So I'm always looking for something new, thinking an acoustic is the way to go for me.

I want one that's wood, and not some crappy laminate

so my first options are

Seagull Performer CW
Breedlove studio
Guild GAD-50

other brand considerations
Alvarez
Takamine
Martin
Taylor

I've heard the taylors use laminate until the 300 series and the martins aren't really good this low of price compared to the other brands. The Gad-50 is made in china or something like that, so I'm not convinced.

Breedlove and Seagull are similar but different, I really think I should have a cutaway. Both are beautiful guitars and sound great. Breedloves have a little more sparkle to me, and the necks are a little easier.

I will be doing everything an acoustic guitarist can do on a guitar. Fingerpicking, Strumming, tapping, fast playing... ect.

Breedlove seems a little better at first because the neck is slightly smaller, but I've heard wonderful things about seagulls. I've only played s6 cedars, and 1 spruce (ages ago). neck is chunky, but smooth and a little wider for my chubby fingers.

anyways the seagull is a bit cheaper as well, but can't find one to play.

anyways any input would be great thanks
i've played all of those guitars (you were vague on which specific breedlove it was, but i've played somewhere in the vicinity of 30 different models, and 95 breedlove guitars over the years). all are very good, all sound very different, all play very different, feel different, etc.

and i hope you arent basing your decisions on what others say, about brand names, and especially not on youtube videos. there's more compression than you know that happens when a guitar review goes up, not to mention that unless you are using studio monitors (and even then) it wont give an accurate picture of what a guitar sounds like...

go play them all. my opinion was that the guild and breedlove were quite a bit better than the seagull, but this is incredibly personal. none of us can tell you what sounds good to you, how much you'll like the feel of something, etc.

go play everything you can
Last edited by User_Name336 at Feb 29, 2012,
there is no "best" - only what's best for each individual player.

as far as all solid guitars in the $800 and under price range, my favorite brands are guild, blueridge, eastman, recording king. guild GADs are beautifully made, beautifully finished, much better than many other brands, and being made in china doesn't change that. all solid eastmans are just gorgeous, with their own unique tone and nice appointments. and my blueridge parlor sounds awesome, regardless of where it's made. besides, the only u.s. made guitars in your price range are bottom of the line solid martins, and they haven't blown me away. sometimes laminate can sound better than all solid. for example, my favorite seagull is the original s6, which has laminate b&s, but to my ear sounds better than some all solid guitars. and i much prefer the sound of the taylor 100 series (made in mexico, lam b&s) to the 300 series (all solid, made in u.s.). the lower cost breedloves just don't compare with their focus and masterclass guitars, and i haven't noticed that the atlas or passport series breedloves have that sparkle, although i recently played a focus walnut (with redwood top) that had sparkle and WHAT an amazing sound!

personally i don't care for smaller necks. not enough room for me to do intricate stuff and fast fingerpicking.

but then your preferences in tone are probably worlds apart from mine. your best bet - get out there and play every guitar you can wrap your fingers around.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by User_Name336
i've played all of those guitars (you were vague on which specific breedlove it was, but i've played somewhere in the vicinity of 30 different models, and 95 breedlove guitars over the years). all are very good, all sound very different, all play very different, feel different, etc.

and i hope you arent basing your decisions on what others say, about brand names, and especially not on youtube videos. there's more compression than you know that happens when a guitar review goes up, not to mention that unless you are using studio monitors (and even then) it wont give an accurate picture of what a guitar sounds like...

go play them all. my opinion was that the guild and breedlove were quite a bit better than the seagull, but this is incredibly personal. none of us can tell you what sounds good to you, how much you'll like the feel of something, etc.

go play everything you can

my bad, it is the atlas series

the guild isn't bad, I don't know how the quality will hold out in the long run (is my main concern) and the guild doesn't have the cut away.

and I should clarify, I've played seagulls, just not the performer series. (although I reckon it isn't too different from the s6 spruce top I've played.)

I've been playing guitar actively for over 10 years, I know that I won't get a good feel for the tone of any instrument through any sort of speakers, no matter the quality of the audio because of the processing that takes place (such as compression on youtube) as well as the different ways it was recorded.

the three top ones are the
seagull performer cw (cut away)
Breedlove atlas studio (also has a cut away)
Guild GAD-50

I've played all of them and they all are different

I'm looking for a guitar that I'll never get rid of and that I can pass down to someone and it will still be good. Made in china to me, isn't worrying about the sound, because I have played it and it sounded and felt fine, but I don't know about 10 years down the road. I've played a lot of breedloves, but there just isn't anything special about them to me, they are good though. Guild is something I just don't see around anymore with people my age, so the uniqueness of the guild or seagull is appealing to me because I love to be unique. Also, my understanding of the performer series seagull is that it's much better than the s6 and so that looks like a lot, and i mean a lot, of potential.

also with my current acoustic, no cut away is something I sometimes would like to have.
sounds to me like you've ruled out the breedlove then. i own a higher end one, but i do have to admit that i dislike the atlast series. i prefer the cheaper passport guitars to them to be honest...

from there, you just have to really ask yourself what you like best. and dont be afraid to play things that are significantly cheaper than your budget. there was a $300 no name guitar i played once (for the life of me, i can not remember the brand) and it was solid top, laminate everything else. it was one of the best sounding guitars i've ever played, but sadly, i did not have the money to buy it, nor did it have the features i was looking for (plus it played like a $300 guitar... but at that price, i could afford to have it refretted and refinish/sand down the neck a little/change the bridge etc).

anyway, i'm just saying you gotta get playing and you'll just know the guitar for you when you play it. the only issue i've heard with the guild is that they're not careful with their shipping and dont pack them well, so give it a good look over. i've got friends that work in guitar shops and they've shown me a few that were dinged up, had cracked/chipped wood, broken headstocks, necks separating from the body (they dont do any humidity control during shipping so really check for cracks) etc.

dont let this stop you from buying one. i've never heard of one coming back if it survived the journey.