just got the MIG50. its loud as hell breaks up around 3 o'clock, sounds great but is damn loud. i pushed it up to 8 and it was just so much more depth with the overdrive, it was like an eargasm.

would i be able to get enough of breakup at a lower volume with a attentuator? would it kill tone too much? which would you get? the MIG 's output is 4, 8, and 16 ohm options. most every other amp i have i run at 16 ohms as well.

also the reason why i don't know it will do enough but if i go to half power on one of my Splawns, i don't lose much headroom.

would it be worth it? is that a potential solution?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think a better idea would be a master volume mod. You saw my post in your NAD thread. I've been researching MIGs a lot. A ton of people are modding theirs for master volumes. I think it's also way cheaper than a good attenuator. And it's not an extra piece of stuff. It's just a knob. And if you ever wanted to sell the amp it probably wouldn't affect the value mush if at all. It'd actually be more of a convenience to the buyer
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
+1 to what ibanezguitars44 said.

This would be similar to the post phase inverter master volume knobs that people put in the FX loop of their Splawns -or- why Scott is now doing this anyway on all of his amps.

Therefore, I see that as a less costly less intrusive way to tame your new beast.

That said, attenuators do have their place. Usually that place is in gigging and recording environments. If you are working on building out a studio to rent out then an attenuator may be a smart thing to have. Unfortunately, unless you get a really good one ($500+) then you may end up with something that is less than desirable. I'm not an expert here though so maybe ping Bubbs Tubbs, al124987, Cathbard etc if they don't see this thread. What I do know is that the speaker motor (load coil) type are better than the resistor based type.

PS: I didn't really understand the Splawn half power question - but I might be able to help there, not sure. Oh wait, I think I see. Well running at half power and running an attenuator are pretty different. Running an attenuator basically allows you to crank up the amp like you want, but then send (attenuate) some of the signal to a load coil to be dissipated (burned off) as opposed to the entire signal going to your speakers. Similar to a load dump if you've ever heard that term.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by ibanezguitars44
I think a better idea would be a master volume mod.

+2
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It really depends on what kind of volumes you're after and if you specifically want power tube distortion.

I could never get an attenuator to sound good at bedroom volumes, they just suck up too much of the tone. Now, if we're talking about recording volumes or gigging volumes, then an attenuator can work quite well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

This would be similar to the post phase inverter master volume knobs that people put in the FX loop of their Splawns -or- why Scott is now doing this anyway on all of his amps.

my uberschall has a "send/cut" knob by the loop, could this be used effectively as an attenuator?
No, nothing but an attenuator (in the guitar amp sense, in the literal sense all the volume, gain, and tone knobs on your amp are 'attenuators' of a sort) can be used as an attenuator. A post phase inverter master volume is the closest thing to an attenuator and is still not anything like it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Therefore, I see that as a less costly less intrusive way to tame your new beast.

That said, attenuators do have their place. Usually that place is in gigging and recording environments. If you are working on building out a studio to rent out then an attenuator may be a smart thing to have. Unfortunately, unless you get a really good one ($500+) then you may end up with something that is less than desirable. I'm not an expert here though so maybe ping Bubbs Tubbs, al124987, Cathbard etc if they don't see this thread. What I do know is that the speaker motor (load coil) type are better than the resistor based type.

PS: I didn't really understand the Splawn half power question - but I might be able to help there, not sure. Oh wait, I think I see. Well running at half power and running an attenuator are pretty different. Running an attenuator basically allows you to crank up the amp like you want, but then send (attenuate) some of the signal to a load coil to be dissipated (burned off) as opposed to the entire signal going to your speakers. Similar to a load dump if you've ever heard that term.

i am going to keep this one stock. its frist run, low number, who knows if that makes a big deal or not, but i have noticed that Migs used prices have risen over the last few years. i know i am not sitting on gold, its just something i don't want to mod. also the volume pots are excellent, you can go to 1.5/10 at a reasonable volume, at two nice breakup, three smooth dynamic OD which is very sensitive.

the point of the splawn half power switch was just if it was comparable to breakup than adding the load. splawn would have less headroom, as a result of wattage, that the mig could get attentuated enough to make it worth buying one. i will get one eventually anyways for the studio, so i was figured now would be a good time if any.

volume i can play pretty much as loud as i want, neighbors aren't far but aren't that close. i did get somebody hear both splawns dimed, four houses away. nice guy. he actually complements my playing regularly.

what do you recommend?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what do you recommend?

I'm not an attenuator expert not do I have any real life experience.

Bubbs and al124987 are the experts here.

Maybe bump Bubb's thread. It could use a good bump.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433637

Also feel free to ask in the Who To Listen To thread

If you want to get something relatively inexpensive that is quality and will do the job then look at the Weber Mass 200 or something. You can attenuate to different levels and it has tone controls I believe. Remember, at least with these coil based attenuators, that you need around 150% watt capacity over the watts of the amp you are using.

www.taweber.com
Before trying an attenuator, try putting a volume pedal in the effects loops. It won't do exactly the same thing, BUT if it works good enough for you then it'll save you a big chunk of money
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣