Okay, I recently bought a Conrad LP style guitar, dated to around the 70's. There's a lot 'bad' with it. But it's certainly still playable. I want to find a repair shop that's not going to cheat me, do a crappy job, and also be affordable. Not cost a second mortgage to buy. It needs to be sanded down then repainted, but I want it all to be the same as it is now... stock standard. There's a couple area's on it where it will probably have to be bored out then filled in, but that's not really a worry, as they're no bigger than the diameter of a straw. Anyone want to help? I'm in Paris, Texas. Smallest most pathetic city I think, in all of America. However as I am willing to wait to have this done, as I am NOT getting rid of this guitar, I can travel, as far as about OKC. I tried googling this, but all that returned was 'repair shops' that don't do restoration/refurbishing. Anyone know a good place?
Quote by NexAtrum
Okay, I recently bought a Conrad LP style guitar, dated to around the 70's. There's a lot 'bad' with it. But it's certainly still playable. I want to find a repair shop that's not going to cheat me, do a crappy job, and also be affordable. Not cost a second mortgage to buy. It needs to be sanded down then repainted, but I want it all to be the same as it is now... stock standard. There's a couple area's on it where it will probably have to be bored out then filled in, but that's not really a worry, as they're no bigger than the diameter of a straw. Anyone want to help? I'm in Paris, Texas. Smallest most pathetic city I think, in all of America. However as I am willing to wait to have this done, as I am NOT getting rid of this guitar, I can travel, as far as about OKC. I tried googling this, but all that returned was 'repair shops' that don't do restoration/refurbishing. Anyone know a good place?

Not really a helpful answer, but why do you want the cosmetic stuff done? It's character in my book.

Anyway, have you considered making a project of it? Restoration work is always pretty pricey if you have a shop do it.
Quote by Strats&Cats
Not really a helpful answer, but why do you want the cosmetic stuff done? It's character in my book.

Anyway, have you considered making a project of it? Restoration work is always pretty pricey if you have a shop do it.

It's not really about wiping the 'history' or 'story' off of the guitar. I plan to take pictures of it and frame them as a memorial, this is the first 'real' guitar I've bought, so sentimental aspects will be quite large with it. Most of it is about it not breaking. There are several worry spots on it. One to note at the head of the guitar right where the fret board ends, there's a HUGE crack... I don't want it to split, that will ruin it, and cost even more to repair. I would do all this myself if I had the know-how. Since I do not, I do not want to cause further damage to it. It's not really about 'aesthetic' values... I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want it to where it will last me many more years, and in the state it's presently in... it doesn't have many more left.
Really just need to upgrade some of the hardware on it. Like the tuning nuts and bridge/tailpiece. They're rusted and corroded, looks like someone left it in the garage just sitting out in the open for a few years. Pups are a bit corroded and rusted too. The post heads. Don't think I'm going to worry about them though.
man up, you'll spend several hundred dollars to have anyone worth a crap refinnish it. your best bet is to take it to a auto pait shop and have them shoot it if thats what you want.

If it has serious body damage, your best bet may be to snap the head stock off and reset it . I honestly know of no other way to properly fix a half broke headstock.

you really need to figure out if you want this done, or if you can live with it. Although I can't see it, I 'm guessing that you really dont want to put that much $$ into it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 29, 2012,
Here in D/FW, you could try contacting Murphy's music or Charlie's Guitar. Both good places- if they won't do it, they'll know who will.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 29, 2012,
Honestly? I'd never get a vintage MIJ refinished. Just a waste of money. The refinish will probably cost twice as much as the guitar did. Just set it up, tune it up, maybe replace the electrics and rock out on it.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.