Poll: What is the cause of the intonation problem on my guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the cause of the intonation problem on my guitar?
Natural for a tune-o-matic bridge. Survive it.
3 18%
Possibly the strings are to blame. (Brand OR Age of string.)
11 65%
The bridge does, unfortunately, need replacement.
2 12%
Other (Please specify!)
1 6%
Voters: 17.
Hey guys,

One of those shred metal stuff days again. Then suddenly, when I tried tuning my guitar, I noticed that my 6th string (low E)'s intonation was flat. I tried lowering the action to the max and pulled the string saddle back to the very most, and the guitar intonation is still off on my Jesse (name for my Fender Jaguar HH)!
A few key notes:
Every hardware on the guitar is stock-made (pickups, vintage tuners, etc.)
I've been using the guitar strings for over 2 months now.
I use Fender Super Bullet 10-46's for now (which I will switch later after I use up my last pack.)

Is this something to do with my bridge? Please help! If it comes to major maintenance, I want to keep my budget to a bare minimum!

Please help,
parhelia_0000
Either the strings, or the nut probably.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Wisthekiller
Jaguars don't have TOM bridges so not that.

Actually most Jaguars do.

If it just started doing this then you might just need new strings.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Feb 29, 2012,
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Either the strings, or the nut probably.

If it's the nut, then what may be the problem? Please explain.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Jaguars don't have TOM bridges so not that.

String age maybe, but maybe not.

Bridge shouldn't need replacement.

Try going to Guitar Center or your country's equivalent and getting a set up.

I can get a set-up done myself, so that's fine. My guitar actually has a tune-o-matic-style bridge, although it's not the Gibson original.
To my knowledge they do NOT have tune-o-matic bridges. However, the bridges they do come with are very very similar to tune-o-matic bridges. They aren't the same but they behave very much the same.
Perhaps the tuner's ear is going bad.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by poppameth
To my knowledge they do NOT have tune-o-matic bridges. However, the bridges they do come with are very very similar to tune-o-matic bridges. They aren't the same but they behave very much the same.

Well basically the same same thing
Thanks guys. Another question. Do pickups have to do anything with the intonation itself? If so, would it be a good idea to swap it out with something better?
Based on the information I've acquired from you guys, I should wait a few more days and see what happens with my guitar. By the way, am I worry about intonation too much? Or is it a big deal when it comes to tuning before playing every single time?
Quote by IbanezBossShred
Strings are two months old....I'd swap them out in a heartbeat, just to try the most obvious culprit and also the easiest and cheapest fix.

I'd rather try waiting until my strings break, then I'll see if things go wrong there.
Quote by parhelia_0000
Hey guys,

One of those shred metal stuff days again. Then suddenly, when I tried tuning my guitar, I noticed that my 6th string (low E)'s intonation was flat. I tried lowering the action to the max and pulled the string saddle back to the very most,
Please help,
parhelia_0000

How did you check your Intonation?

If the strings Intonation is Flat to begin with, you should have moved the bridge saddle closer to the neck, to shorten the length of the string. You said "pulled the string saddle back to the very most"

I'd either get it set up correctly by reading or watching a tutorial on Youtube OR HERE, or taking it to a tech before I'd start replaceing hardware...

Hope this helps..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by Papabear505

If the strings Intonation is Flat to begin with, you should have moved the bridge saddle closer to the neck, to shorten the length of the string. You said "pulled the string saddle back to the very most"

I'd either get it set up correctly by reading or watching a tutorial on Youtube OR HERE, or taking it to a tech before I'd start replaceing hardware...

Hope this helps..

^^^ This.
Quote by Papabear505

Hope this helps..

I use a tuner to check the 12th fret for intonation stuff. I'll try that, and if it doesn't work I'll get back to you. Thanks for the tip by the way!
Quote by Papabear505

Hope this helps..

Thanks very much! Your tips finally fixed my guitar's intonation!
Operator error!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.