I need to play bass for a band who has a guitar player with much more skill. i have a hondo 2 '82 les paul copy(a high quality one) and want to convert to a bass (tuned standard possibly b) im considering these strings
Those strings are for a baritone guitar or extra short scale bass VI style instrument. You're not going to be able to turn a regular scale les paul copy into anything reasonably resembling a bass.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 1, 2012,
Go down to your local pawn and pick up a squire p bass or similar and plug it direct into the PA to hold you out till you can buy a decent rig.
Yea, if it's a nice guitar, keep it intact, don't wreck it.

Those strings are about the gauge of my short scale bronco bass. I'm about to use my squier for 13-56 flats to make a baritone light (if it works well) but a 24 3/4 scale guitar just won't cut it, and your tuners and nut would need replacing.

Best bet for cheap, find the cheapest squier P or P bass copy you can find that seems decent and throw the thickest 4 of a 5 string set.

Before you ask no there is no way to go between E standard and BEAD. You'd need two basses or if you have the money and comfort a 5 string bass.

Also don't use your guitar amp, I have a feeling you planned on making a bass out of a guitar and thinking it made using a guitar amp ok.
Quote by hyper5
Go down to your local pawn and pick up a squire p bass or similar and plug it direct into the PA to hold you out till you can buy a decent rig.

Ive been down that road. Still on it actually haha.

But honestly man, you'd be better buying a second hand bass, it'd probably be cheaper than a conversion.