So I recently took my amp (Laney AOR 100) to the guitarcenter I bought it from, because it's still under warranty. The man there told me the most likely culprit for my problem was the preamp tubes as they are 25+ years old. Currently it has 4 12ax7's and 1 12at7. According to eurotubes, JJ's are supposedly fantastic or something so I figured I'd go with them.

Now, I have several questions about what exactly to get. From what I understand on the eurotubes site, the ecc803 is the same as the 12ax7 while the ecc81 would fill in for the 12at7 correct?

Also, I'm not sure if I should get the gold pin versions or not. While I like how my amp sounds now, the "smoother" sound eurotubes claims the gold pins will give me sounds appealing as well. So how much difference is it going to make? If it's not much then it's hardly worth the money, but too much and I'm afraid my amp wouldn't sound like my amp anymore.

And finally, where would be a good place to buy from? Because I'm not actually in europe so EUROtubes I would assume isn't for me.
Quote by hallowedshred
So I recently took my amp (Laney AOR 100) to the guitarcenter I bought it from, because it's still under warranty. The man there told me the most likely culprit for my problem was the preamp tubes as they are 25+ years old.

...what?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Eurotubes is in the US afaik. They call themselves that because the tubes are made in Europe.

A ECC803 is a low noise variant of the 12AX7. It has a tiny bit less gain than an ECC83S but it will work as a direct replacement, yes. Both are fine tubes that will sound great in your amp.
An ECC81 is the international standards designation for a 12AT7.
I would certainly go for JJ in an AOR.
The gold pinned ones probably have a bit better quality control but internally they are the same tube. Personally I think it's just snake oil.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JagerSlushy
...what?

...What, what?

And thank you Cath, that seems to wrap up all of my problems nicely!
Eurotubes is based in Oregon, i believe. At least that's where they ship from.

I have gold pin JJs in my Mesa Stiletto. They do sound good, but I don't know that they sound different enough from a normal JJ to justify the price increase. I agree with Cath, they're probably just marketing.

EDIT: Guess I was slow on the draw!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Feb 29, 2012,