Are there any tricks/tips you guys have for reducing string noise when playing tapping licks across multiple strings? Also my dynamic levels are always off; the wrong notes are emphasized. I need everything to sound nice and even but it never does, and notes generally ring out. It's quite frustrating.

I'm going for sound similiar to Guthrie Govan. The riff I'm thinking of was inspired by his music but of course it's no where near as good.
how long have you been tapping?
the string noise should go away as you practice. as for dynamics are you noticing which notes are not emphasized correctly (hammer-on/pull-off)? because it's hard to give you tips to chnage the dynamics if we don't know which part your having trouble with.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
how long have you been tapping?
the string noise should go away as you practice. as for dynamics are you noticing which notes are not emphasized correctly (hammer-on/pull-off)? because it's hard to give you tips to chnage the dynamics if we don't know which part your having trouble with.

Typically whichever note is being tapped with my right index finger ends up being played the loudest. For the lick in question I'm using two fingers on my right hand, anchoring with my left index, and trilling with my left middle finger. The note being played with my left middle finger is the softest. I would prefer they all sound relatively equal. Here's a rough tab:

---9t12--------------------
----------9t10-------9t10
-----------------9t11------

Repeat and move around the neck as needed. The 11 is the loud note I mentioned.

Obviously pretty simple, but if I can't play this properly I'll never be able to play anything else, and certainly I'll never be able to properly emulate Guthrie Govan
Last edited by Shotgunmerc at Mar 1, 2012,
try pulling off at a slight angle so your tapping finger moves like this / instead of this |, that way you are essentially picking the string again.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
How hard are the callouses on your tapping hand? My tapping was always way too quiet , even when I was hammering down as hard as I could, but after about 3 weeks or so my callouses got much tougher and now it requires a lot less effort making the note sound. Growing your nails can help too to really get that nice pull off sound.