Hi, I just got my strat (used) CIJ ST57tx and amp (new) Roland cube 20xl.

The problem is everytime i hit a note, i heard some 'clack' 'clack' sound through my amp.
I tried to lowered my pickup, decrease treble, or change with thicker/thinner pick, picking on different angle, picking very slow and gently but it's still the same.

Here's the soundclip: http://soundcloud.com/slianto/guitar-or-amp-noise

The problem is in my guitar, amp or picking ??

thanks!
Last edited by slianto at Feb 29, 2012,
what pick ups do you get this from?

does it happen at the 2&4 positions as well?

you can try a different pick, but i don't think that would do it.

there may be a technique aspect to it. if you pick so the side of the pick is scraping the string not making normal contact, scraping noises could be a reason.

i am thinking pickups or pickup height.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
well it does happens on all pickup position,i've tried to lowered the pickup as well but still the same.

Tried with thin pick or medium pick still persist, tried to picking pararel with strings, and different angle, but that sound still there even when i picking with my finger it's still there.

That sound is even louder when i increase the volume and more noticeable on higher frets and with high gain/distorsion, even with medium gain/distortion still do it.

According to the previous owner, he said it was texas special.

Is it possible the problem is in the amp?
Last edited by slianto at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by slianto
well it does happens on all pickup position,i've tried to lowered the pickup as well but still the same.

Tried with thin pick or medium pick still persist, tried to picking pararel with strings, and different angle, but that sound still there even when i picking with my finger it still there.

That sound is even louder when i increase the volume and more noticeable on higher frets and with high gain/distorsion, even with medium gain/distortion still do it.

According to the previous owner, he said it was texas special.

Is it possible the problem is in the amp?

how far away from the amp are you when this occurs? may not mean anything but it is another variable.

i doubt the amp has a problem. pull a little of the treble and presence and see if that does anything.

is the amp an open back or closed back?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
that was around 2feet, and i've once tried to move further (around 6feet) think it maybe feedback and stuff, but it's still occurred.

i tried to decrease the treble on the amp, and the guitar as well, (also decrease the volume on guitar)
but it still there just different kind of sounds like 'that sound' become more dull.
just still the same sound with less treble.

the amp is closed back with a little hole in the middle.
here's the detail of the amp:
i am sorry, i am out of ideas. hopefully somebody else will charm in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
LOL. thanks man, no problem.

Basically 'that sound' is changing too when i try to shape my tone , gain, distortion, treble, volume, etc. but it's still following, just in different shape and volume same as my tone's changed too, depends on the setting, and it's following the setting.

Let's hear anyone else thought
Quote by slianto
LOL. thanks man, no problem.

Basically 'that sound' is changing too when i try to shape my tone , gain, distortion, treble, volume, etc. but it's still following, just in different shape and volume same as my tone's changing too, depends on the setting.

Let's hear anyone else thought

do you have any florescent lighting? is it near a mircrowave? have you tried multiple cables, running straight in (as you likely are), have you tried different outlets? try one in a different area to make sure you try on more than one circuit, i know some circuits in some houses are different even in the same house. maybe try it at a friends house? does it do it clean as well as dirty?

i have listened to that clip well over ten times.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do you have any florescent lighting? is it near a mircrowave? have you tried multiple cables, running straight in (as you likely are), have you tried different outlets? try one in a different area to make sure you try on more than one circuit, i know some circuits in some houses are different even in the same house. maybe try it at a friends house? does it do it clean as well as dirty?

i have listened to that clip well over ten times.

yes i have a florescent lighting at the room but it's off now. and there's no microwave at my room. I've tried to facing at another direction also but it's still the same.
But i haven't try it at another outlet yet.

Will do that, and will try the amp with my friend's guitar, or try my guitar at another amp.
this is the most important things to narrow it down. the guitar or amp.
But the i'll be able to doing that on the Monday or next Saturday, so yeah i'll just keep patience for now, as playing with sound like that is really ruin my mood.

anyway thanks a lot man for paying attention to this silly problem,
but it's really really driving me crazy LOL
Quote by slianto
yes i have a florescent lighting at the room but it's off now. and there's no microwave at my room. I've tried to facing at another direction also but it's still the same.
But i haven't try it at another outlet yet.

Will do that, and will try the amp with my friend's guitar, or try my guitar at another amp.
this is the most important things to narrow it down. the guitar or amp.
But the i'll be able to doing that on the Monday or next Saturday, so yeah i'll just keep patience for now, as playing with sound like that is really ruin my mood.

anyway thanks a lot man for paying attention to this silly problem,
but it's really really driving me crazy LOL

no problem, thats a big why i post, the other bit is to learn, which is never a bad thing. i hope it works properly. may want to call Roland too, i don't know but maybe there was a recall or something. its a long shot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yeah actually roland cube is the best bang for the buck at my small city..
also with the onboard effect, it's more than enough for practice at my room.

and now i'm wondering about the pickup is being microphonic, yes microphonic pickup.
when this used guitar arrived, i still haven't got an amp, so i just try to clean it up.
when i open the pickup i found dirty wax, so i try to clean it up..no much, especially just the excess wax on the pole pieces..of course i didn't know what i was doing until i read at guitarnuts about potting the pickup with wax. oh my bad...
u know what ive noticed this on my dk2m through both of my amps and i think this has to do with pickups cause no other of my guitars do it.

would love to follow and hear a solution.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
u know what ive noticed this on my dk2m through both of my amps and i think this has to do with pickups cause no other of my guitars do it.

would love to follow and hear a solution.

wah this is very nice info bro.... at least this could help narrow my problem to the guitar itself not the amp, pickup being too microphonic maybe?

well i'll try in the different amp or different guitar next week, and if the problem is in my guitar i'll try to potting my pickup, and let u know the result!

hope we can get rid of this annoying sound, anyway is yours as loud as mine compared to the note itself?