So:

I have a newb Squierstrat + a line 6 spider IV 15w at home.
Since as you all know the amp has a decent array of effects for a new player like me. But, I figured I should supplement it with a wah pedal since it fits what I "play" (ACDC, GnR, LP, Evanescence, Metallica, + a bunch of old bands from the 70s) and it adds a very appealing sound fx(imo) to some of the solos.

So i bought a used behringer hellbabe hb01 (wah), and I followed instructions, guitar right side, left side to the amp. After finishing the connections, the volume of my amp went down drastically.
Picture this: With the amp settings on metal, gain@max, volume@max, the most sound I can get is a "hard rockish" distortion, or a "crunch" with some wah, not the metal distortion the amp is supposed to crank out. If i put my amp on clean or the crunch setting I can't hear a dam thing, or its very faint.

What am I doing wrong? I've fiddled with all the controls on the pedal to try to get some more volume out but no clear results, wah and guitar is only audible (hardly) when I put my amp on the highest gain settings.

Is this an amp problem or a pedal problem?

edit: Yes It had a battery, I plugged the pedal to a 9v AC 1000mA power supply thinking the battery was dead.
Last edited by silentskills at Feb 29, 2012,
If the amp is a loud volume if you plug your guitar directly into the amp, it obviously has something to do with the pedal. Check for a gain/output knob and if that doesnt help, it means there is something internally wrong with the wah. Loose connection somewhere maybe?
Quote by daneboyzzz
If the amp is a loud volume if you plug your guitar directly into the amp, it obviously has something to do with the pedal. Check for a gain/output knob and if that doesnt help, it means there is something internally wrong with the wah. Loose connection somewhere maybe?

This.

If you plug straight into the amp and the volume is fine, you have something going on with your pedal. If there's no output control on the wah, I'd bet that the pedal is bad. Behringer isn't exactly known for having the best quality.

EDIT: Do you always play with the gain maxed, or is it just because of the pedal cutting your signal?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Mar 1, 2012,
Does the pedal need a new battery?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by jpatan
This.

If you plug straight into the amp and the volume is fine, you have something going on with your pedal. If there's no output control on the wah, I'd bet that the pedal is bad. Behringer isn't exactly known for having the best quality.

EDIT: Do you always play with the gain maxed, or is it just because of the pedal cutting your signal?

Nope I jam on clean. Most of the attempts at doing covers I do are using the crunch and metal channels. I hardly ever use the super high gain one.

The amp works perfectly fine.

Battery was new.
There is a "boost" button on the side that well.. boosts the sound once you tab it, and there is also another "boost" knob that controls the loudness of what goes through I suppose. I've twiddled with all the volume related things.

Update: I managed to get it working, kinda. I think I did not plug it to the right output, because it works semi decent on the out/bypass jack vs the plain "out" jack. I'm very new at how these things works so i figured I should've just used "out".

Now the current problem is about the extreme noise and such that comes out of my amp when I have crunch and metal channels on. However, it sounds decent on clean.
I do realize that my gear is subpar but damn, this stuff cranks out some serious noise
As others said behringer isn't known for quality, especially in the $30 range. I ordered 3 pedals from that line, a reverb, delay and blues overdrive. 2/3 pedals were DOA. The reverb kicked off about a month later. I did have the vintage phaser though, and while it was cheap it was a great pedal for what I used it for.

My point is, it's cheap gear, don't expect to sound like Slash with that set up. Not bashing your set up cuz I've been there, but just saying.