.

Writing a Solo differs because you might have an idea around the melody. There's an idea you want to create and perfect as a solo to further the idea of the melody. This is how I create solos every time. I'll have my usual licks I use in daily routines but then there's a part where improvisation is necessary.

TL;DR, Writing a solo is composing, improvising is a stream of conscious.

The only rules I ever use to improvise is whether or not I'm going to use target notes
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412