Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to match the tone of this recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKA9sFZ7DXg
I already have the distortion down (I have a Boss DS-2 pedal). Although I am having trouble matching the clean tone with my Kustom 12 Gauge amp. I feel like its time for a new amp anyways. So I'm looking for something around the $500 USD range.
Here's something I had in mind - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Mesa-Boogie-Studio-22-1X12-Combo-/260967596821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc2e18315#ht_500wt_1413

So will this Mega Boogie Studio .22 be able to cut it? or should I go with something else? And may I add that this amp will be mainly used in the house until I can find band mates.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by whitboyfunksuks at Feb 29, 2012,
To me the clean tone sounds like a Dirty Tone with the Volume rolled down until its cleaned up, because when it gets Fuzzy it still has the same characteristic as the clean tone just nastier.

The dirty tone to me sounds like a Fuzz to my ears, Fuzz Face Style.

Love some Bleach sounding Nirvana!
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Feb 29, 2012,
can't listen to it because i am at work but i am guessing it sounds like the version on from the muddy banks of the wishkah. The clean tone is is some sort of tube amp turned up super loud. highly doubt kurt turned his guitar volume knob down, he just had the amp set for that to be his clean and kicked on the DS1/2 whenever he needed it.

i know nothing of the amp you posted but according to google he used to use the rack version of it live. basically any slightly breaking up amp should get you close enough i would think.

Also since when is spank thru on bleach?
That amp should be good for the clean.

Good call getting the DS-2, I want to get one of those at some point soon as well.
Quote by joe_k
Also since when is spank thru on bleach?

There's a live version of it on the Deluxe edition.
Quote by joe_k
can't listen to it because i am at work but i am guessing it sounds like the version on from the muddy banks of the wishkah.

actually it sounds very different, to me at least. The two versions were in different "eras"
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
To me the clean tone sounds like a Dirty Tone with the Volume rolled down until its cleaned up, because when it gets Fuzzy it still has the same characteristic as the clean tone just nastier.

The dirty tone to me sounds like a Fuzz to my ears, Fuzz Face Style.

Love some Bleach sounding Nirvana!

Hmmm that may be the case, however I feel as if he just turn the volume up to the point where it's breaking up:P
On the cd I allways thought it sounded like he was using a jcm 800 for cleans. I also remember reading somewhere that he used a Peavy in the studio. Best way really is to go down to your biggest retailer and try every amp they have on the floor =)
Quote by whitboyfunksuks
Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to match the tone of this recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKA9sFZ7DXg
I already have the distortion down (I have a Boss DS-2 pedal). Although I am having trouble matching the clean tone with my Kustom 12 Gauge amp. I feel like its time for a new amp anyways. So I'm looking for something around the $500 USD range.
Here's something I had in mind - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Mesa-Boogie-Studio-22-1X12-Combo-/260967596821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc2e18315#ht_500wt_1413

So will this Mega Boogie Studio .22 be able to cut it? or should I go with something else? And may I add that this amp will be mainly used in the house until I can find band mates.

Thanks in advance!

That recording is probably a solid state Randall head. You could approximate it with most amps I guess. Need a tiny bit of hair on the clean and lots of mids. I don't know if that Mesa will sound anything like the Studio Preamp that Kurt used. Maybe get a a used 1980s Twin Reverb (Kurt loved them).
The new Twin Reverb amps have speakers that hate dirt pedals. Kurt used a 1982 135 watt ultralinear Twin Reverb to record In Utero that probably had different speakers.

I would suggest a really good pedal platform amp with a descent clean. That clean sound can really be approximated through most amps. What is important is the amps ability to take dirt pedals. My Twin Reverb Reissue hated my DS-1. What is your budget?
Man, if you'd have talked to me about this 6 or 7 years ago, I know his gear, inside and out, for all the albums...
IIRC: he used a DS-1 for the bleach era mated up to a Mesa Boogie .22 preamp into some wierd poweramp and then used Marshal 4x12s. That's, at least, what he ran at the shows in that era. I don't recall how much of that translated into the recording sessions for Bleach.
IIRC, he didn't get that small clone or DS-2 that he used until he recorded Nevermind.
IIRC, he was using mostly strats with replacement humbuckers and other odd guitars for the bleach era, namely the moserites.

But, it turns out, I was close, but not on the money:
http://www.kurtsequipment.com/recordingpage.htm
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 1, 2012,