Hi everyone.

I have been playing for 4 years and have a squier strat with with a frontman 15gb amp. (they came as a package.) I play alot of different genres, things like the beatles, aerosimth, ACDC, guns n roses, BB King, and a bit of slide guitar. I don't play anything harder than mettalica. My price range for the guitar- no more than $600. Amp- not much more than $200.
Are there any brands for them that I should stay away from or lean towards? Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Here is my guitar I have now- http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/3638/Guitars/Guitar_Packages/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Affinity_Special_FM15G_Pack_Metallic_Red.htm
As I'm sure a lot of people will tell you, the amp is the most important thing for tone. So I might think about switching the budgets, if I were you, especially if you're looking to keep the amp for a long time. Stay away from MG series Marshalls, and Line 6 Spiders, and maybe even exchange your guitar budget for some different pickups in the same guitar, and then the rest on the amp.
Quote by TenInchClock
As I'm sure a lot of people will tell you, the amp is the most important thing for tone. So I might think about switching the budgets, if I were you, especially if you're looking to keep the amp for a long time. Stay away from MG series Marshalls, and Line 6 Spiders, and maybe even exchange your guitar budget for some different pickups in the same guitar, and then the rest on the amp.

I agree to a point with this 'the amp is more important', yes, it does generate more of your sound and will make a more dramatic difference to your tone. However, personally, unless I was gigging, I'd rather play a really nice, quality instrument through a MG15 than a cheapo Squire through a Dumble. Just my take on things.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I'd look at some Fender made in Mexico strats. They are $500 new and can often be found used for ~$300-350. They are pretty nice guitars. As for the amp, I'd say a Jet City JCA2112RC or a Fender Blues Jr. (if you save up a lil) would be your best bet. An OD pedal would probably be necessary to boost either of those to Metallica tones. You also might want to look at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's hybrid, with a tube power amp, and it's very versatile.

An Epiphone Les Paul might also be good, they go for like $400-600 new depending on the model.
Last edited by billtsas at Feb 29, 2012,
Fender Mustang i or ii will sound decent
GuitarMoose.com StickyGrip Guitar Picks
Elixir Phosphor Bronze Guitar Strings
Takamine EG523SCB
Michael Kelly Spalted Maple
Blueridge BG 160
Bedell MB 28 G
Bedell TBCE 28 G
Quote by billtsas
I'd look at some Fender made in Mexico strats. They are $500 new and can often be found used for ~$300-350. They are pretty nice guitars. As for the amp, I'd say a Jet City JCA2112RC or a Fender Blues Jr. (if you save up a lil) would be your best bet. An OD pedal would probably be necessary to boost either of those to Metallica tones. You also might want to look at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's hybrid, with a tube power amp, and it's very versatile.

An Epiphone Les Paul might also be good, they go for like $400-600 new depending on the model.

Are there any models that you would Recommend?

I don't know much about tube amps. How are they different than regular amps?
As far as Les Pauls go, there's the Standard Plain Top for $400, the Standard Plus Top for $500, and the Custom for $600. There are many more models, but I'd say those are the main three.

Check out these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/solid-body-electric-guitars/epiphone

About amps, I'd say that tube is what is considered regular. They use vacuum tubes to amplify the signal from your guitar. As they do this, they can also produce distortion depending on how hard they are driven. As far as sound , they are generally considered to sound "warmer" and more dynamic, as opposed to the more compressed tone from a solid state amp. Tube tone is considered far superior, especially due to the fact that tube amps sound better as you crank them higher, whereas solid state amps generally turn into a muddy mess at high volumes.

I hope that helps, although I'm by no means an expert on the subject.
How many watts should I have in an amp?

I play at home, and might do some smaller gigs in the next few years.
15w tube amp is perfect for home and small gigs. I have the Blues Jr, which is a 15w tube, and I love everything about it. It's the perfect size, the perfect weight, and the perfect tone !
you should switch the budget for each one. a good amp will make even cheap guitars sound good.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ No, but you can do it if you wish.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by George Juggles
Would a hollow body or semi hollow body guitar be good for the genres that I play?

Yeah they could. I use a stock Thinline Telecaster and I play in a metalcore/modern punk band. That stuff is much heavier than what you're playing and it works fine for me. Actually, for what you want I'd recommend some kind of Squier Classic Vibe Guitar and a used Peavey tube amp (Vypr 60, Classic 30, Windsor, Delta Blues, 6505+, etc.). I use a Classic Vibe Thinline and a Peavey Classic 30, together they cost me about $700.
If you go used, you could get a Marshall DSL401 combo and an Epi LP Standard with that budget. I suggest you look into it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What about the epiphone wildkat?

I have never played with a bigsby system. How is it different than others?
Last edited by George Juggles at Mar 20, 2012,
tbh, your probably best off with a HSS guitar, or maybe a HSH. You might want to edge your budget closer to $400 each for amp and guitar or get a nice amp now and a guitar later, since the squier probably isn't as bad as an amp upgrade could help.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB