I've been in a band very recently (a year and a half).
I'm the lead vocalist/guitar, keyboards. It's a five man band.
This thread is to post complaints and hopefully get advice and such

LONG-TERM ISSUES:

- Only written two songs.
- Different taste in music, in comparison to other members (I prefer indie/alternative rock, most of them prefer metal.
- Other band members just want covers; me and (partly) the lead guitar player want to write songs
- Not enough contribution from the rhythm guitarist, bassist.
- Keeps saying we're not ready to play live, even just for a single tune, even though we're much more skilled that most of the bands in this area.

CURRENT ISSUES:

- Asked a friend's band if I could play support act for a local event; he said he might, not sure yet. Everybody, with the exception of the lead guitarist, said yes. Lead guitarist said his brother had problems with this band we're supporting. I think it's unprofessional and we're missing a good opportunity.

- something_sweet
first things first, if you have a different goal than the rest of the band, such as wanting to be an original band and everyone else wants to be a cover band, then you probably shouldn't be there, and you should find another band.

taste doesn't really matter in terms of what you listen to trust me on this in my band the lead guitarist is in to metal, the bassist is more grunge and classic rock, the singer is more punk/ pop punk, the drummer is more into rap and I'm more into nu metal and industrial. so the style you most commonly listen to has little to do with weather or not you can play and write together. what matters is everyone focusing on one goal and the openness the members have toward trying new things musically.

only having written 2 songs isn't alot, but why is it that you've only written 2? do you guys have increadibly complicated music that you are taking alot of time perfecting each one, or is it that you just aren't working on writing that hard? or maybe you guys have been learninga bunch of covers...

also as for supporting that act, find out what kinds of problems your guitarists brother had with them. was it a petty arguement or did they do something absolutely horrible like stealling instruments? also try to talk to other people they worked with. if it was something small there really is no reason you shouldn't do it other than the fact that you only have 2 songs....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
We're not a cover band-it's just that we keep learning covers for some reason, I've written over 50 pages of writing (not necessarily finished lyrics), and they've used none.

I'm not so sure what happened to the guitar player's brother; what I do know, is that he doesn't want to play. Also, I haven't gotten an OK for the gig, so I don't know.
personally i think you should be looking for a different band if you want to play originals since you have learned a bunch of covers. also if you have been learning more covers than the band writes original stuff, I hate to break it to you, you are a cover band.

also what would you be playing at this gig? if its only one song I wouldn't do it. if it's a few covers then you've started to gig as a cover band. seriously why hasn't the band written more?

look I get that some people don't contribute what you think they should but they may only be interested in playing what they are told to play vs writing. in my experience one or two people do the majority of the writing and the others kind of just fill in.

i dunno man you should probably just start looking for a more serious band.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I have some news for you, you are not in a band. You are a bunch of guys that get together and play music.

In a year and a half you should of written more than one song, yes you have pages of lyrics but they are just that; Lyrics not songs.

The different tastes is music should not be an issue and infact should help you define your bands unique sound. Can you imagine if every single alt rock band was made up of members that just listened to alt rock? The end result would be every single alt rock song played by every single alt rock band sounding pretty much the same. Now imagine if one of those bands got a metal drummer in and they did small metal touches on the drums, soundly that band stands out from the generic alt rock crowd and has something interesting and different to offer. Use all these musical tastes to your advantage. I grew up in the (so called) 'Grunge era', this kind of music itself was a mixture of Heavy Metal and Hardcore Punk, did this mixture cause problems? Nope, it worked to create exciting times (until the mainstream came and saturated the scene).

Now the covers Vs Originals is a problem as a band should have a joint goal of what they want to achieve and you guys don't, which is one of the reasons I say you are guys playing music rather than a band. You need to communicate with them ask them why they want to go down that route, and if you can not agree and resolve the situation you will need to part ways and find some members that share the same sort of goals as you.

Contribuation from other members is always varied, some produce more others less. As long as the end result is that songs get created (which in your case its not) it is not a problem. My band I am the main song writer. I write most of the lyrics and the basic song music and arrangements. I then take that to the others and my lead and bass work out their parts from what I have already giving them. That works for me. They themselves are not writing songs/music but they still contribute to the song in the end. I can live with that.

And your last point, you are not ready to play live yet. You have only two songs and no focused goal. You need to resolved all these issues then you can think about playing live.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Quote by something_sweet
We're not a cover band-it's just that we keep learning covers for some reason, I've written over 50 pages of writing (not necessarily finished lyrics), and they've used none.

You seem a little confused, here's a test to see if your band is a covers band or an originals band.

Question 1:

Are most of your songs,

(a) Originals
(b) Covers

If you answered, option A, you are an originals band.

If you answered, option B, you are a covers band.

Question 2:

There is no question 2.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
You seem a little confused, here's a test to see if your band is a covers band or an originals band.

Question 1:

Are most of your songs,

(a) Originals
(b) Covers

If you answered, option A, you are an originals band.

If you answered, option B, you are a covers band.

Question 2:

There is no question 2.

Q1: Guess we're a covers band then... but this is wrong. I don't want to be doing SOAD and Disturbed covers. I came to write music.

That's the thing; nobody listens to me, oddly enough for a singer. It's frustrating. The drummer and lead guitarist make all the decisions, the rhythm and bass player just do what they're told and not much else... it's not collaborative.

Q2: Idk I can't answer that ahaha
Quote by something_sweet
That's the thing; nobody listens to me, oddly enough for a singer. It's frustrating. The drummer and lead guitarist make all the decisions, the rhythm and bass player just do what they're told and not much else... it's not collaborative.

This is why you should be looking for a new band.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by something_sweet

..... are you in Van Halen?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Get a new band or tell the rest of the members that you want to play originals. Maybe they'll like the idea, but it seems most likely that you'll want to form a new band. However to avoid this same thing from happening again, just find a bunch of guys that can't write lyrics and want to be in an original band, and you'll have all the power of creative freedom.
You may want to consider leaving that band. Sounds like crap that you only have 2 songs written, unless each song is like 25 minutes long of some kind of prog. LOL

Quote by jpatan
..... are you in Van Halen?

Made me chuckle. The bass player in Van Halen is,,, Valen Halen, Wolfgang Van Halen, the son of Eddy Van Halen. He has to obey his daddy and his uncle Alexi Laiho Van Halen or he doesnt get any pocket money and no trips to the candy store.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
You may want to consider leaving that band. Sounds like crap that you only have 2 songs written, unless each song is like 25 minutes long of some kind of prog. LOL

Funny enough, we bonded originally through a common love of Tool, which I guess is prog. Sort of.

Also, I'm finding lots of VH similarities.

So, guys, new band or what?
dude, new band. dont nessecarily quit right away if you like going and jamming but definately look for a new band.
Quote by Dirk Gently