Well, I decided to show off a few new pieces to my collection.

Some of you might remember this from my .175 thread a while back: a stock Affinity P-Bass I picked up for a pittance. I didn't know it at the time, but the neck was complete junk. So...

...I decided to go in a new direction with it. The neck is a Mighty Mite fretless with ebanol fretboard. I repainted the bland white pickguard flat black and beveled the edges white. A polyurethane coat keeps scratches off. A coat of white to the pickups really makes them pop.

After all was said and done, I have a custom P-Bass for the price of a stock Affinity, so I think I came out ahead on it. The P-Bass growl is even better fretless. It's lots of fun to play and learn on. I strung it with D'Addario halfwounds, so it retains a little twang. The only thing about the ebanol fretboard (besides it being shiny) is the fact that it scuffs a little easy.

I was itching for another bass to work on after the P-Bass, so I found this.

A '97 Fender Jazz. It's a little rougher than the pictures indicate; it's definitely seen some playing time. There's dents here and there, and it could use a new nut. Someone fudged the tone wiring, so a replacement pot and cap are in order. It has the one-piece pickguard (poorly painted black, I might add) rather than the pickguard/plate combo I usually see on Jazzes.

I had my dad sandblast the black off of the pickguard to reveal that it was indeed a stock white 3-ply pickguard. We coated it once in black enamel in an effort to restore it back to a black pickguard, but a flaw with the paint setting led to another round in the sandblaster. The end result was this happy accident: some of the enamel stuck to the white pickguard, giving it this custom, smoked look. We decided to keep it to give the Jazz a little character and a custom touch.

It's exactly what you think it sounds like; a Jazz bass. It's got a nice feel, and even with a busted tone knob, it's capable of some nice tones. I just need to invest a little more work into it to make it truly capable again.

Any comments or suggestions on recommended work would be appreciated, and thanks for checking the thread out!
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
cool stuff, love little projects.

On your squier P, did your pickups have glue on them? I really want to paint my covers cream (to stand out from a similar black painted guard) but the covers are glued to the damn pickups. I haven't had much time to look or see how they come off though. I completely stripped it of paint, and will be staining and wood burning it, also adding a bridge P pickup, and VVTT setup at the least, in addition to brass nut, recut pickguard, flats.
Awesome odd basses. I love seeing those weird Fender pop up. Kudos on the "odd" finds that turned into beautiful basses.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by askrere
cool stuff, love little projects.

On your squier P, did your pickups have glue on them? I really want to paint my covers cream (to stand out from a similar black painted guard) but the covers are glued to the damn pickups. I haven't had much time to look or see how they come off though. I completely stripped it of paint, and will be staining and wood burning it, also adding a bridge P pickup, and VVTT setup at the least, in addition to brass nut, recut pickguard, flats.

Thanks!

Yeah, the covers were glued on. It took a little newspaper and some taping around the poles and wiring to get them painted properly.

Your project sounds pretty cool. If I read that correctly, you're going to have two sets of P pickups?

Quote by Thomme
Awesome odd basses. I love seeing those weird Fender pop up. Kudos on the "odd" finds that turned into beautiful basses.

Thanks, man!
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by graybass_20x6
Thanks!

Yeah, the covers were glued on. It took a little newspaper and some taping around the poles and wiring to get them painted properly.

Your project sounds pretty cool. If I read that correctly, you're going to have two sets of P pickups?

Ah I figured this would be the only option without dangerous surgery...

And yes, the Affinity's come with mini pots, and I bought a guys complete affinity wiring harness and pickup, so now I can fit both and control both. The bridge is setup in reverse*. I am debating making it fretless, but I think I will stick with fretted. It's good practice, but the things so Ugly I might find another <$50 P bass to do it with... Also considering a stereo setup, also if I had the time I am curious about series/parallel between bridge and and neck, S/P for the pickup sides, phase switches, and also I was wondering about say for laughs and jollies enabling each individual part of the pickup to be individually on/off for more custom control.

* I am kind of curious about Fenders love of using / this slant for pickups (p is similar). From what I've read it's to enhance bass, and treble for the respective strings. Myself I've always thought \ would produce better overall balance. This is especially true on the P bass bridge pickup as a normal set Pickup would place the treble side essentially on the bridge and make for a seemingly harsh D and G string tone.