Hello,

Iv recently started doing my own recordings. Iv got all of the equipment and whatnot and a lot of my songs iv been recording with garageband. I just recently got Logic Pro and I was planning on just recording everything in garageband and then just sending it to Logic to mix and master it after the tracks are all there. Is this a good idea, or will I lose something in the process? Does Logic itself record any better than garageband?
I would personally prefer to record in Logic, as I have GB (obviously, as it comes with the Mac) but have opened it maybe two or three times, and two of those were to help people on here that were stuck with it. Logic is just a much more professional interface, and less 'dumbed down', but they are pretty similar to each other these days - I guess you could consider GarageBand to be Logic Express Lite or even 'Logic for Dummies'.

The main issue I have with Garageband is that it encourages people to only learn how to press play/stop and record, and then throw a load of plug-ins with presets on top, without really learning how to do anything and why you might choose one method/tool over another.

Logic is actually pretty easy to learn, compared to most DAWs, as it was redesigned only a few years back to fit in with the Mac OS X 'simplistic' layout, and most of the features are easy to find and self-explanatory. That being said, I'm still learning new things/tricks in Logic and I've been using it since late-2008... that's just the nature of these programs though. Like Photoshop, it's an industry-standard program that has to have a lot of features to compete with all the other professional-level DAWs out there (Pro Tools, Cubase/Nuendo etc.).

Is there a particular reason why you want to record in GarageBand, or is it just because you are more familiar with GarageBand? As for how they record... I wouldn't have thought the audio engines are too different for recording and playback; I'd imagine the biggest difference (and still a pretty small one) would be the summing algorithms where the finished track is bounced down to a single, stereo .wav/MP3/AIFF/etc. track.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I agree with DisarmGoliath but if you really want to record in GarageBand and mix in Logic that is perfectly acceptable. Logic can actually open up GarageBand files so there is no need for mixing down your tracks and importing them in Logic.

I know some people like to do this because GarageBand is more streamlined for basic recording and this way they don't feel overwhelmed by Logic's interface.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.