I have started going through strings pretty quickly, especially acoustic guitar strings. I'm playing a good few hours a day and was wondering if there was anything I could apply/do to the strings to make them last that little bit longer?
Wash your hands before playing and wipe down the strings after.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I've never tried it, but I used to know some people who believed soaking them in boiling water for a minute or two then pouring cold water on them freshened them up and made them last longer.

Could be worth a try?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
hand washing, wiping after playing, using something like fast fret, or coated strings. I used elixir nanowebs, and they last me a good bit longer... like easily 5-6 times as long as the uncoated.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
1- Wash hands before playing
2- Fast fret after playing (and wipe down)
3- Realize you'll need to change strings fairly frequently, especially if you're playing for a few hours every day. So my advice is don't waste money on coated/treated/unnecessarily expensive sets. Coated sets sound dull to me anyway.

Same ideas would apply to electrics.

This is just my routine, & it has worked wonders for me. The fast fret reduced string talk quite a bit too, which is an added bonus
I have tried a lot of fast fret in the past. Its alright, but it makes a mess on your guitar and the effects are very temporary. The best way to clean them is by wiping each string down with a rag. But even then, it won't stop corrosion forming. This is why you have to replace stings pretty often.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.