So, playing the acoustic intro to 'Welcome Home' by Coheed and Cambria. There is a small sweep in the beginning of the riff. I can play the riff, and the entire rest of the song. But it just sounds better lol. I'm playing it at school tomorrow. I have tonight to perfect it by learning this sweep, any tips on learning it faster? Or should I just keep trying and if I don't get it down before tomorrow, just play the riff without the sweep in it?
Last edited by Mainer at Mar 1, 2012,
Never heard the song before until i just listened to the first minute or so now. I didn't recognise anything that sounded like a sweep? It didn't sound that difficult at all either. I don't see the problem? :s
The key to getting techniques down (in my experience, that is) is to just slow it down until you can play it perfectly. It's all about being in control of every single movement - if you can play it fast but sloppy, you can't really play it imo.
When learning a new technique, I always start out without a metronome, just until my fingers know what to do. From that point on, use a metronome and slowly build up speed as you get more comfortable with the lick.

That's really all there is to it imo - practise a lot and aim for (near) perfect playing first, THEN speed.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
When I learned this song the easiest and quickest way to learn it for me was to do it the old fashioned way. Slowly at first then speed 'er up.

Palm muting it is good, too. That's how I did it.

Also, if you feel confident, play it with the sweep. Any doubt, though, and you should do it without.

EDIT: What he said. ^
BOOM!!!

POP QUIZ!!!!

While Traveling at subsonic speeds during the last one hour of hypersleep, which vector of the Romulan Nebula will suffer the wrath of the impenetrable quickening?

RIP Dio, Dimebag, Randy, John Bonham, and Cliff!
Last edited by skybucket at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by vayne92
Never heard the song before until i just listened to the first minute or so now. I didn't recognise anything that sounded like a sweep? It didn't sound that difficult at all either. I don't see the problem? :s

Its really small, just like the top 3 strings

And thanks LordPino and skybucket. I'll work on it tonight
I know exactly what part you are talking about. I start it off not so much as a sweep, but as a muted string sweep, if that makes sense. Use your ring finger and start at the 9th fret of the A string I do believe and then have it mute the strings (with out sounding them out) and "sweep" down to the 7th fret G string, with your pointer finger. And then go from there. It isn't that difficult to play, just slow it down at first and you'll get it. I might have the notes and string wrong but the fingering should be correct. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am at work and don't have a guitar in front of me to trigger muscle memory. best of luck
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
it's just a rake technique. not a sweep. you don't even need to hit the notes perfectly when you rake it's all about the percussiveness.
Quote by blackbird51
it's just a rake technique. not a sweep. you don't even need to hit the notes perfectly when you rake it's all about the percussiveness.

Pretty much this. The notes all kind of run together on that bit, so it's not swept. Just rake the pick across the strings and let the notes run together.