Poll: M-Audio Fast Track MKII or Line 6 Pod Studio UX1
Poll Options
View poll results: M-Audio Fast Track MKII or Line 6 Pod Studio UX1
M-Audio
5 83%
POD Studio
1 17%
Voters: 6.
So I want a USB recording interface/sound card to get into making demos and whatnot, as well as for my work in University. For me it's either of these, they're exactly the price I'm looking for and they're 2 brands that I trust and love (having used M-Audio interfaces in Uni and hearing POD tones and the versatility). I don't really want anything else suggested, I just want to hear opinions and comparisons of these two products so I can decide which would be best for me.

I'll be recording mainly guitar/bass but I might want to dive into vocals at some point - the M-Audio has phantom power but the line 6 is better for guitars, while still having an XLR input (though presumably thats for mic'ing up a cab).

My amp isn't ideal for mic'ing up at all, so I'll be recording guitars DI more than likely (either completely unprocessed or through my effects pedal, I'll experiment with that later) but a friend of mine owns a Marshall DSL100 head and cab which I might mic up at some point if he can get it here from his house.

tl;dr What do you people think? Please stick to the two boxes in the topic title, but if you really think I should get something else, please nothing above £100
Gear:
Ibanez S420 (Standard tuned)
Ibanez RG350 (Drop C tuned)
BOSS ME-50 multi effects pedal
Marshall MG50
From my experience from both neither. Although I have had less problems with my line 6.

To be honest there is no difference in any of the interfaces in this price range. Except they are all worse than the Saffire 6 which doesn't even cost much more at all.

POD Farm is something you grow out of once you realize there are better amps sims that are free. So no point on basin your decision on that. The UX1 has no phantom power I don't know why any one would consider something without phantom power even if there only doing guitars.

As for M-Audio I had driver problems when I used them. The preamps really aren't any better than the Line6. I used a slightly older model though on Vista.

Like I said between the two get the M-Audio for phantom power. The rest of the differences don't even mater IMO. Thats how similar the interfaces are.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 1, 2012,
Thanks so that's two votes for M-Audio then
Gear:
Marshall MG50
I have no source of income at all, its literally in the £100 range that I have to stick cause it's birthday money that I'm getting this out of. So really I can't go above it.
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Also the M-Audio comes with Pro Tools SE 8
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Its not a real Pro tools pack, just a freebie beginner thing IIRC
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Ah, alright then. Well I'm assuming the M-Audio will be better anyway, since cubase (which I'm using) comes with its own guitar effects package and I have a multi-FX pedal, the line 6 will probably only be very similar to either of these. I dunno, still finding it hard to decide but leaning to M-Audio

EDIT:
We have a new contender. The PreSonus Audiobox USB. I've seen a lot of good reviews for this, including someone who was facing the same decision I am. Opinions?
Gear:
Marshall MG50
Last edited by RyanIbanezMan at Mar 1, 2012,