Bought 'like new' Schecter Hellraiser 8-string from Musicians Friend supposedly barely used, looks brand new, etc... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-hellraiser-c-8-electric-guitar/430483000127000

But I have an odd problem.

Every so often, the tone and volume with go all wonky for no reason that I can tell. Volume gets halved (or so), tone is very bassy with little treble. When this is happening the volume knob makes a static-y sound when it is turned either way. This noise does not occur when the problem is not happening.

Also, every once in a while for no reason that I can figure out, moving the pickup selector switch will cause a loud 'pop'. This problem is more rare than the above mentioned issue.

I am relatively sure the issue is not with my cord or amp. I have 3 other guitars all of which I play quite often and this problem does not occur with them when coupled with the same line and amp.

Does this point to any particular issue? I made sure the battery was fresh for the pickups, but I don't really know much about the internal wiring of the guitar.

Now normally, I would just return it. But unfortunately, I recently got married and moved to Canada from the US. The guitar was a wedding gift for me and was bought in the US. I'm not sure how to return it from Canada and looking at postage it would run me in the hundreds of dollars. Hopefully if this is cheap to fix I can either do it myself or have a tech look at it. Not sure what to do...
its the wiring breaking down/volume pot overheating. The same thing just happened to my ibanez prestige. I had a shop rewire the whole thing and it plays like a dream now. eventualy that volume pot wont even move. But dont take the internets word for it. Take it to a shop
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Sounds like dodgy grounding mixed with some cheap/worn out switches and pots. Not unheard of with these kinds of guitars. Depending on the extent of the damage it may be as simple as re-soldering one or two contacts to replacing the jack, switch and all pots; you'll need to open 'er up and take a look inside to see just what is obviously buggered. Luckily, even a full electronics overall is not expensive.

Quote by ZeBubba!
its the wiring breaking down/volume pot overheating.
The sod have you been smoking? Just how much heat do you think builds up in a guitar's pot with the <1 volt coming out of the pickups?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Sounds like dodgy grounding mixed with some cheap/worn out switches and pots. Not unheard of with these kinds of guitars. Depending on the extent of the damage it may be as simple as re-soldering one or two contacts to replacing the jack, switch and all pots; you'll need to open 'er up and take a look inside to see just what is obviously buggered. Luckily, even a full electronics overall is not expensive.

Thanks for the info, appreciate you taking the time to specify these things.

Cheap/worn out? I was under the impression that this was a damn near a brand new guitar, and not only that, a fairly quality one. It has really good reviews... ~grumble~ Guess I'm just gonna have to figure out how to open this thing and take a look. My oldest guitar is almost 20 years old and I've never had issues like this before.

Anyway, thanks for the info...
There are lots of guitars with great reviews that still use cheap parts. The fact is, unless your guitar is MIA or MIJ (and even then, not all MIJs) it probably uses metric-spec parts, and these parts tend to be made cheaper than imperial-spec parts. You can get guitars that cost £1,500 that use the same control pots as those found in £250 Epiphones.

As for being new, shops will often say a guitar is 'as new' or words to a similar effect even if the guitar has been sat on their shop shelf for years being abused by every teenage wannabe-shredder that comes in. This may mean there's no significant structural damage, but the electronics can still be shot.

A Schecter C-model is damn nice, but you should always expect problems with any guitar that isn't MIA or MIJ.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.