I carried my electric today in the trunk. It was a 45 minute drive, the temnperature was 35 degrees centigrade.

I checked the guitar after I removed it and there didnt seem to be any damage at all.

Could carrying it in the trunk have caused some danage to the pickups that I may not notice at first hand ?
Yes. The entropy of bouncing around the trunk caused the pickups to disintegrate inside from the vibrations.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Yes. The entropy of bouncing around the trunk caused the pickups to disintegrate inside from the vibrations.

ohh damn, i'm gonna go plug iit and play and see if there is an issue.
Freaking hell, i'm gonna kill myself if it's damaged.
don't think so. maybe there was a bad solder point and it snapped in the cold, but outside of that don't think so.
Quote by adambauman31
don't think so. maybe there was a bad solder point and it snapped in the cold, but outside of that don't think so.

Pssst... 35* centigrade is about 95 Farenheit... Not so cold..

To answer your question.. it should be ok...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
(In the event that you're actually serious, no, your guitar is fine. Pickups literally cannot be broken in any way unless you physically dismantle them. The only thing that could possibly happen in the event you described besides obvious damage would be your guitar going out of tune.)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Thanks guys, im a little relieved to hear that there may not be any damage. In any event I want to go home and check it myself just to be sure. damn its the only electric I have.
Just don't leave it in the trunk in heat like that. Short distances are ok... but left in a parking lot for 3-4 hours... not so good.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Guitars aren't nearly as delicate as many people make them out to be. At the end of the day, they're solid wood and metal.

If you have a hollowbody or an acoustic, it's different, but solid body guitars are tanks. Very, very little can actually damage them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Guitars aren't nearly as delicate as many people make them out to be. At the end of the day, they're solid wood and metal.

If you have a hollowbody or an acoustic, it's different, but solid body guitars are tanks. Very, very little can actually damage them.

That depends on a lot of factors. Some are more sensitive than others, depending on construction method, materials used, finish and such. Humidity and temperature changes can very possibly damage a guitar, especially if the change is sudden.

The advice is simple and pretty easy to follow: Do not put your guitar in any situation where you wouldn't feel comfortable yourself if you can avoid it.

For example, how would you feel in the trunk of a car on a hot day?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Offworld92

True Story, happened to a friend of mi-

Quote by Offworld92
(In the event that you're actually serious, no, your guitar is fine. Pickups literally cannot be broken in any way unless you physically dismantle them. The only thing that could possibly happen in the event you described besides obvious damage would be your guitar going out of tune.)

Damn, ruining my fun.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by HomerSGR

For example, how would you feel in the trunk of a car on a hot day?

Well I guitar used to be in the case in my room. Now i've kept it in my cupboard. And I won't be going to my apartment for another 48 hours.

Usually i'd just keep it out in the open but I have a 16 month old son so I have to be very careful not to have it lying around.
Quote by Offworld92

What about the beginning of the day?
Quote by Dalymiddleboro
What about the beginning of the day?

Frozen ectoplasm. Obviously.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You could try an put it on the backseats or on the the passenger seat
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
You could try an put it on the backseats or on the the passenger seat
Just don't leave it in the car on a hot day with the windows up. If somebody should call the police about it, your guitar will be taken off you by the people at "guitar protective services, and given to a foster guitar family. Not to mention you will be charged with "endangering the welfare of a helpless guitar". Should the worst happen, and the guitar dies, you will be charged with, "criminally negligent guitaricide"....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 1, 2012,
A 45 minute drive isnt going to do anything. Say you had left it roasting in a parking lot all day, it might be a different story.

You're fine
NOPE
It could easily be damaged in the trunk. For instance if you hit a bump in the road you could break the neck or headstock. Not to mention if its hot in the trunk then the neck could warp if it were to stay in there long enough. Invest in a plush and well insulated guitar case. Also some cars have metal rings in the seats used for securing baby carseats, these can also be used to secure a guitar case. Get some nylon straps and loop them around the case then tie/hook them to the metal rings.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 2, 2012,