Welcome to this thread of recording tips and troubleshooting.

I believe we noobs annoy the pros of this amasing forum, so I suggest we make this a thread where we have beginners recording tips and troubleshooting.

For example (I actually need help with this ) :

My audio interface is a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, I record vocals with my Shure Beta 58A.
As I plug my audio interface into my computer and my Labtec Multimedia Speaker Pulse 485 (which is where my bass is supposed to come from) into my audio interface I get no bass, just plain speaker sound. If I plug my bass directly to my computer I get bass (ps. my external speakers are plugged directly to my bass component). I have no clue how to proceed.

My next problem is when I record vocals through my dynamic microphone I get really low sound input and a weird, badly sounding, distortion on the sound input. If i raise the gain I will be able to hear myself, but the distortion doesn't disappear. There is no way I would be able to co-operate with this distortion, what might be wrong?
Its not the questions that annoy the regulars. Its the questions that are repeated over and over. Or when people get shitty.

I'll help you when I get back from class. To much to type on a phone :/
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by SicCazee

My audio interface is a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, I record vocals with my Shure Beta 58A.
As I plug my audio interface into my computer and my Labtec Multimedia Speaker Pulse 485 (which is where my bass is supposed to come from) into my audio interface I get no bass, just plain speaker sound. If I plug my bass directly to my computer I get bass (ps. my external speakers are plugged directly to my bass component). I have no clue how to proceed.

So your saying no bass is coming from the sub woofer when going through interface?

My next problem is when I record vocals through my dynamic microphone I get really low sound input and a weird, badly sounding, distortion on the sound input. If i raise the gain I will be able to hear myself, but the distortion doesn't disappear. There is no way I would be able to co-operate with this distortion, what might be wrong?

Okay dynamic mic are not as sensitive as condenser mics, meaning you need to put more sound into a dynamic micr to get a louder sound out (what i meant is condensers amplify sound easier and you have a dynamic). This is why you are having to boost the signal. You are taking a quiet input and making it louder. Is there some audio you can provide on the distortion. Distortion is kind of a broad term when it comes to micrphones. It could be clipping of hardware, clipping of software, white noise, background hiss, line interference. A clip will help filter out what is what.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by FireHawk
So your saying no bass is coming from the sub woofer when going through interface?

Idd, I get no bass from the sub woofer while it is connected to the interface.

Quote by FireHawk
Okay dynamic mic are not as sensitive as condenser mics, meaning you need to put more sound into the condenser to get a louder sound out. This is why you are having to boost the signal. You are taking a quiet input and making it louder. Is there some audio you can provide on the distortion. Distortion is kind of a broad term when it comes to micrphones. It could be clipping of hardware, clipping of software, white noise, background hiss, line interference. A clip will help filter out what is what.

The output sounds exactly as if I was a robot speaking
I have tried Guitar Rig to test out recording guitar, the same is applied if not worse.
Quote by SicCazee
Idd, I get no bass from the sub woofer while it is connected to the interface.

Are you going....interface -> sub -> speakers?

The output sounds exactly as if I was a robot speaking
I have tried Guitar Rig to test out recording guitar, the same is applied if not worse.

lol idk wtf is up with that. but i insist on an audio clip even if it is a robot voice.
Quote by FireHawk
Are you going....interface -> sub -> speakers?

I have a USB cable from my computer to my audio interface.
A 6,3mm adapter into my interface´s output follwed by a 3,5mm audio cable to my sub.
The speakers are connected into the sub.

Quote by FireHawk
lol idk wtf is up with that. but i insist on an audio clip even if it is a robot voice.

Tried to convert my als file, the recording of my Ableton Live software, into a wav file and then to an mp3 file, it didn't really work.
I couldn't convert the als file directly to an mp3 file, so I tried wav then downloading a convertion program, but the converting software could not identify the wav file as a wav file, so it didn't work. Gave up
Just noticed, if I don't have the recording software launched and I turn up the gain, I can hear myself without the distortion. I set the input on instrument aswell, for extra power to the mic, since it not supported by the phantom power.
Part 1
The subwoofer problem sounds to me like an issue with the (lack of) a crossover system going on. When you use a sub, you need something that tells the sub to ignore/only receive signals below a set threshold, or it would be pumping out signals the tweeters handle better.

Most subwoofers (I know of) for home use have a crossover network built-in, and as FireHawk said, you have to go through the subwoofer first, and it will filter the low-freq detail into it's own amp/signal chain, and send the stuff above the threshold out to the main monitors (which will receive their input from the sub).

Not sure of your exact situation, but it sounds like either the sub crossover isn't active/working... could you have the sub crossover turned off/bypassed, therefore sending everything through to the main speakers and not leaving anything for the sub?

Don't use a sub myself so most of this is based on what I've seen of other engineer's rigs.

Part 2
As for the mic problem, you need to eliminate all the elements of your signal path from being the problem. Try a different mic. Try different cables. Try a different recording program (DAW), even if it's Audacity, to see if it could be an issue where the DAW won't cooperate with the interface drivers etc. Could be a lot of things. Also, does it happen all the time?

Sometimes if I leave my Mac on sleep mode for a long time, and come back to it, my Apogee Duet comes back on with a really harsh distorted and squished sound output (both through headphone and main outputs) until I unplug it and re-insert the FireWire cable... it's a known issue with several interfaces when computers go into sleep mode and the interface is unsure what to do.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by SicCazee

Tried to convert my als file, the recording of my Ableton Live software, into a wav file and then to an mp3 file, it didn't really work.
I couldn't convert the als file directly to an mp3 file, so I tried wav then downloading a convertion program, but the converting software could not identify the wav file as a wav file, so it didn't work. Gave up

So? You exported/mixdowned the Ableton Live file as a .wav right? Then tried to convert to mp3 and it failed? That sounds like it could be a problem. Was there an error about not having an mp3 encorder?

Also you can't just convert .als you have to mixdown the project.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Part 1
The subwoofer problem sounds to me like an issue with the (lack of) a crossover system going on. When you use a sub, you need something that tells the sub to ignore/only receive signals below a set threshold, or it would be pumping out signals the tweeters handle better.

Most subwoofers (I know of) for home use have a crossover network built-in, and as FireHawk said, you have to go through the subwoofer first, and it will filter the low-freq detail into it's own amp/signal chain, and send the stuff above the threshold out to the main monitors (which will receive their input from the sub).

Not sure of your exact situation, but it sounds like either the sub crossover isn't active/working... could you have the sub crossover turned off/bypassed, therefore sending everything through to the main speakers and not leaving anything for the sub?

Don't use a sub myself so most of this is based on what I've seen of other engineer's rigs.

As mentioned before:

I have a USB cable from my computer to my audio interface.
A 6,3mm adapter into my interface´s output follwed by a 3,5mm audio cable to my sub.
The speakers are connected into the sub.

With this setup I don't see how I can connect computer -> sub -> interface, or however it is supposed to be.
I can connect my speakers differently though, since they fit both in my sub and my interface. But at this moment, if I plug the speakers into my interface, there is no sound.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Part 2
As for the mic problem, you need to eliminate all the elements of your signal path from being the problem. Try a different mic. Try different cables. Try a different recording program (DAW), even if it's Audacity, to see if it could be an issue where the DAW won't cooperate with the interface drivers etc. Could be a lot of things. Also, does it happen all the time?

Sometimes if I leave my Mac on sleep mode for a long time, and come back to it, my Apogee Duet comes back on with a really harsh distorted and squished sound output (both through headphone and main outputs) until I unplug it and re-insert the FireWire cable... it's a known issue with several interfaces when computers go into sleep mode and the interface is unsure what to do.

The same weird sound applies to skype calls, so I believe it has something to do with the setup, not the DAW.
Quote by FireHawk
So? You exported/mixdowned the Ableton Live file as a .wav right? Then tried to convert to mp3 and it failed? That sounds like it could be a problem. Was there an error about not having an mp3 encorder?

Also you can't just convert .als you have to mixdown the project.

It's at this moment a .wav file, but as the converter software (wav->mp3) browsed the location of the file, it did not recognize it as a .wav file. Thus it didn't appear since the browsing was only set to find .wav files. And that was the only mode possible.
Good news everyone! (Pic of Professor Farnsworth)

I got my gear working, yet some difficulties remain.
I set the driver type to ASIO and rebooted.
Yet..
My bass is still "missing".
I have 2 inputs, input 2 doesn't record.
My Guitar Rig 5 software stops working after a small amount of time. First it acts like an amplifier, then it just quits, but the software is still running. Although I get it running if I keep pressing the on button as it stops.
I think I possibly got confusing when typing it all. What I was saying is that you basically need to follow the signal chain along to make it work this way:

DAW output > Interface > Sub > Monitors.

To get this to work, you need a crossover network (usually built into most entry/mid-level commercial products) that will filter the signals with a higher frequency than the sub is ideal for, and send them along to the monitors. If you have no bass, and have it set up that way, it suggests to me that you have the sub muted and everything going through to the monitors, or you have the crossover set up too low, so it is sending too much of the frequency range to the monitors and next to nothing to the sub.

I could be wrong though, as I said earlier - I've only learnt this much from other people's setups as I don't have a sub myself and one isn't high on my priority list atm.

As for the inputs on your interface... are they simultaneous inputs? Sometimes an interface will have a mic input and a line/instrument input, but you can only use one or the other; not both at the same time.

Edit: Nevermind, googled your interface so it isn't that reason. Are you sure you have your DAW setup with Input 1 on one track, and Input 2 on another? Most DAW's will not automatically use different inputs for each track, unless you create several tracks at once and set the inputs to separate tracks.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 4, 2012,