Page 1 of 3
We did one of these before quite a while ago, and I've been thinking about doing one again.

UPDATE: There are going to be separate jams by genre.
They are going to be metal, blues, jazz/fusion, and maybe country.

Signup thread is up! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29282184#post29282184
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 8, 2012,
I'd be down. Love doing stuff like this when they pop up. I can even make a decent backing track if needed.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Yeah I'm in.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
i did the last one, i am down. in fact, let me know if you need any help on backing tracks. i have a waltz and a 'jazz' progression that are awesome for soloing over if we want some alternatives to a rock/metal backing track
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by oneblackened
We did one of these before quite a while ago, and I've been thinking about doing one again.

This thread is just to gauge interest before any recording actually happens. Basically, one person records a backing track, and everyone takes a turn soloing over it.

I probably won't play this time but thanks for the offer. I agree, they are a lot of fun. The last one was pretty successful and was run by Bostonrocks. You will need a guy who is good at receiving lots of overdubs in different formats and putting them into the track 'in-time' and such. I can't remember who did that last time. Fishamungus maybe? I actually have a link to that thread if you want it.

Quote by WtrPlyr
Would be interesting.

You can also download all kinds of backing tracks right?

I think it is more cool if the backing track came from a UG'r.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 1, 2012,
Sounds cool.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by gumbilicious
i did the last one, i am down. in fact, let me know if you need any help on backing tracks. i have a waltz and a 'jazz' progression that are awesome for soloing over if we want some alternatives to a rock/metal backing track

I kinda think maybe that we should stick to rock/metal, but a jazzish one would be cool too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd be down for some of that action now that I have some recording gear sorted out. The real question is whether or not anybody wants to hear my half assed playing
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I'd be down to make the bt. I think something that would be great would to have different sections. Nothing against past versions of this, but it gets pretty boring and indistinguishable when its just 7 minutes of the same bt and nothing but pentatonic licks over it.
Quote by darkwolf291
Don't just stick to rock/metal man.

Let everyone bring their own style into the jam, and we'll try and meld them as best as we can.
Less people will want to participate, and it won't be as interesting.

I meant as far as a backing track. Maybe a santana progression? min7 to the 9 chord a fourth above
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I don't play guitar...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'll play over it!

I like my blues pent licks Ben
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by rokket2005
in moderation .

7 minutes worth of blues licks over the same 3 chord vamp?

IT WAS ONLY 5! AND IT WAS FOUR CHORDS! DANG IT! GET IT STRAIGHT!
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by darkwolf291

You ever get your splawn Brett?

of course not. come on you think I actually want one? No, I just like pissing people off
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
how about we make a competition out of it? several teams each with 4~5 people with each team having a leader who does the bt/mixing and editing. I think it would be cool, and can rival the PBT comps we had earlier in the year.
Ill try to get a progression recorded and up tonight/ tomm night.

And then ill post tabs for the chords if you guys want cuz I doubt anyone will know the proper names of them or anything

But yea I think we should make a collection of 5 different backing tracks compsed by UG and then do a every does their solos over it and then we do a competition of the top 3 for each bacling track then pick a winner?
Quote by darkwolf291
I was thinking maybe do a metal progression in like, E, then go on to a clean one, a jazzier one, etc., trying to keep the track flowing and coherent though.
Just give everyone something to play with
We'd have to get everyone who signs up's preferred genre

Why not do something like this? A metal solo group over one riff, a classic rock group over another, blues over another... you get my point.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by darkwolf291
That's what I meant.
But breaking it into separate jams by genre would be cool

i'm with this.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by darkwolf291
Let people join what they want to.

Like, if someone wants to join the Metal Jam, and the Blues Jam, they can do that, instead of having it be a cluster**** of country, rock, metal, and blues, all thrown into one.

Sounds good to me.

Who wants to be in charge of what?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Sounds good guys. I can also do the metal one, but it'll be a pretty mediocre quality recording.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Edit the OP to reflect the additions.

Also, we should figure up a sign up period, and a period for recording it.

When the sign ups start, we need to post everyone's names in a list in the OP, listed by genre.
Add a * when you receive their track, so they know if they forgot to send it or something.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by darkwolf291
Edit the OP to reflect the additions.

Also, we should figure up a sign up period, and a period for recording it.

When the sign ups start, we need to post everyone's names in a list in the OP, listed by genre.
Add a * when you receive their track, so they know if they forgot to send it or something.

Check your PM's.

Also, who is doing backing tracks?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Page 1 of 3