Hey UGers,

I'm planning on getting an Orange Thunder 30 in about a month along with a Harley Benton G212 Vintage 30 and i just want to know how much worse the harley benton is compared to an orange 1x12 with vintage 30s. It'd be the TH30 combo so nothing super expensive but i get the feeling that the orange cab is also plywood so i want to know why it's so much more expensive considering that it even has one less speaker.

I want to gig with the amp and its only 30 watts so although it should be fine a 2x12 will give it a bit more power and presence (and look way cooler ).

So is there any logical reason to pay extra money for the orange and what should i personally get? (keep in mind that the orange is Made on chine not the UK).
i haven't tried the harley benton or the orange.

word on the street is that the harley benton is incredible value. I'd point out that being ply isn't the only thing (there are different grades of ply, different thicknesses, etc. not to mention the cab dimensions would also have an effect) which affects tone, so you can't just point at the HB and assume it's the exact same as teh orange because it's ply.

that being said, as you correctly point out, the cheaper orange stuff is made in china too (far as i'm aware) so it's not like you're getting the really high-end orange stuff on which its reputation is built, either.

up to you, i guess.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the harley benton or the orange.

word on the street is that the harley benton is incredible value. I'd point out that being ply isn't the only thing (there are different grades of ply, different thicknesses, etc. not to mention the cab dimensions would also have an effect) which affects tone, so you can't just point at the HB and assume it's the exact same as teh orange because it's ply.

that being said, as you correctly point out, the cheaper orange stuff is made in china too (far as i'm aware) so it's not like you're getting the really high-end orange stuff on which its reputation is built, either.

up to you, i guess.

Awesome. I'll be getting the Harley Benton then. The Orange may be slightly better but its not worth that much money when compared to a a 2x12 with the same speaker, made in the same place, with the same materials i guess. I may get some higher end cabs in the future though.

But first ill be getting a tele, strat another les paul standard and Marshall JCM800 and some BKP Pups so it'll have to wait a few years i guess .
I'm just gonna say that a decent 2x12 will usually be better than a really good 1x12, provided the same model speaker(s) is used.

Now don't get me wrong - I like my 1x12" cabs just fine. But I like my 2x12" better. And every other (good) 2x12" I've ever played.
I have the Harley Benton G212 Vintage and it is great. I play with someone that has an orange 2x12 cab and I still think the harley benton is rather good. I cannot really compare them tone-wise since we've only used our own heads though. The build quality of the Harley Benton isn't so bad either. I'd say go for the Harley Benton simply because you get more for your money at the end of the day.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Quote by TheQuailman
I'm just gonna say that a decent 2x12 will usually be better than a really good 1x12, provided the same model speaker(s) is used.

Now don't get me wrong - I like my 1x12" cabs just fine. But I like my 2x12" better. And every other (good) 2x12" I've ever played.

yeah that's sorta what i was thinking- unless the HB is terrible and the orange amazing (which is unlikely in both instances) odds are teh HB will sound better by dint of the fact it's a 2x12 while the orange is 1x12.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I haven't had the chance to compare my HB to an orange cab although what I can say is that the HB is insanely good for the amount you pay.

It's easily the best budget cab out there by a mile IMO
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal