I am pretty certain I shall be ordering this guitar on Sunday, however I thought I'd better post it here first as I've already been saved from getting a JEM 555 :')

I think Satchel from Steel Panther uses one of these, and they appear to be of excellent so quality, and are made by Gibson,

So, any major reasons not to go for it?
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Satchel uses a vintage one, not the model Vintage. But these guitars are excellent.

Haha, right :') But yeah, they seem like quality instruments
Petra - Beyond Belief.
i haven't tried them, but my only concern is that you can get a charvel pro mod, which has more or less the same spec, except made in japan, for very little more.

knowing what i know about the japanese instruments i'd tried i'd be taking an MIJ over an MIK pretty much every day of the week. Add that to the fact that i'm not that fond of my MIK musicyo-era kramer, and...

granted these ones are probably better, but...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they are owned by Gibson, not made by Gibson.

I have not been impressed by any of the new Kramers I have seen/played. Now if it was a pre-84 model, we'll talk.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Who cares if it is MIK. I got my SM-1 and it's comparable to anything MIJ I have played. Hell, it even feels better than an 80's USA Stagemaster. Don't listen to these bandwagon asshats that shun a guitar based solely off where it's made. These reissues are spot on.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Who cares if it is MIK. I got my SM-1 and it's comparable to anything MIJ I have played. Hell, it even feels better than an 80's USA Stagemaster. Don't listen to these bandwagon asshats that shun a guitar based solely off where it's made. These reissues are spot on.
Which is fair enough, but your SM-1 is pretty much the top of the current Kramer line.

From the (admittedly very little) experience I have with the current Kramers, they're good for the money and have some interesting and fairly unique specs (I have my eye on the Assault 220 Plus myself - not often you see a maple fretboard, 25.5" scale LP), but if you're going for such a basic model as the Pacer then you might as well look at other brands. The current Pacer is as generic a super-Strat as you can get, other than the bridge is non-recessed which is somewhat unusual (but also still done by Charvel and a couple of Fenders, as has been pointed out).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Which is fair enough, but your SM-1 is pretty much the top of the current Kramer line.

From the (admittedly very little) experience I have with the current Kramers, they're good for the money and have some interesting and fairly unique specs (I have my eye on the Assault 220 Plus myself - not often you see a maple fretboard, 25.5" scale LP), but if you're going for such a basic model as the Pacer then you might as well look at other brands. The current Pacer is as generic a super-Strat as you can get, other than the bridge is non-recessed which is somewhat unusual (but also still done by Charvel and a couple of Fenders, as has been pointed out).

I do agree with your point on the Pacer's being the bottom of the barrel, but there is a huge difference between the Pacer Classic and Pacer Vintage. If I recall correctly, the Vintage Pacer is made to the same QC standards as the reissue Stagemaster, hence the $800 price tag.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
For (800?) please go buy an old 80's American Kramer or focus (both were really mij parts anyway) you really will be getting an excellent quality guitar then (most of them are, at least)

You will probably be happier with that in the long run.
Quote by MrFlibble

the original Pacers had a non recessed Floyd. the recessed thing didn't come about until later in the 80s.

i've played a couple of the new Kramers and thought they were OK. compared to the original 80s ones (i had a couple back in the day) they aren't as good. as mentioned for the money i'd rather get a Charvel.
Quote by steven seagull

Because I'm not a fan of the way the RG series looks. And I wish I hadn't posted this now :/ So many mixed responses... I found a great deal on it, like £580 The other option is a Gibson Flying V?
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by MrFlibble

From the (admittedly very little) experience I have with the current Kramers, they're good for the money and have some interesting and fairly unique specs, but if you're going for such a basic model as the Pacer then you might as well look at other brands. The current Pacer is as generic a super-Strat as you can get, other than the bridge is non-recessed which is somewhat unusual (but also still done by Charvel and a couple of Fenders, as has been pointed out).

that's sorta what i meant

fwiw i really liked the old musicyo sambora sig model. so maybe i am being unfair, i dunno.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo
the original Pacers had a non recessed Floyd. the recessed thing didn't come about until later in the 80s.
That's not what I was getting at.

Quote by Dave_Mc
that's sorta what i meant

fwiw i really liked the old musicyo sambora sig model. so maybe i am being unfair, i dunno.

Damn right the Sambora's great Though that is some weird MIJ & MIA hybrid. I'm struggling to keep up with where the current Kramers are made, there seem to be some from Korea, some from Indonesia, a couple from China, one from India and apparently still the odd MIJ one floating around.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah the older musicyo ones were all over the place, too. Apparently the 1985 baretta reissue was completely made in the USA, as was the pacer reissue, but the sambora and 1984/van halen ones were only assembled in the USA (made in korea? japan? i always thought korea, but i could easily be wrong).

Definitely was a nice guitar, though.

i guess... just based on my experience with other guitars (and i admit i'm extrapolating here, perhaps too much) i'd generally take an MIJ over an MIK, everything else being equal. It's just the safer choice, frankly. That's not to say some MIKs aren't nice, or that you can never get a lemon from japan, but yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Any7423
Because I'm not a fan of the way the RG series looks. And I wish I hadn't posted this now :/ So many mixed responses... I found a great deal on it, like £580 The other option is a Gibson Flying V?

Flying Vs are great guitars, certainly better than the Kramer you considered.

But if you want a good guitar which is pretty much like the Kramer, get a Charvel Pro Mod.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Flying Vs are great guitars, certainly better than the Kramer you considered.

But if you want a good guitar which is pretty much like the Kramer, get a Charvel Pro Mod.

I second this (biased opinion, i will admit), but Kramers are really cool guitars. I wouldn't be unhappy at all if i got a decent one.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Ok here we go. First of all Satchel does not use vintage 80's Kramer. I'm sure he's got a few, but his tiger stripe is a made by Gibson Kramer, although his was MIA along with a very small batch (about 10) that were made a couple years ago. Pictures posted on Kramer Forum.

Also, pre '84 Kramers? Hit and miss, some amazing guitars and some duds. The quality rose after about '85 when ESP became their exclusive manufacturer. Before that it was some parts here, some parts there including the dreaded luthier neck joint that fell apart. Most consistant Kramer era is about '87-'89 but the early B series '83-'84 beak necks are freaking amazing.

The new Kramer's are nice, but if you do your research and know what you're buying then a vintage one for the same price might be a better option. I've fiddle on the new production Charvels and it did nothing for me, for the same price (around $1000) you can get a used Music Man Axis and get the exact neck shape Ed had on his Kramer 5150 and its one hell of a guitar.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by cdr_salamander

So true man it dosent matter what they think it matters what you think
get the guitar the suits you
I own both Gibson MIK Kramer's and REAL Kramer's. To even compare the epiphone MIK factory to the ESP factory in quality is insane. My Gibson made Kramer was so effed up quality wise and a crap set up I sent it back to the factory. The paint job alone was so amateurish it was pitiful. To me the new line of Kramer's are your typical MIK guitars. If you mail order it cross your fingers and hope you get something nice. It would be better to actually play and inspect the guitar yourself. I for one can't get over the huge price tag for MIK Russian roulette.

For $800 I'll stick with ESP made Kramer's and buy 2 of them.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt