Hello all,

Last week I made a good deal and bought a Marshall EL84 20/20.
However, I'm fairly new to Tube amps in general and I'm currently in a struggle to find a cheap, but good, Cabinet to match the amp. That said, I managed to get some good prices on almost new Line6 Spider 4x12 Cab (loaded with "custom" Celestions) and on a Peavey Valveking 4x12 Cab.

As I said, I'm a bit newbie in this matters and I'm not sure if the Cabs will be capable of doing their jobs. Why, you may ask.. Well, take the Valveking for example: I see two inputs on the backside but I don't really now if this is a stereo Cab (as I think it's required for the power amp by reading the manual).

So,
1. - Are both "compatible" ? Which output should I use then? The 16 or the 8ohm?
2. - Which one would you choose? I haven't tried any yet but I'm planning to do it this weekend although I think I prefer the Peavey one.
3. - Sorry for the long post and bad english. Many thanks!
Quote by MedicreDemon
I've never heard this "Eruption" song.

Quote by srvman
^^^ but surely putting a flower on your guitar wouldnt be that stupid, or is a floyd rose like a stupid colour or something?
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
I would stay away from the Valveking cab. I'm also pretty sure it is mono only. I don't know anything about the 20/20 but can you confirm that it is stereo? I would think it would be stereo or mono. Ideally, unless you have some super specific application for stereo - I would just go mono for guitar. The extra jack on the Peavey cab is probably just for daisy chaining another cab (but even then it would not be a stereo situation only mono)

Now, the Line 6 cab, although not the greatest - at least has decent speakers AND I believe it has stereo capability as most of their heads do too.

I see you are in Portugal so I'm not going to bother you about why you are settled on these two cabs. Personally I would look for something else - maybe even a good 2x12.

I can also help a bit further with the ohms as you get closer. What exactly are your options on the back of the power amp?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 1, 2012,
Hi 311ZOSOVHJH,

Many thanks for your reply.

On the Marshall, I have two outputs per side. One is for 8 ohm, the other for 16 ohm.
You can read the manual I got here.
Quoting: "-The 20/20 delivers 2x20 Watts into 8 or 16 Ohms.
-The 20/20 must have either an 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm speaker connected to either side. Under no circumstances should both the 8 and 16 Ohm sockets of the same side be used together.
-The 20/20 must have speakers connected to both sides when in use."
So I think that even if really don't use a stereo signal, I'll be forced to use a stereo cab (or two mono cabs). But as I said, I'm not sure!

Well, yeah. Here, it's much more difficult to find any decent piece of gear well treated. Unfortunately, I don't have tons of money to invest in something new or even to buy a very good and used cab - I would pay more than two thirds of the original price to get something probably beaten and such.

Just for curiosity, I would be paying €150 for the Line6 and €180 for the Valveking. Both have, as I've been told, mostly studio use and are fairly new. I like the fact both cab speakers are "custom" but I agree with you, Celestions will probably make some difference.
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
^^^ but surely putting a flower on your guitar wouldnt be that stupid, or is a floyd rose like a stupid colour or something?
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
I can look into this further when I get back later but my gut reaction is...

A 4x12 wired in Series/Parallel will give you a stereo option. Typically cabs like this (Marshall cabs are a good example and probably your Line 6 as well) have 16 ohm speakers in them. When engaged in Stereo you are using both 'sides' of the cab at 8 ohms on each side. In mono all 4 speakers work together as normal and you plug into the 4/16 mono jack. I can explain further later. Therefore - run each side of your amp at 8 ohms each into each side of the cab.

8 and 8 (per side)

always match
Ok, it seems simple.
Please, let me know if the Line6 Cab will do the work so I can talk to the guy and hopefully make a deal.

Thanks!
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
I would need to know more about the Line 6 cab. Do you have a part #?

I believe those 'custom' Celestions are Chinese made Vintage 30s. If those are 16 ohms each and the cab is wired in Series/Parallel then there should be at least 2 jacks on the back of the cab. 8 and 8 (or 16/4 mono).

So one side of your amp will be set to 8 ohms and have a speaker cable to one side of the cab and the other side of your amp will also be set to 8 ohms also and have a speaker cable to the other side of the cab.
No, but I trully believe the cab is identical to this one. So, not a lot of information. Just the base (and cheapest) model.
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
Quote by dudusrb
No, but I trully believe the cab is identical to this one. So, not a lot of information. Just the base (and cheapest) model.

Yeah, I'm 90% sure that those are 16 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel. If they are then you should be good to go with what I said above. If you have a multimeter ($25) you could check for sure*

In this configuration 2 of the speakers are wired in parallel on each side. When wiring in parallel you divide down by 2, so 2 - 16 ohm speakers = an 8 ohm load. The other side will be 8 also.

If the speakers are not 16 each or if it is not wired this way then what I said is off the table, but that is a pretty common config.

*multimeters are not perfect tools for measuring impedence (ohms) but should get you in the ballpark (ie something like 15.2 or 6.8 would designate 16 or 8 respectively).

If you are buying the speaker cab used then these are all valid questions. I would be asking the same thing.

Hope that helps,
It did. Many Thanks!

A good friend of mine just told me about this new company called "Bugera". I googled it and it seems they make copies of some kind of well known designs and sell them way cheaper.

I went to the MusicStore site and I can order one of them NEW for a little more than the before mencioned Line6 and Peavey. Are they any good?

At the same site, I saw some Laney cabs (LV412 and LX412) which were also not that expensive and also bring Celestions Rocket 50 speakers.

Do you think any of this options is better?
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
Last edited by dudusrb at Mar 1, 2012,
Well, that was one vague answer for the 30k questions I've made
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
More important than the cab, what are you running INTO the poweramp?

Don't say your guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'm a noob but I think I'm in an higher level than that (although I honestly like the tone of guitar in the poweramp by itself..). It's a master of taste I think. However, right now, only the digitech pedal is plugged into the marshall. Parallelly, I'm looking for a rocktron piranha which hopefully I'll try at the same time as the peavey cab.

So, on a final note, it would be something like: Jackson->Digitech (whenever I think it is necessary)->Piranha->Marshall-> some cab
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
So you're running your guitar into a digitech pedal into the power amp? What digitech? Because that's your preamp, basically is what you're saying.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yes, but only temporary as I haven't tried yet the piranha. It's the one from my signature: RP300A
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
Any other thoughs on the cabs I wrote earlier? I'm going to try the Line6 in a few hours.
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
Ended up buying the Line6. I actually liked the tone and A/Bed it with an H&K and a Marshall JCM900 just to be sure. Got a little discount over the (already low) price and it became cheap as Hell!

I'm sure there are lots of other cabs which sound much better but this sounds GOOD. Not perfect, just good. Thanks to all! Best regards!
Quote by MedicreDemon

Quote by srvman
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A